IGNORED

Article: HARMAN Acquires Roon

I hate the fact that streaming services and Roon collect this data. I’ve often thought about my activities being tracked while selecting music to play. Not a fun headspace to be in when trying to relax. 

Plus, it’s about so much more than Roon knowing what someone listens to. All the data about an entire library, times one listens, network scans, zone names, customer name and account info, etc… can all be combined with other data from other sources. 

I totally love playing my immersive Blu-ray rips in JRiver. It feels like I’m off the grid :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My new Volvo has an infotainment system by Google and I hate it because I know for a fact that they track everything they can. It's the exact reason Porsche didn't have Android interoperability in their cars for so long. Google required privacy invading stipulations with it that Porsche execs didn't like. Personally, I would prefer a vehicle with no built in infotainment, but rather just let me plug in my phone, whether Apple or Android. It's better in every way I can think of anyway, and would release the auto manufacturer from either developing their own system, or getting it from someone else.

I want to know how Kia knows people are having sex in their cars though.

No electron left behind.

13 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

My new Volvo has an infotainment system by Google and I hate it because I know for a fact that they track everything they can. It's the exact reason Porsche didn't have Android interoperability in their cars for so long. Google required privacy invading stipulations with it that Porsche execs didn't like. Personally, I would prefer a vehicle with no built in infotainment, but rather just let me plug in my phone, whether Apple or Android. It's better in every way I can think of anyway, and would release the auto manufacturer from either developing their own system, or getting it from someone else.

Technology is a huge reason for people buying new cars. Even if the tech sucks, coming out with version 2 of sucky tech is better than version 1, and people want it. 

Allowing customers to use the car’s screen as a display only, for CarPlay or Android Auto, is a far better experience but doesn’t move as many units for the auto manufacturers. 

Starting to think Neil Young had it right with his 1959 LincVolt Continental. No tracking, electric, sweetness. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LincVolt

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

41 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

sensors & mics ?

There is a camera on the rear view mirror, I think.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Markus8 said:

That actually sums it up perfectly why there is no deeper discussion going on or even possible in their online forum. 
Very sad and strange behavior to silence users when they come up with opinions that don‘t fit into Roon‘s views. 

They own their forum and can do what they want but I agree it is a bad look.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Well I have been using online forums for over 30 years and never come across the way Roon is dealing with „communication“. 
It happened to many users including me that were silenced, so instead of having an open, transparent communication to gag users won’t work in the long run. 

And the Harman deal of course is another event that raises many questions. So no wonder when users get no answers, get blocked etc. and turn their back on Roon. 

On 12/9/2023 at 9:37 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Volvo is Chinese …….complicated.

On 12/9/2023 at 9:54 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Technology is a huge reason for people buying new cars. Even if the tech sucks, coming out with version 2 of sucky tech is better than version 1, and people want it. 

Allowing customers to use the car’s screen as a display only, for CarPlay or Android Auto, is a far better experience but doesn’t move as many units for the auto manufacturers. 

Starting to think Neil Young had it right with his 1959 LincVolt Continental. No tracking, electric, sweetness. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LincVolt

What’s the destination with that car without a QR? Follow the driver, not the car.

• 2 weeks later...

The first Roon / Harman product has been announced. 

Press Release:

Roon Labs and Harman International Unveil Groundbreaking Nucleus Titan at CES

Nucleus Titan melds cutting-edge performance with breathtaking aesthetics, delivering

the ultimate platform for Roon music software.

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA (January 9th, 2024) -

Roon , the world's most innovative listening experience for music lovers, in conjunction with Harman International , is thrilled to announce the arrival of Nucleus Titan - its next-generation high-performance Nucleus server at CES 2024.

Nucleus Titan maximizes recent advances in manufacturing processes and hardware customization to deliver an unparalleled premium device specifically intended for Roon's library management, music exploration, and multi-room music player software.

Nucleus, long recognized as the first choice of those seeking the best possible server/streamer

option for Roon, takes a giant step forward with Nucleus Titan. Titan supersedes the Nucleus

Plus with updated hardware and performance - providing effortless set-up and worry-free

operation paired with design aesthetics that demand admiration.

Nucleus Titan is Roon's new flagship server. It fuses precision manufacturing and hardware

customization with unsurpassed design. Customers choose from three customizable shell

material options – metal, stone, and wood – to create a one-of-a-kind server/streamer statement

piece perfectly matched to their tastes and listening space. Nucleus Titan, starting at $3,699.00

(U.S.), is the only choice for those seeking a premium Roon server that promises a superlative

Roon experience paired with breathtaking visual appeal.

● Nucleus Titan features include:

○ Precision-machined billet aluminum enclosure crafted from a solid block of

premium metal.

○ Stunning aesthetics, designed for display and admiration.

○ Available in three elemental shell finishes: metal, stone* (composite), and wood.

○ Elegant self-cooling design with silent, fan-less operation.

○ Customizable internal solid state storage: 2, 4, or 8 TB options.

○ Upgraded connectivity: two USB-C, two USB-A, and two audio-only HDMI ports.

○ Accommodates the most voluminous music libraries and multi-zone audio

configurations.

○ Exterior design echoes Roon's music discovery features and the eclectic nature of

music collections.

○ Nucleus Titan is the only premium server/streamer designed specifically for Roon

by the team that created Roon.

“Nucleus Titan continues our long-standing goal of providing customers with Roon server

options that correspond with their specific needs and desires. CPU and SSD technology has

evolved significantly since we first released Nucleus, and we’ve taken advantage of those

innovations. With Titan, we’ve created a high-performance device that fuses precision

manufacturing with aesthetics that evoke the interwoven nature of our music collections and

Roon’s finesse for music exploration. We’re very excited with the results and our ability to provide our customers with the ultimate Roon software platform”

said Enno Vandermeer, Roon

CEO & Co-Founder.

1 minute ago, firedog said:

Basically, you are paying 1500-$2000 for the aesthetics. Not putting that down, just giving perspective. That's the only unique/added feature over what you can get elsewhere by other PC vendors.

If it's like the current Nucleus, it will also offer integration with Crestron and possibly other limited features not available on DIY installs. If that's worth it or not is up to each person obviously. 

Would be good to get the specs on the new internal parts. 

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If it's like the current Nucleus, it will also offer integration with Crestron and possibly other limited features not available on DIY installs. If that's worth it or not is up to each person obviously. 

Would be good to get the specs on the new internal parts. 

I think if it looks really good it will sell. Like I said, not putting it down. I understand the looks are very important to some people.

As far as specs and performance, I'd be interested to see how powerful it is. Can it do serious upampling and DSD conversion etc for HQP users? Few fanless silent PCs can, without getting very hot.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

This will be a difficult market position: good looking is also a Mac Mini and also most likely more performing - at the latest with the new M3 (Pro). And of course for DIY power users who are configuring their own machine. 

Actually strange to do such an announcement without any concrete performance specs.