IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

Using the class action gambit in this context is why I have been advocating for class action reform for years. Each individual member of the class will get peanuts and the lawyers, from all sides millions. Such a class action could result in MoFi and their owner, Music Direct , going out of business, all so that people who spent way too much money for a piece of vinyl can get pennies on the dollar. Where is the social utility here? After all, the album that they bought is of the artist they thought, plays just fine on their TT and by all accounts, sounds good. Is it defective as a product in a legal sense, because it has a digital step. I think not.

2 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I have been in this hobby for decades, but I learned all kinds of stuff from the linked article. I don’t know a jurisdiction in which the “reasonable “ consumer is expected to have such an expert level of knowledge or, frankly, why knowing that analogue tapes don’t age well translates into an awareness that digital steps by necessity are used in the MoFi technology. 

This thread appears to have lost sight of the initial, threshold legal issue: MoFi advertising omitted a fact that MoFi clearly had reason to know was material to the target audience.  Whether there is a damages case is a different matter, of course, but this remains the threshold legal question whether you think the purchasers are or are not idiots for failing to suss out that there “must” have been an undisclosed digital step and whether you think MoFi products are so great and trustworthy that it shouldn’t matter what their advertising says or omits.

Sorry Mike I heard about this on the radio listening to rock stations in the nineties. Considering what they are expected to about New Zealand honey I disagree.

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

Using the class action gambit in this context is why I have been advocating for class action reform for years. Each individual member of the class will get peanuts and the lawyers, from all sides millions. Such a class action could result in MoFi and their owner, Music Direct , going out of business, all so that people who spent way too much money for a piece of vinyl can get pennies on the dollar. Where is the social utility here? After all, the album that they bought is of the artist they thought, plays just fine on their TT and by all accounts, sounds good. Is it defective as a product in a legal sense, because it has a digital step. I think not.

Ah, the "everyone loses" gambit ... something that mankind is particularly adept at doing; making sure that only the people who have zero interest in the actual issues at hand, the lawyers, are winners, and everyone else is worse off ... let's pause for a moment, and give a cheer for the, er, 'intelligence' of the human race ...

1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

Let’s say that you are correct.  

Does that mean that today’s consumers should be expected to be aware that there must be a digital step added to the production when a very detailed disclosure of the production process omits that fact?  

If they should be, it wouldn’t be news that MoFi used digital processing because everyone would know they must have, right?  And, if that were the case, I honestly have no idea why this disclosure caught pretty much the entire industry offguard, because it should have been public knowledge years ago, regardless of what the advertising said or omitted.

That’s an interesting take. I like it. The one part I’m unsure of is if consumers were willfully blind to it and people like to pile on when “rich guys” get screwed. 

I don’t think anyone really knows the status of any specific tape until it comes out of storage. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Iving said:

In the 1980s I was headhunted by a USA insurance co. wanting to establish itself in the City near the Lloyds of London insurance market. A British (well - Irish by roots - as I am) guy slightly older than me had gone there first. His early reports about his American colleagues in relation to their geographical understandings ran along such lines. He said that USA folks had a world map mental image like this (I just drew it up from memory to illustrate):

image.thumb.png.d82b5b8817b3a000013b3c7b04721344.png

And yes - not unlike this:

geography cartoon maps of America and of America's view of the world |  Intercultural Meanderings

Americans in that insurance office would walk past me saying in their best British accent (either Plum = posh, or Cockney) "cup of tea" and "anyone for tennis".

We were equally amused that to them the whole of the UK was "England". Unless they were referring to Scotland. In which case things could get a little confusing.

All ignorance is scary. It's not just about US High School as Jay parodied. We have our own problems that can be traced back to lack of education. And further to the East similar. Shows the importance of "High School" (and beyond) for everyone.

