IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps most Yanks should leave Comedy and Humour to the Poms, who do it way better ?

There are a few exceptions, but you sure aren't one of them ! :P

I find myself laughing most often at the posts by the Australians active on this forum...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

Russell Crowe-Although a New Zealand citizen, he has lived most of his life in Australia.

I much prefer the American Sam Kinison  😆

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Wasted time scanning this.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

On 2/15/2020 at 5:14 AM, Kimo said:

I don't know.

I just installed a Supra USB cable between the Innuos and the Satie, and noticed the same thing.  As compared with the Belkin Gold USB, the Supra sounds cleaner, but doesn't have the same weight in the bass.  I am not sure that I would call it brighter, but certainly it sounds lighter, or maybe even a bit whiter.   

There is less grit, but more detail.

I can't tell you which one is better, though I am guessing the Supra is doing something better, since vocals are a little easier to understand.  

I am pretty sure the DAC designer is a bigger fan of AES and coaxial, than USB.  The Sony Blu Ray player pretty much sounds the same through 1 meter of Apogee Wyde Eye and 1.5 meters of Belden 1694 into the Satie, and always a little darker than the Innuos, no matter what USB I have tried.

Quick question. What is the length of the cable. If it is a small cable (0.7m or 1m like the one I have), would it be possible for you to try the 2m variant or longer? (I can't since I had to import the cable I have).

I ran into few interesting blogs, one of which is here: https://www.febo.com/reference/cable_data.html

1 minute ago, manueljenkin said:

Quick question. What is the length of the cable. If it is a small cable (0.7m or 1m like the one I have), would it be possible for you to try the 2m variant or longer? (I can't since I had to import the cable I have).

I ran into few interesting blogs, one of which is here: https://www.febo.com/reference/cable_data.html

It is a 2 meter cable.  I will say that the differences are more noticeable on some material than others.

For example, on my Aqua Velvets Nomad ripped CD, the Supra and the Belkin sound very close, but on my Alan Parsons high resolution download they sound more noticeably different, especially in the bass.  The Belkin simply provides more thump.  Anyone on this board would spot it.

I think that your description was spot on, though I think as the Supra as maybe whiter, as opposed to brighter.  I wouldn't necessarily call it harsher in my system.

And from what I have read online, tin plated copper seems to have a sound that has been described as something akin to what you and I noted.  There is a beguiling aspect to it.

3 minutes ago, Kimo said:

It is a 2 meter cable.  I will say that the differences are more noticeable on some material than others.

For example, on my Aqua Velvets Nomad ripped CD, the Supra and the Belkin sound very close, but on my Alan Parsons high resolution download they sound more noticeably different, especially in the bass.  The Belkin simply provides more thump.  Anyone on this board would spot it.

I think that your description was spot on, though I think as the Supra as maybe whiter, as opposed to brighter.  I wouldn't necessarily call it harsher in my system.

And from what I have read online, tin plated copper seems to have a sound that has been described as something akin to what you and I noted.  There is a beguiling aspect to it.

Thank you. I was torn up if I should get the higher length one assuming velocity factor*length plays any serious role, but I guess the factors are well over that (they may still have a role albeit minor). I think I'll try to import the chord silverwire (also thinking of the other cable someone recommended here, forgot its name).

The bass difference is super easy to spot in my headphone since it's quite a tactile system and changing the cable removed the tactility altogether. The treble is hard to describe but yeah it's kinda lighter the way you say, but I also feel a tizz in my system when the music has any high passed content (which means 90% of the music I listen 👹).

Velocity factor tells you how fast the waves propagate through the wire, a VF of 1 means the signal speed is approx 300mm/ns so

VF=1 a 1m interconnect would have a propagation time of 3.33ns... The difference for the cables listed is from 5ns to 3.9ns, even a two m interconnect is not going to be an issue.

6 hours ago, manueljenkin said:

What the supposedly scientific crowd can't seem to handle, is that the length of the cable is relevant because the change in sound may be caused by some parasitic characteristic of that link which is variable per the length - it's part of, "sometimes things aren't as simple as you would like them to be" nature of the real world ...

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Are you seriously expecting Alex to use the new area?

Alex won't be allowed to talk about his non scientific appeals to authority in the Objective-Fi area. 

He wasn't included in the group of people who endlessly harass subjectivists when they plead to be respectfully ignored. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, marce said:

Velocity factor tells you how fast the waves propagate through the wire, a VF of 1 means the signal speed is approx 300mm/ns so

VF=1 a 1m interconnect would have a propagation time of 3.33ns... The difference for the cables listed is from 5ns to 3.9ns, even a two m interconnect is not going to be an issue.

Have you considered that the differences between USB cables might be how effective and in which ways they act as a wave guide to beam common mode noise/EMI from the USB transmitter to the USB receiver? Probably the entire difference in  cables has to do with the shield/wave guide. Some people might really enjoy certain types of CMN ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.