IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

I have to admit I really like the new version mostly because the iPad 11” now has a vertical option. And with vertical scrolling of the albums, it makes sense. Also I never liked how many times i have to keep swiping horizontally to get to my albums. Continuous scrolling makes a lot more sense to me. Maybe there was the option in Roon 1.7 but I never noticed it. Just like I just found out there is dark mode in Roon 1.8.

I frequently listen to music while reading off my iPad. So it’s is somewhat annoying to be reading a magazine or a book in portrait mode and then having to turn the iPad to landscape mode just to use Roon and then flip the iPad again.

The purple.

It's an abomination.

Make it stop.

Please.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

12 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

I have Roon client on a Win PC and Roon core is offline (it's going to stay like that for the moment). How can I update only the client? Everytime I start it is asking to locate the Core and I cannot go further. 

Essentially, you can't. If you update the client and not the core, the client will not be able to communicate with the core. Alternately, if you update the core and not the client, the same thing will happen. You have to update both of them. However, once you connect the core to the client, there is a setting to update automatically or not, and you can choose which to update, and which not to update. Although, as I said, if you do only one of them you wont be able to use Roon.

No electron left behind.

The Roon guys have already put out a fix for some of the issues and have replied to posts on their forum that they are going to put in some more fixes for users concerns in the next bugfix/update.

Yeah, they made some mistakes. But at least they are willing to admit some of them and are trying to put out some quick fixes.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Well, I now I have a nice baby blue across the board instead of purple and orange thanks to some intrepid users over on the Roon forum who figured out how to change some code. Will need to change it again each update, but it's a start and a lot more pleasant... Looking into other color schemes. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.50.22 PM.png

Is this only on MAC, or also Windows? Link to the explanation at the Roon site?

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

7 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Well, I now I have a nice baby blue across the board instead of purple and orange thanks to some intrepid users over on the Roon forum who figured out how to change some code. Will need to change it again each update, but it's a start and a lot more pleasant... Looking into other color schemes. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.50.22 PM.png

I haven't seen that post, but have been looking for it!

It seems it would be pretty simple to implement a color-picker control to change 1) Background color; 2) Accent color; 3) Return to default

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

5 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

I haven't seen that post, but have been looking for it!

It seems it would be pretty simple to implement a color-picker control to change 1) Background color; 2) Accent color; 3) Return to default

It's gone. I have a feeling the Roon team probably not to keen on users going in and changing code. Good thing is we know it can be easily done. Hopefully they'll soon give users some choice in themes. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

5 hours ago, firedog said:

Is this only on MAC, or also Windows? Link to the explanation at the Roon site?

Thread is gone. Can be done Windows or Mac though (using Terminal in Mac). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I’m still surprised by how much people didn’t like the Roon 1.8 update.

Yes, I can see how for some people who are used to horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling is annoying. 

And color preferences are so personal, it feels weird not to have a little bit more control over the color scheme.

And definitely the way the credits are setup is so different from Roon 1.7, while I prefer the current setup where I can click on each individual and link to their work, I do wish there is an option just to show the credits in list format.

But for me, the improvements in classical music sorting and filing for Roon 1.8 simply outweighs all the supposed negatives. I think for the longest time, I’ve only used Roon as a music player, as if it’s JRiver or pretty much any other software out there to play my own music, except of course, I can also use Roon to listen to Tidal. I never understood the catalog/library feature which people rave about being able to go from one artist to another because of their association in the music. This is because those features are not as well implemented for classical music as compared to for non-classical music. But Roon 1.8 completely changed all of that. I found myself looking at all the different versions of Beethoven Symphony No. 5 on Tidal with much greater ease, and finding the same conductor’s performances with as much ease as most of you have been doing with your favorite artist for non-classical music.

To me, some of Roon 1.8 issues are purely UI related and we all have our preferences so it probably is not super hard for Roon to create an old UI option for users who prefer Roon 1.7 UI, e.g. horizontal scrolling. Other issues are more related to UI display issues like colours of the boxes and being an Apple/iOS user, I actually think that sometimes there can be too many options for too many people, which makes the codes harder to maintain over time. But slightly more options are obviously welcome.

I think all upgrades have teething problems but I suspect once the dust settles, people will grow to like Roon 1.8 (or maybe 1.8.2)

For me, the absolute worst part of the new design is the unreadability of paragraph text. Renders the whole discovery thing moot if one can't easily read a line or two of text without feeling dizzy and wanting to fall over. 

9 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I wish I knew the codes for other colors - in fact just a mid gray would be nice. Anything but purple and orange! 

atom-blue                         #6ba2d9
atom-blue-hover                   #6badd9
atom-blue-pressed                 #6badd9
atom-blue-insensitive             #40%6B6ED9

atom-blue-mapping                 #578fb5
atom-onebox-blue                  #508bb3

atom-orange                       #6ba2d9
atom-orange-hover                 #6badd9
atom-orange-insensitive           #6badd9
atom-orange-mapping               #C9544B

These are Hex colours. See here for more choice

https://www.color-hex.com/color-names.html

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

They changed the thread title and put it under tinkering. Kore complete instructions there.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/customizing-the-roon-theme/142548/53

A bit more tweaking and pretty much have it where I want it. Not much to do about the blank spaces though (this is on my 27" NEC).

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.48.30 AM.jpg

Here's mine. Changed out the purple for blue, and made the main background a bit lighter.

Now I'm going to do the same with the Roon light theme, except make the background a bit less bright. It hurts my eyes.

Roon blue-dark grey.jpg

2 hours ago, Pro Jules said:

Can these tweaks be easily shared? 

Yes. On windows it's just changing text in a file in the Roon program called "colors". I believe it's similar on a MAC. 

The link to the Roon community thread is above where it's discussed and explained - with examples.

This is also a post there explaining it.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/customizing-the-roon-theme/142548/63