IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

An additional note: My views on this have zero to do with trusting the man, or supporting companies over consumers or any of that. To me it can be summed up by this, the view from the top is always best. 

None of us has the top view on how MoFi creates products. We don’t know why decisions are made. We think we know the best way to do things, but these beliefs are based on what? Most certainly not the album MoFi is working on right now. 

There’s a time to trust the professionals and buy the album to see if you like it. 

MoFi could use DSD for the sole reason that it’s easier to make thousands more albums, even though it sounds worse. However, people have said these one step albums are the best sounding vinyl records of these releases, ever made. I think the professionals got it right. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Question for you: Does this tell you anything about how the product sounds in your system?

First of all, I did not ask for a lecture as to what makes a good DAC, and never expressed the view point than only good parts make a good DAC. 

Second of all, why would it matter what I would infer from that product description? The point is that it's there, with a profusion of technical detail that very few people understand. The manufacturer is explaining  why their product will achieve "new sonic heights". 

It's there for a simple reason: many audiophiles do take that into consideration. Is that a good thing? I don't know.

AudiophileStyle is itself a platform for many engineers to provide technical explanations. Do these engineers design their products based on what AudiophileStyle readers think are the right "parts" or "techniques", I don't know either. You would have to ask them. I'll assume they design their products based on what they think is best. 

But to phrase my initial question differently, since you did not find it necessary to answer it - if you were to find out that one of these engineers lied about their work on the forum, would they not be banned? Or would you blame your forum members instead? 

19 minutes ago, hopkins said:

AudiophileStyle is itself a platform for many engineers to provide technical explanations. Do these engineers design their products based on what AudiophileStyle readers think are the right "parts" or "techniques", I don't know either. You would have to ask them. I'll assume they design their products based on what they think is best. 

I know the answer to this question. Sometimes they design it how they want, other times they design it how the customer wants. I know one company that put in a Toslink input just because a reviewer wanted it on a previous product. 

19 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Second of all, why would it matter what I would infer from that product description?

That's the whole reason for the discussion. People want more details about MoFi releases or releases in general. I asked why. People believe it tells them something that is useful, but I don't believe it does. That's why I asked you what you can infer from al those marketing descriptors. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Second of all, why would it matter what I would infer from that product description? The point is that it's there, with a profusion of technical detail that very few people understand. The manufacturer is explaining  why their product will achieve "new sonic heights". 

It's curious that so few say, "it will be more accurate" x-D - the latter is boring, implying an end in sight; far better to tantalise one's fantasies, beguiling the consumer to believe that there is indeed lots beyond, er, infinity ... :).

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Reading the content of this forum, it seems pretty obvious that many here take into account product descriptions to some extent

Whether the technical data is useful,  is a good question, but if it's there, it better be correct and honest, that's my opinion.

Whether you believe that full analog is useless, and that those who purchased those albums based on that criteria  got what they deserved does not change the fact that the company in question knowingly deceived its customers. 

That being said, you are right in reminding everyone that the end result is what counts. 

To that we agree. 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Remember the THD+N wars? Turns out when people got that info, they though it mattered. Manufacturers sacrificed other parts of the design just to get lower THD+N. That’s what armchair engineers thought was important. Turns out, it wasn’t what they thought. 

I don't know how familiar I am with this story and would be interested to know more if you'd be willing to say something about it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

I don't know how familiar I am with this story and would be interested to know more if you'd be willing to say something about it.

I messed up the abbreviation. THD wars, not THD+N. 

http://www.audiophileaddicts.com/2017/07/lower-distortion-often-doesnt-equal-better-sound-quality/

13 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

We had SPARS codes. What did those tell you about a recording's sound quality?

I can recall a time in the early 90's when my mates and I were looking though CD collections trying to find discs that were DDD, because these would be the latest technology and sound the best. This seemed very important at the time.

Typically they were not the best sounding, but this was more to do with the actual music on the discs than anything else.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My views on this have zero to do with trusting the man, or supporting companies over consumers or any of that. To me it can be summed up by this, the view from the top is always best.

This is very difficult to read.

mQa?

Plus it's just not rational. Experts (like lawyers) disagree with each other.

We, in so far as we are legitimate stakeholders, weigh up the relevant information and make up our own minds (unless we choose to be brainless/unthinking about such matters - I have seen very few examples on this Forum).

There’s a time to trust the professionals and buy the album to see if you like it. 

This is OK provided the product is not misrepresented.

MoFi could use DSD for the sole reason that it’s easier to make thousands more albums, even though it sounds worse. However, people have said these one step albums are the best sounding vinyl records of these releases, ever made. I think the professionals got it right.

1. I feel sure I have read at least a couple of instances of you also regarding vinyl with digits as anomalous (in so many words).

2. Based on what? How many MoFi DSD Albums have you heard? Did you listen to any benchmarks such as analogue-era first issues?

30 minutes ago, Confused said:

I can recall a time in the early 90's when my mates and I were looking though CD collections trying to find discs that were DDD, because these would be the latest technology and sound the best. This seemed very important at the time.

Typically they were not the best sounding, but this was more to do with the actual music on the discs than anything else.

I remember that too,  but was working hard the other way around - avoiding DDD!

5 hours ago, Jud said:

I think the difficulty with saying it was OK to leave out information in this instance is that the impression it created was deceptive. MoFi's diagram of its process and the name "One Step" simply weren't true.

