IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

The best USB cable that I have for USB Audio between my desktop and DAC is the Fisual Havana USB 2.0 cable. A bargain at around 5GBP (6USD) for a 0.3m length and the only one in my collection of USB cables that eliminates EMI produced in my DAC and heard at my speakers.

17 hours ago, Taz777 said:

The best USB cable that I have for USB Audio between my desktop and DAC is the Fisual Havana USB 2.0 cable. A bargain at around 5GBP (6USD) for a 0.3m length and the only one in my collection of USB cables that eliminates EMI produced in my DAC and heard at my speakers.

Looks to be a well designed, sanely priced USB cable. Until measurement proves otherwise, a five star recommendation.

"An OFC braid surrounds the quad conductor arrangement at the heart of the Havana USB, topped off with the trademark loose wrap mylar foil which provides additional shielding and completes the unique look. The focus of Havana USB is premium performance without the high price tag. "

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

18 hours ago, Taz777 said:

I would love to try this cable, however no one seems to ship outside of the UK. Can anyone point me in the right directiion for anyone who will ship internationally?

8 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

I would love to try this cable, however no one seems to ship outside of the UK. Can anyone point me in the right directiion for anyone who will ship internationally?

A willing and trusted private individual probably can help you out.

No electron left behind.

19 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Has anyone had any experience with the QED Reference USB A-B?

Impressions?

How would you describe its sound character?

What other cables do you think it is better than?

What is a clear upgrade from this to something better?

You can read about here:

https://audiobacon.net/2019/01/08/mad-scientist-audio-black-magic-usb-cable/

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Thank you for this!

Ive been avoiding out-of-spec boutique cables, but if they have a return policy maybe it’s time to try another. The description in the review sounds a bit like the Curious which was not to my taste. Actually, if I take the perjorative metaphors out of Audio bacon review, maybe the QED is actually the more neutral accurate cable...

In any case thanks for this.

19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

A high quality DAC with galvanic isolation

Huh? I have one of these, a Chord Qutest. Attenuating some noise across a transformer might have some influence over the sound of the incoming cables, but the differences are still chalk and cheese. I dearly wish there wasn’t an obvious audible difference, with different cables all having different audible pros and cons, and USB sound was simply theoretical, but in the real world there is.

38 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

The description in the review sounds a bit like the Curious which was not to my taste.

I think the BM is more similar to the Phasure Lush than to the Curious.

Matt

I use a Tripp Lite USB A - B cable for My PC to Hugo MScaler & TT 2.

The cable looks and is well built and has moulded ferrite’s on it and has gold plated ends. It also has a lifetime guarantee and costs if I can remember, £7 - 10 quid.

I have bought Tripp Lite cables before and have never had any problems, I also use a 3.5mm 2 metre extension for when I’m using iem’s.

Thats my experience with them.

2 hours ago, Phuca said:

I use a Tripp Lite USB A - B cable for My PC to Hugo MScaler & TT 2.

The cable looks and is well built and has moulded ferrite’s on it and has gold plated ends. It also has a lifetime guarantee and costs if I can remember, £7 - 10 quid.

I have bought Tripp Lite cables before and have never had any problems, I also use a 3.5mm 2 metre extension for when I’m using iem’s.

Thats my experience with them.

I am a long-term audiophile but new to computer audio. I had no opinion as to whether USB or ethernet cables affected sound quality. From previous experience, I knew that coax and Toslink cables affect SQ, so I did some listening tests to judge for myself. In my system, I heard no difference between ethernet cables, even CAT5e vs. CAT7. In contrast, USB cables did affect SQ.

From your post, I doesn't sound like you have ever tried another USB cable to see for yourself?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

I am a long-term audiophile but new to computer audio. I had no opinion as to whether USB or ethernet cables affected sound quality. From previous experience, I knew that coax and Toslink cables affect SQ, so I did some listening tests to judge for myself. In my system, I heard no difference between ethernet cables, even CAT5e vs. CAT7. In contrast, USB cables did affect SQ.

From your post, I doesn't sound like you have ever tried another USB cable to see for yourself?

I have tried many different USB cables over the years.

I found that cheap usb cables can be just as good as expensive ones. Infact I don’t think I have even heard a difference in usb cables unless they were faulty or just extremely extremely poor in build quality. 

Personally, I would rather waste my money on something else, but if I needed a usb cable, I would chose the tripp lite ones first before splashing out. Also Volutz make a good shielded USB cable also. 

I have a box full of all different types and makes of usb cable that I’ve managed to collect over the years.

The one’s that I have mentioned work for me, and it goes from my pc into my mscaler. I also have a optical cable going into the back of it also, and at times it’s difficult to tell them apart sq wise.

They work for me.

On 2/7/2019 at 1:17 PM, matthias said:

I think the BM is more similar to the Phasure Lush than to the Curious.