The education gap between their respective memberships is now the defining difference between our two political parties.  This alone tells me that we never will be on the same wavelength ever again.  But we digress.... 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

5 hours ago, Iving said:

Scary

Americans generally aren't taught geography; and b/c they live in a giant country with oceans on 2 sides and one major language, they don't feel they need to know much about the world. Most Americans don't have a passport and never leave the US. Travel for them is in the US. 

Beyond that, I've always had a problem with the "Jay-walking" bit: yes, some of the people are ignoramuses; but others I think are so intimidated by the presence of Jay Lenno that their brains just don't function.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I often buy CDs just on seeing they have been reviewed.  This was the case a month or so ago when I saw Mark Smotroff's July 6 (pre-MoFi news) Audiophile Review coverage of Ella Fitzgerald at the Hollywood Bowl.  I was disappointed with the sonics (maybe I should read the reviews? haha), so returned to the review just now.  HA!  It includes a pragmatic discussion of all the issues here--how tech and media issues interact with sonics, how these things are described to listeners, and how to put that into a buying decision context.  Hat's off to Mr Smotroff, he anticipated the whole thing:

Sonics wise, Ella At The Hollywood Bowl sounds very good all things considered — it is after all a 60-plus year old analog tape captured from the soundboard, recorded live without a net. I enjoyed listening to it on vinyl a bit more than I did the high resolution 96 kHz, 24-bit stream on Qobuz (click here) which sounded a bit bright. So the vinyl presentation helps to warm things up — a little bit. Curiously, the album was not completely available yet on Tidal but the couple of songs that are there (click here) sounded a bit less bright (if you will), streaming at 48 kHz, 24-bit resolution.  It is also streaming on Apple Music (click here for Hi Res Lossless).

AR-EllaHollywoodBowlPinkVMP450.jpg

I do suspect this original tape source was digitally remastered for this release. In the album liner notes, a company called Izotope — which manufactures digital audio workstation type software — is credited. I don’t view this as necessarily bad but the result is a more modern sounding release than one might expect from a 1958 live concert captured on analog reel-to-reel tape. This production style is probably a 21st century necessity if this recording was to have any chance at a life on the Internet as well as modern day radio and TV applications. So, analog purists do set your expectations accordingly.

In the world of Grateful Dead tape traders, this is what people used to call “a crisp soundboard.” 

19 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

The education gap between their respective memberships is now the defining difference between our two political parties. 

There are plenty of "educated" people who are ignorant. Education - as defined by a degree - doesn't mean you actually know much or have insight.

At least up till Corona, the anti-Vax movement was dominated by "highly educated" people, for one example. 

Lots of Americans with Bachelor and advanced degrees know zip about geography, general history, mathematics, and science.

They simply aren't taught it and the culture doesn't value that knowledge outside of areas where it has a direct economic value. 

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Just now, PeterG said:

I often buy CDs just on seeing they have been reviewed.  This was the case a month or so ago when I saw Mark Smotroff's July 6 (pre-MoFi news) Audiophile Review coverage of Ella Fitzgerald at the Hollywood Bowl.  I was disappointed with the sonics (maybe I should read the reviews? haha), so returned to the review just now.  HA!  It includes a pragmatic discussion of all the issues here--how tech and media issues interact with sonics, how these things are described to listeners, and how to put that into a buying decision context.  Hat's off to Mr Smotroff, he anticipated the whole thing:

Sonics wise, Ella At The Hollywood Bowl sounds very good all things considered — it is after all a 60-plus year old analog tape captured from the soundboard, recorded live without a net. I enjoyed listening to it on vinyl a bit more than I did the high resolution 96 kHz, 24-bit stream on Qobuz (click here) which sounded a bit bright. So the vinyl presentation helps to warm things up — a little bit. Curiously, the album was not completely available yet on Tidal but the couple of songs that are there (click here) sounded a bit less bright (if you will), streaming at 48 kHz, 24-bit resolution.  It is also streaming on Apple Music (click here for Hi Res Lossless).