Legally speaking, I think that's enough to meet a particular element of a deceptive marketing case, but (to repeat something I've said earlier in the thread) I don't see what MoFi owes the consumers besides a refund.

Deciding to leave information out of your marketing because you don't want consumers getting into technical details they don't understand is a legitimate decision that consumers can choose to react to as they wish. Picking and choosing marketing information so as to leave consumers with a false impression of your product is not the same thing and is of course wrong.

Reminds me of DAC manufacturers who refuse to disclose what chips they are using or even alter circuit boards so the names are erased. They've  been burned by armchair engineers who are sure a certain component is "meaningful" in how the entire device sounds. They don't disclose that information so that an entire device isn't rejected on the mistaken beliefs of audiophiles who are (mistakenly) certain that a certain part means an entire device will sound a certain way.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

With respect to manufacturers providing the customers "what they want" instead of "what they need", one could argue that there is some of that going on with "measurements", especially when it comes to digital audio, but also with amplifiers and speakers. I'm not "trolling" by saying this, its just part of the audio landscape today. This is true in many other fields than audio as well. 

Another comment: marketing has evolved, and in audio it has become very deeply tied to the technical features. You can't sell audio equipment simply by claiming that "It's toasted". 

4 hours ago, Confused said:

I was in that same boat! After a couple DDD albums I realized it had zero to do with sound quality. 

4 hours ago, Iving said:

mQa?

Plus it's just not rational. Experts (like lawyers) disagree with each other.

We, in so far as we are legitimate stakeholders, weigh up the relevant information and make up our own minds (unless we choose to be brainless/unthinking about such matters - I have seen very few examples on this Forum).

This is OK provided the product is not misrepresented.

1. I feel sure I have read at least a couple of instances of you also regarding vinyl with digits as anomalous (in so many words).

2. Based on what? How many MoFi DSD Albums have you heard? Did you listen to any benchmarks such as analogue-era first issues?

I absolutely believe you can’t make an album sound more accurate by printing it on plastic and dragging a needle across it. This shouldn’t be misconstrued as a digital step makes it worse. Perhaps it could in some cases or not. I trust those who have done this for decades to figure out how to make the best sounding albums. 

I base my belief that MoFi produced the best sounding versions of these albums, on the opinions of people I know, who have nearly every version, comparing them. 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I absolutely believe you can’t make an album sound more accurate by printing it on plastic and dragging a needle across it.

presume you mean digital album

yes - very much agree

there's another argument/elephant lurking here about release of digital alternatives - right from flat dsd to "steps" along the way to final product - and whilst the general buying public may be blithe about provenance i doubt that applies to most audiophiles who frequent this and peer forums.

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I trust those who have done this for decades to figure out how to make the best sounding albums. 

I base my belief that MoFi produced the best sounding versions of these albums, on the opinions of people I know, who have nearly every version, comparing them. 

OK but to my eyes your confidence in what other "people" say about MoFi DSD (second hand info) such that you can say "I think they got it right" sits at odds with your disparaging view of "people" who confuse provenance with sq ... and your view that listening/TBVO (first hand/own ears) is good and judging sq on external refs such as provenance bad.

1 hour ago, Iving said:

OK but to my eyes your confidence in what other "people" say about MoFi DSD (second hand info) such that you can say "I think they got it right" sits at odds with your disparaging view of "people" who confuse provenance with sq ... and your view that listening/TBVO (first hand/own ears) is good and judging sq on external refs such as provenance bad.

At some point in our lives we have to trust other people. The people I trust have proven themselves to me and I’ve often reached the same conclusions as them on other matters. Not bulletproof logic, but plenty good for me and this hobby I so enjoy.  

Provenance has zero to do with sound quality. That’s a hill I’ll die on. For example, we have the full provenance of Jack White’s album A Letter Home. An AAA recording for sure. Even direct to disc!

“The entire album, which consists of covers of classic songs by artists Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Gordon Lightfoot and others, was recorded in a refurbished 1947 Voice-o-Graph vinyl recording booth at Jack White's Third Man Records recording studio in Nashville, Tennessee.”

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

At some point in our lives we have to trust other people. The people I trust have proven themselves to me and I’ve often reached the same conclusions as them on other matters. Not bulletproof logic, but plenty good for me and this hobby I so enjoy.  

Trust in human affairs is a precious thing. Ask any marriage. 

Trust can be something earned, but is even more noble, arguably, when it may not have earned its stripes. Same way we love a friend or a spouse in spite of their falings - or even how they might have offended us.

Trust in Hi-Fi and Hi-Fi people. Well yes I kind of trust Linn for this and that - based on experience.

But mostly I want information to make up my own mind.

I don't want anybody making my decisions for me.

Above all else - I do not want to be deceived - especially hoodwinked for money.

I think most folks are in agreement with this whatever the vagaries of the US legal system.

It seems odd to me to promote the currency of trust in a thread about deception - whatever the legal outcomes.

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Provenance has zero to do with sound quality. That’s a hill I’ll die on.

No need I hope. Certainly not on my account!

Much of the process documentation for recordings is for marketing and has nothing to do with ensuring a specific result. 

Ansel Adams with an iPhone 3 camera will shoot better photos than me with a new gigapixel camera. We could document the tech and the process, and neither would be beneficial for consumers, other than to prove its all about the people.