Matt

Based on the description in the review, the above is certainly consistent with my experience with the Phasure Lush and Curious.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

9 hours ago, Allan F said:

Based on the description in the review, the above is certainly consistent with my experience with the Phasure Lush and Curious.

Allan,

very interesting to read your posts about both Lush and Curious.

Is it correct, that you prefer Curious in your existing set-up?

Thanks

Matt

11 hours ago, matthias said:

Allan,

very interesting to read your posts about both Lush and Curious.

Is it correct, that you prefer Curious in your existing set-up?

Thanks

Matt

Yes, Matt, that is correct. When we did the comparisons with the new setup some time ago, my audiophile friend who is my "other set of ears" and I both clearly preferred the Curious.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, christoph said:

I don't think it is very expensive and it comes from Serbia.

I do think it has an absolutely excellent price-performance-ratio ?

Christiaan Punter from hifi-advice.com just published a Review of the Final Touch Audio USB cable Callisto

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/cables-reviews/reviews-digital-cable/final-touch-audio-callisto-usb-cable/

2 hours ago, christoph said:

Christiaan Punter from hifi-advice.com just published a Review of the Final Touch Audio USB cable Callisto

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/cables-reviews/reviews-digital-cable/final-touch-audio-callisto-usb-cable/

I think it is an excellent review. I suggested Christiaan to review the FTA Callisto.

Will it be possible to listen to the Callisto somewhere at HIGH END 2019 in Munich?

Matt

6 minutes ago, matthias said:

I think it is an excellent review. I suggested Christiaan to review the FTA Callisto.

Will it be possible to listen to the Callisto somewhere at HIGH END 2019 in Munich?

Matt

I don't know if FTA will be in Munich.

But you would have to bring your USB cable to compare. I don't think you can hear the influence of a single USB cable in a completely unknown System and I don't think any exhibitor would let you swap cables at the Show.

Where are you located and what DAC do you have?

I have two Callistos but because my Lampi DACs don't Need the power for the handshake, I ordered my USB cables without power...

8 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Oyaide d+ Class A USB 2.0 cable review

Firtsly I confess that I am a USB cable bottom feeder. I don’t believe we should be spending over $100 for a USB cable.

Im sure there are many better cables with higher price tags......

HumanMedia,

Thank you for this information.  I too am a "bottom feeder" and have tried numerous moderately priced cables from a number of companies.  Like you, I've been disappointed in higher priced brands, which I've obtained from friends for extended auditions.  Your description of the Supra USB cable matches my experience.  As another point of reference, I would like to know if you've auditioned the Curious USB Cable or any of the WireWorld models and what opinions you might hold regrading them?

Thanks again!

Hytek

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 2:55 AM, hytechrednek said:

HumanMedia,

Thank you for this information.  I too am a "bottom feeder" and have tried numerous moderately priced cables from a number of companies.  Like you, I've been disappointed in higher priced brands, which I've obtained from friends for extended auditions.  Your description of the Supra USB cable matches my experience.  As another point of reference, I would like to know if you've auditioned the Curious USB Cable or any of the WireWorld models and what opinions you might hold regrading them?

Thanks again!

I have tried the Curious, wasn’t to my taste, I won’t elaborate unless you really want to know why. I might have posted my thoughts in more detail a couple of years ago (in this thread?) 

I’ve only tried the first generation of WireWorld, still have a couple in a drawer, I’m on the train so I can’t check the models, but I think one was called the Ultra Violet (?) and the other has Silver in its name. The Ultra Violet was very uneven and it’s presentation and a bit rough. The Silver was way more even but the highs were a bit pushed. I have had no experience with the last couple of WireWorld ranges.

As the honeymoon wanes Im still loving the Oyaide Class A, and have no desire to try any new USB cables, at least for now 🙂

20 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

I have tried the Curious, wasn’t to my taste, I won’t elaborate unless you really want to know why. I might have posted my thoughts in more detail a couple of years ago (in this thread?) 

I’ve only tried the first generation of WireWorld, still have a couple in a drawer, I’m on the train so I can’t check the models, but I think one was called the Ultra Violet (?) and the other has Silver in its name. The Ultra Violet was very uneven and it’s presentation and a bit rough. The Silver was way more even but the highs were a bit pushed. I have had no experience with the last couple of WireWorld ranges.

As the honeymoon wanes Im still loving the Oyaide Class A, and have no desire to try any new USB cables, at least for now 🙂

Thanks HumanMedia.  Was not looking for a detailed assessment but just a generalization of cables that are popular and you may have heard. Your assessment reflects my experience, so that places the Oyaide in a "Must Try" status for me.

Hytek

A good review of the Oyaide Continental 5S from PF :-

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue60/ramblings.htm

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None