IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

I am unsure how they measure jitter and how much of a coverage it actually provides. For sure they are not probing directly at the i2s bus and so we are having the variable of dac implementation (or masking) coming in. If any, it only says how that entire circuit behaves with different input.

I am actually interested in ethernet audio (for the diy dac I'm about to build - dddac1794). I just thought it wasn't a common thing yet. Do we have a thread for it?

20 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

I am actually interested in ethernet audio (for the diy dac I'm about to build - dddac1794). I just thought it wasn't a common thing yet. Do we have a thread for it?

You are correct there are very few "ethernet DACs"-most people are using outboard streamers that convert the ethernet to another digital format such as USB.

There are also ethernet DACs that simply have the full streamer board housed in the same case as the DAC boaard.  AFAIK, very few that go direct from ethernet input to DAC input on the DAC board itself, with ethernet and DAC integrated together. If I'm mistaken someone can correct me. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thank you for saving me all the keystrokes. Perfectly said. 

But YOU don't adhere to what he said.

the subjectivists come and start making OT subjectivist posts at my thread and you did NOT them what Firedog said, nor did you tell them to lighten up.

Instead you delete the entire thread.

That is indeed an act of censorship.

I saved the thread - should I repost it????

Well, an advice (having seen stuff on other domains as well) - never go by X>Y terminology unless you understand the full network. Yes clock extraction is a big deal but it can be done. Heck, DDR is a super complex assembly that samples at both edges of the clock and it has been made robust enough that we rarely encounter issues dude to data loss. You do need a stable input to begin with though. As always, implementation >> buzzword.

That said, I'll never trust anything from ASR chart, let alone take it as a validation of anything. There is hell lot of variables that is often hidden, and doesn't even care to show the filter responses most of the time. Filters are what make a large portion of the sound (and can have consequences on aliasing, phase shifts and other kind of stuff which are audible).

26 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

But YOU don't adhere to what he said.

the subjectivists come and start making OT subjectivist posts at my thread and you did NOT them what Firedog said, nor did you tell them to lighten up.

Instead you delete the entire thread.

That is indeed an act of censorship.

I saved the thread - should I repost it????

Is that the thread you banned me from posting in, simply because I asked for your views on whether USB cables sound different?

Don't get too righteous.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

33 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

No.

Besides that I am not capable of banning you from any thread.

Sorry for misstating. I just tried posting to your thread and it worked. Two previous attempts failed, not sure what that was about. 

I'm still curious though, have you tried hearing differences in USB cables?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

4 hours ago, firedog said:

No, that's what you think should be true in theory, but it isn't necessarily what happens in practice. Check out, as one example, the Matrix Audio streamer DACs, that measure equally well with various inputs. USB performance is excellent, as are the other inputs. You can argue your on paper idea of what is true as much as you want, it doesn't make it true in reality, if a company wants to optimize performance of the various formats. 

It's just one of many audiophile "facts" that isn't a fact. 

+1

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

WRT  Differences between USB cables.

I.M.E.  Using high resolution Videos . e.g. saved or downloaded 1080 .ts streams of live musical performances from SNL etc. is more capable of revealing differences between USB cables, or even a direct USB input than Audio by itself, when  using a suitable Media Player such as an Oppo 103.  This can be tried using these files saved to a USB memory stick plugged into a USB-A to USB-B cable of for example 3M and 5M lengths , and compared with directly plugged  in. Many USB cables will either exhibit errors or even fail completely with typical generic USB cables at lengths of >3M as well as look and sound a little degraded before obvious errors occur. :o.

I have even seen a 5M long USB cable that had no screening !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

45 minutes ago, Teresa said:

perhaps Chris might allow a comedy forum?

😂

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

57 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Yes, it had a joking component and a science component.

2 humorless australians crapped on it and a humorless mihnasotan censored the entire thread

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Perhaps most Yanks should leave Comedy and Humour to the Poms, who do it way better ?

There are a few exceptions, but you sure aren't one of them ! :P

40 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Who doesn't love the comedic insight of Russell Crowe.

Russell Crowe-Although a New Zealand citizen, he has lived most of his life in Australia.