2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

GRAMMY winner.  I am calling it now.

Started checking it out earlier. Positive first impression indeed!

For some reason I do not quite understand I like the avatar he used on the cover of his previous album ;)

Image result for Aaron Diehl Space Time Continuum

But seriously, I did just a quick check of his 2020 one, my (quick!) verdict - some solid straight ahead jazz, I haven't heard anything extraordinary. But like I said it was just a quick listen.

IMHO Grammy Awards are a little like Oscars - not always justified. I personally don't care about them that much. But that's just me.

@Musicophile good to see you back!

17 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

For some reason I do not quite understand I like the avatar he used on the cover of his previous album ;)

But seriously, I did just a quick check of his 2020 one, my (quick!) verdict - some solid straight ahead jazz, I haven't heard anything extraordinary. But like I said it was just a quick listen.

IMHO Grammy Awards are a little like Oscars - not always justified. I personally don't care about them that much. But that's me.

I gave the previous album a solid 4 stars on my blog, and will review the new one if I find time (not easy these days, my blog has been inactive for weeks now). BTW, Diehl really shines in combination with Cecile McLorin Salvant.

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

IMHO Grammy Awards are a little like Oscars - not always justified. I personally don't care about them that much. But that's just me.

Indeed, awards are very subjective and not the end all measure.

I kind of always took the the "continuum" album art to either be a visual to link that title to a "continuous" circle, or ouroboros maybe.  Cheers! 

iq90h9cn71tca_600.jpg

Finally back to reviewing on my blog, starting with this wonderful new Harmonia Mundi release: https://musicophilesblog.com/2020/02/16/isabelle-faust-and-alexander-melnikovs-wonderful-mozart-violin-sonatas-vol-2/

Accidentally I checked this album yesterday. Similar impressions. Vol.1 is also very good!

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

SACD for now using SACDExtractGUI, so listening to the DSD.

Which reminds me - I should rip the CD layer too.

I really wonder why you can't buy these as DSD downloads somewhere. 

In any case, jealous and looking forward to your comments on the SQ.

7 minutes ago, firedog said:

For reasons I've never quite understood, the rights holders often seem not to want the DSD available for download, even months after the SACD has been released and clearly has sold the vast majority of copies it is going to sell overall.
Especially with DSD, which really is a niche audiophile format, it seems it would only help overall sales/profits to allow DSD downloads to be sold, even months after the SACD disc release.  I can't imagine a DSD download would have any negative effect on overall profitability/sales.

My understanding is, MoFi is very conservative, and the SACD format is still a kind of copy protection. Their second format is vinyl.

The prices for an album are not exactly low. Downloads would need a different calculation.

13 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

My understanding is, MoFi is very conservative, and the SACD format is still a kind of copy protection. Their second format is vinyl.

The prices for an album are not exactly low. Downloads would need a different calculation.

I understand, but Acoustic Sounds does the same thing. They contract to remaster an SACD version, and a DSD download doesn't ever go on sale. And they sell massive amounts of DSD downloads overall, at quite healthy prices. It's not clear if the rights holders don't want the DSD download sold, or AS, or both. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)