AR-EllaHollywoodBowlPinkVMP450.jpg

I do suspect this original tape source was digitally remastered for this release. In the album liner notes, a company called Izotope — which manufactures digital audio workstation type software — is credited. I don’t view this as necessarily bad but the result is a more modern sounding release than one might expect from a 1958 live concert captured on analog reel-to-reel tape. This production style is probably a 21st century necessity if this recording was to have any chance at a life on the Internet as well as modern day radio and TV applications. So, analog purists do set your expectations accordingly.

In the world of Grateful Dead tape traders, this is what people used to call “a crisp soundboard.” 

Don't think there's much reason to prefer a high res version of such an old album from tape. The tape recorders in the 50's and even into the 60's (not to mention the microphones) didn't record anything above 15k. 

You want a good remaster, but in such a case there's unlikely any reason a hi-res version would snecessarily sound better than a Redbook one. 

5 hours ago, Iving said:

In the 1980s I was headhunted by a USA insurance co. wanting to establish itself in the City near the Lloyds of London insurance market. A British (well - Irish by roots - as I am) guy slightly older than me had gone there first. His early reports about his American colleagues in relation to their geographical understandings ran along such lines. He said that USA folks had a world map mental image like this (I just drew it up from memory to illustrate):

image.thumb.png.d82b5b8817b3a000013b3c7b04721344.png

And yes - not unlike this:

geography cartoon maps of America and of America's view of the world |  Intercultural Meanderings

Americans in that insurance office would walk past me saying in their best British accent (either Plum = posh, or Cockney) "cup of tea" and "anyone for tennis".

We were equally amused that to them the whole of the UK was "England". Unless they were referring to Scotland. In which case things could get a little confusing.

All ignorance is scary. It's not just about US High School as Jay parodied. We have our own problems that can be traced back to lack of education. And further to the East similar. Shows the importance of "High School" (and beyond) for everyone.

Well, having lived for a long time in New York City many years ago, I would suggest that for those inhabitants the map looks different, although the idea is similar.  Manhattan is the center and everything outside that 13 X 2 mile island is the world of the ignorami.   Same thinking for folks who grew up in Los Angeles, albeit on the other side of the world.  

I do like the Scotchland label.    

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

3 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

The education gap between their respective memberships is now the defining difference between our two political parties.  This alone tells me that we never will be on the same wavelength ever again.  But we digress.... 

The explanation of the rift in the U.S. that makes most sense to me is the result of a survey regarding one's feeling about authoritarianism (pro/con).  Does that correlate with education differences?  But, back to making MoFi pay for its sins of omission or commission (depending on point of view).  How quaint.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

17 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Let’s say that you are correct.  

Does that mean that today’s consumers should be expected to be aware that there must be a digital step added to the production when a very detailed disclosure of the production process omits that fact?  

If they should be, it wouldn’t be news that MoFi used digital processing because everyone would know they must have, right?  And, if that were the case, I honestly have no idea why this disclosure caught pretty much the entire industry offguard, because it should have been public knowledge years ago, regardless of what the advertising said or omitted.

Mike and Jud lets step back from the audio world for a bit. And look at mainstream life in America.

It has been reported that old movies are deteriorating, and the efforts made to restore some of these. Sadly, many were lost. Many old radio shows suffered the same fate.

In the business world tape deterioration of business records was frequently discussed. Tape backups? The horror stories were and still are common. And the floppy disks used to hold files. Well, when you needed them, failure was common.

Now let’s go home. Your camera film could deteriorate as could the negatives. As for VHS tapes, how many ads on TV have, we seen for recovering and converting you tapes to CD or DVD?

This is the environment of the American consumer.

Last night on one of the multiple channels that exclusively show old movies as programming, Grand Hotel was featured, released in 1932. This is the environment of the American consumer.

I worked closely with the IT department of a major business segment of my employer, a Fortune 10 company, for 24 years, and remained blissfully unaware of tape backup horror stories.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.