IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Credits are my least favorite part of version 1.8. Look up Kind of Blue and try to find who the Remastering engineers are. Sure, there's a search, but it's not a pleasant experience, especially if you just want to look through the credits. On my Apple Pro XDR Display, it takes three pages to see all the credits. A text list would be so much better. 

I’ve found when listening to an artist,  you can pick from the display screen, the track credits icon (in the upper right corner) and you get the old fashion credit list.  

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

But I believe that’s only per track credits. 

Looks to be so.  Easier to view then the other version, for now.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I'm starting to feel like an old grumpy guy about version 1.8, but some things are just bugging me. For example, when is anything that's gray or grayed out the thing that's enabled or working? I'd say never. However, in the Roon Ready audio options, the gray items are the ones enabled and the white ones are disabled. Counterintuitive. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.23.34 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

At this point, I only have two points of feedback.

1. Just as others mentioned, I miss the easier to access album credits. 1.7 and earlier made this so simple.

2. I'm probably an edge case but I miss the check box tag interface.

I've created and have become overly reliant on an extensive list of tags which help me quickly find albums/versions. I tend to embrace change in software so I'll likely adapt quickly.

5 hours ago, ray-dude said:

I’m assuming dynamic range

It's weird on two counts at least....which is why I initially didn't think it was DR:

1)  they changed the symbol/character from earlier..not sure why

2) it shows up on less than 10% of my library

Oh well, a nit, but thanks for the DR vote, Ray.

Apparently Roon 1.8 thinks that everybody uses English as main language on his Ipad. I use Dutch. Now I can't see "settings". Roon  remote crashes. If I change the IOS language to English it is OK again. The problem is known on the Roon forum and Roon is "working at it".

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

For example, on the Rolling Stones artist page:

Under the overview tab, both the US and UK versions of Aftermath and Between the Buttons show up.

But under the discography tab, only the US versions appear. Why in the hell wouldn't every single album show up under the discography tab?

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Oh, I found that too, Settings > General > Browsing Preferences > Customize Album Display > and a window pops up, its in there.

Yes, that's my problem. I'd already done that. The badges don't appear in all the displays. Only in some.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Wow, I'm really unhappy so far. If I was a new subscriber I'd cancel right now.

2 big gripes:

1. I hate the new focus. From the main home page or the albums page it is subtractive. If I pick Focus>Genre Rock I get say 100 albums displayed. If I pick focus Soul  get say, 50. If I pick Rock + Soul I get zero. Not 150.

I understand they are doing an AND command. That's very useful in some cases. They need an OR  command so it is additive, not subtractive.

It's totally counter intuitive to open my collection and get that result. I shouldn't need to navigate through the program to find a place (in Genres) where I can sort of do that.

This is making choosing my listening list a chore and not a pleasure.

2. Search/Library: EXTREMELY slow for me. Did a search for "Abbey Road" and it took 70 seconds. Literally. Same thing when I open the program and have to wait for  all of the main page to appear. Edit: From what I read at the Roon forum, this may be due to severe overload on their servers b/c everyone is downloading and using the new program. So maybe it will clear up on it's own.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

57 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yes, that's my problem. I'd already done that. The badges don't appear in all the displays. Only in some.

For instance: did a search for "concerto for orchestra".  A group of albums appears with the badges. I click on "more" for the expanded listing: no badges in that view.

I got my dark theme back this morning, Although my metrics on this home page are a mess and incorrect.

1552727538_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.7e8dc36f2835661ff465e687729c6ef1.png

29 minutes ago, ssh said:

to each his own. I'd like to have the option to have it pick only a random 20 or 50 or 100 tracks. That's all I need at any one time, and thousands of tracks just means the actions of the program are slower.

I like the ability to use Roon on iPad in vertical mode. I like the vertical scrolling.

Home page has gotten too busy. It would be great if one could enable/disable/reposition the various sections. I too depend on the little icons on the album cover with resolution, and Qobuz vs library source.

I suspect it’s time to learn how to use the Focus function to work more for me. 

As for some of the other issues people have discussed here, perhaps they could have been testing, and working on those issues for the past week, instead of the teaser releases over the past week.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys