IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

A lawsuit has been filed over the analog production chain of certain Mofi records. The case raises some interesting questions. Is it probable the plaintiffs could reasonably rely on evidence they can present that they relied on misrepresentations, or did they ignore obvious problems with an all-analog production chain and the doubts many have expressed over master tapes? Can the defendants rely on the Cheerios case, nobody can reasonably believe Cheerios would reduce cholesterol? And in Illinois have the courts ever ruled on this type of alleged misrepresentation? If they haven’t, does the first bite is free doctrine apply?  In other words, we didn’t know our statements violated consumer protection laws. We promise not to do it again.

26 minutes ago, firedog said:

How does it "filter out" the distortion in a way that mastering to digital can't?

What you really seem to be saying, without realizing it, is mastering to vinyl and LP production adds on more distortion, but a type you prefer to listen to.

Actually I borrowed this theory from Tony Faulkner who recorded this album:Screenshot_2022_0811_193209.jpg.375f412518f6ba7f4f8188187837c08e.jpg

3 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Do we really have to turn this into yet another digital v. Vinyl thread?

I’m following the case on PACER and have talked with Mike Esposito briefly.

It should get down to whether the plaintiffs and any members of the class are reasonable consumers.  The complaint says they are audiophiles, strike one, they bought expensive vinyl records, strike two.

And since dog food is a frequently litigated item this case should go the dogs.

Just now, Rt66indierock said:

Are those people reasonable consumers?

I'm torn.  Most vinyl aficionados that I've met seem to believe they understand the tech behind how modern vinyl (especially vinyl sourced from pre-digital masters) is made.

But I'm struggling to understand how they thought it was possible that MoFi was taking multiple passes at a master tape every time the Ultradisc One-Step "Convert" wore out.  Anyone who has been around any vintage master tapes know how fragile they are and know that you typically get one, and only one opportunity to capture it.

It makes me wonder if any alleged "AAA" vinyl from the modern age is legit.

Put another way...

Before the class action lawsuit:

spacer.png

After the class action lawsuit:

spacer.png

See the difference?

39 minutes ago, Rexp said:

This issue here is MoFo were dishonest and anyone supporting their position is either naive or also a dishonest person.

It might look that way to someone not well versed in American Law. But the plaintiffs must show they are reasonable consumers. As I noted earlier this will prove difficult.

12 hours ago, Rexp said:

Actually I borrowed this theory from Tony Faulkner who recorded this album:Screenshot_2022_0811_193209.jpg.375f412518f6ba7f4f8188187837c08e.jpg

Tony Faulkner made some great recordings, he was a talented recording engineer. His views on recording formats were more controversial and, as I see it, not exactly based on a firm knowledge of the technology. He could make a great sounding recording regardless of the format used.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond