IGNORED

Article: HARMAN Acquires Roon

interesting!  Part of Roon's comment from their community website:

"If you’ve been reading our posts over the years, you’ve probably sensed that getting a startup to escape velocity is a struggle. That’s because it is; startups with passionate founding teams fail every day. Succeeding as a young company is a constant quest to balance serving the needs of customers with keeping the lights on and bringing on talented people to augment the team. Achieving that balance – particularly without external funding – takes vision, nerves, and a deep reservoir of reckless optimism.

In our new position under the Harman umbrella, we can lean into our vision without the frayed nerves. We look forward to being able to serve the needs of this amazing community with a tremendous amount of support and momentum behind us."

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Samsung > Harman > Roon (corporate nesting):

image.png.547265466aea9e14f45f8fa382c20ee2.png

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I am not sure how to react. All this merging, while good for companies is not necessarily good for consumers. It means less competition.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

While we're speculating, the purchase does provide another avenue to customer's playback choices which could be used in a myriad of ways, without directly owning a streaming service.  Perhaps free Roon for those purchasing Harmon devices.  Maybe a "special" version of Roon that provides additional features exclusive to Harmon customers.  

14 minutes ago, firedog said:

If Harman doesn't interfere much in Roon, it will be a positive development. Roon will be availble on many more devices and be a more important player. It will also give Roon some more power with the streaming services and benefit us. 

Maybe drop the price.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

positive spin:  the Harman companies insist that Roon updates don't mess with the sound  (latest update apparently included tracking that increased network traffic, for example) and are better tested before rollout.   

Mixed feelings, as usual when a small company is bought by a bigger one.

Lifetime user here. I hoped to see Apple Music integration in Roon. Now the odds are even lower. Then again, Apple uses Samsung components in their devices. Who knows, maybe there's still hope.🙂

We'll see how it will evolve and act accordingly.

9 hours ago, botrytis said:

Maybe drop the price.

8 hours ago, daverich4 said:

With Samsung as the owner, how will that affect companies that want to work with Roon but not share all their inner workings with Samsung?

I'm keeping an open mid and hoping for the best.

My impression is that Samsung is very light handed with Harman. They seem to still be doing exactly what they've always done.

I'm sort of doubting that Samsung itself will pay much attention to something as small and several levels removed as Roon.

I'd guess that it would be pretty easy to draw up contracts that would satisfy the desire to protect IP for potential Roon customers.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 minutes ago, Shadorne said:

I am worried. I already feel that Roon has lost direction in the last 3 years. I find I am frustrated waiting for updates/database re-scans etc. I find myself fighting the user interface to know where tracks are and their provenance. Searches now take far too long - it is becoming painful to use (even on the fastest machines money can buy).

I am lifetime user since it started. I am finding user interface is worse than when I started. I am finding bugs when playing two DACs simultaneously. I am finding audible processing problems in several situations - for example turning on parallel/core processing causes audible sound quality degradation on my Mac M2 Max Studio.

Sadly Roon suffers the curse of all software. Initially it is developed by people that use it (like Steve Jobs) and they keep it functional. Finally, at the end stage, the software team is full of people who don’t actually use most features of the software and they are just dumping new features into the application until the point that it does everything with mediocrity and no longer excels at anything.

I have seen this in my engineering career countless times - it seems to be an inevitable unavoidable cycle and Roon is on it’s last legs.

Folks, I am ready to look for alternatives - what are your suggestions?

I would ask in a separate thread.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

4 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I would ask in a separate thread.

I leave it to moderators. The relevance of my remarks are my perception of a software losing its focus and the acquisition by Samsung/Harmon ties into my perception. Obviously many are welcome to disagree - it is somewhat a gut feeling I have about Roon/

Roon life timer.

I haven't really used it years, just applying the updates.  Apple Music integration will never happen, after Apple Music offered lossless I've been pretty much using it exclusively to listen to new stuff.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Just saying, if wanting different - that may help is all. Cheers!

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590