38 minutes ago, Norton said:

If I recall correctly, he wasn’t a professional conductor but learning this piece was a single minded quest for him?

Indeed. Mahler's 2nd was a singular quest for him. You'll see sniffy comments online disparaging him for being an amateur, but to my ears this recording is an outstanding performance. Maybe a trained musician/conductor will find it flawed - I don't know. I'm neither!

On 2/2/2020 at 7:27 PM, austinpop said:

Indeed. Mahler's 2nd was a singular quest for him. You'll see sniffy comments online disparaging him for being an amateur, but to my ears this recording is an outstanding performance. Maybe a trained musician/conductor will find it flawed - I don't know. I'm neither!

He recorded it twice, with WP and LSO.

I own the MCA Kaplan LSO as much for the extensive second booklet as to hear a fresh conducting voice.  This is probably the second, maybe third, "Resurrection" I own.  Ripped from the Dolby Digital 2.0 version of the live video recording on a normal DVD.

2096790653_71joAHP4LL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.09a58cb738aa24935d2706bccc6229b7.jpg

I did not post an album of the evening due to a lack of time since weeks. Please have mercy now with me. 😉

Fazil Say

Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas [24/96]

Qobuz

I absolutely was not sure when I heard it for the first time, but now I love it. A modern approach by Fazil Say on one hand, but sure not too technical or abstract on the other.

sieleb40p4c8a_1000.jpg