9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Dylan sings Dylan.

image.thumb.png.e7bc4faef0150b714c77641aa92b8c7f.png

I had hopes, but Dylan doesn't do Dylan that well any more, to my ears. He's smoked a lot of cigarettes over the years, and if it can ruin even Joni Mitchell's voice, it can certainly ruin Dylan's. He does what he can with it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

I had hopes, but Dylan doesn't do Dylan that well any more, to my ears. He's smoked a lot of cigarettes over the years, and if it can ruin even Joni Mitchell's voice, it can certainly ruin Dylan's. He does what he can with it.

Jud, you are dead on. Dylan hasn't been able to do Dylan in a long while. Tragic to see what cigarettes did to him, and especially Joni. To hear her early albums versus the later ones is painful, in terms of the damage to her voice. 

JC

19 hours ago, Jud said:

IMO, from a purely vocal quality point of view, Nashville Skyline was Dylan's best effort.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

10 hours ago, Jud said:

This was true when he wrote the songs, and will be true 50 years from now. 🙂 About how many other people can we say this? Not many. Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, and their modern analogues don't come around very often.

Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, and likely others I am forgetting right now

No electron left behind.

21 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, and likely others I am forgetting right now

I love 'em both, but how often do you hear them on radio now, let alone 60 years down the road, like the Beatles and Dylan? Seems like a topic for its own thread....

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, Jud said:

I love 'em both, but how often do you hear them on radio now, let alone 60 years down the road, like the Beatles and Dylan? Seems like a topic for its own thread....

I agree with you about Tom Waits, but I definitely disagree with you regarding Leonard Cohen. How many covers of Dylan's songs do you hear currently? OTOH, to choose the most obvious example, Cohen's Hallelujah continues to be covered by many artists, including the likes of Andrea Bocelli.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

12 hours ago, Allan F said:

I agree with you about Tom Waits, but I definitely disagree with you regarding Leonard Cohen. How many covers of Dylan's songs do you hear currently? OTOH, to choose the most obvious example, Cohen's Hallelujah continues to be covered by many artists, including the likes of Andrea Bocelli.

Check some more. Dylan is both covered and sampled all the time.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

For those looking for some quite obscure but historic tracks: Dylan for a time had his own radio show, and it is an absolute treasure.

https://www.themetimeradio.com