IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

47 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I keep getting this error as well. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 11.00.50 AM.png

I saw that error early last wknd sometime and was due, I think, to the mass upgrade phase when everyone was pulling on their servers - something like that.  I just checked and all seems to be pretty snappy on my end.  Although last eve I was experiencing slow artist loading.  Music playback seem unaffected, but loading of info was slow.  Not sure what causes that.

My rig

On 2/20/2021 at 7:03 AM, bobfa said:

Found this on the Roon Forum:  Theme “generator”

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/heres-a-semi-automatic-theme-generator-for-1-8/145210

I can add some color to my life.

(AT YOUR OWN RISK: Read the whole thread)

It's a nice tool. New version (mark III) is up:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sZhuI8jnDTDerRtvJ3BYNtey_LSwB4yMSj6yhzvFAuk/edit?usp=sharing

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Would appreciate any suggestions for a fix to my issue.  I upgraded to 1.8 and now Roon does not see my Synology NAS.  It worked before 1.8, but now, Roon doesn't see my NAS on the network.  I can see my NAS with everything else (e.g. Finder), but Roon looks like the below screenshot.  I cannot "readd" my NAS either.  I get an error of invalid path when I try to readd it, but I am typing the right path.  Very odd and extremely frustrating.  Tidal works fine.  Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 11.13.16 AM.png

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

39 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Would appreciate any suggestions for a fix to my issue.  I upgraded to 1.8 and now Roon does not see my Synology NAS.  It worked before 1.8, but now, Roon doesn't see my NAS on the network.  I can see my NAS with everything else (e.g. Finder), but Roon looks like the below screenshot.  I cannot "readd" my NAS either.  I get an error of invalid path when I try to readd it, but I am typing the right path.  Very odd and extremely frustrating.  Tidal works fine.  Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 11.13.16 AM.png

Sorry folks.  I tried to delete this post but couldn't. It is not a Roon error.  For some reason, my folder on my NAS is not available to mount.  I will try to figure it out, but it is some type user (me) error and not Roon.  I thought it was Roon because whatever happened to my folder happened at the same time I upgraded.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

8 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Sorry folks.  I tried to delete this post but couldn't. It is not a Roon error.  For some reason, my folder on my NAS is not available to mount.  I will try to figure it out, but it is some type user (me) error and not Roon.  I thought it was Roon because whatever happened to my folder happened at the same time I upgraded.

Sometimes you have to enter the domain after the NAS name. On many networks this is something like \\DS916.local\Music Folder Name

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks Chris.  I've tried everything.  Will try that.  The frustrating thing is I can add other folders from my NAS to Roon, just not the one that has my music!!!! Very frustrating because I changed nothing.  I am on a macOS.  Not sure if this is a Roon issue or NAS issue. Uggh!

- Mark

@MarkS

It’s a long short. Can you verify that you don’t have and spaces of special characters in that specific folder name ? (Maybe edit that space you have). 

You may create new folders as well for testing. 

Also I know from my Qnap, that you must check properties of your folders. 

In general my experience is that IP addresses works better than names. So that’s an test to do as well. 

31 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@MarkS

It’s a long short. Can you verify that you don’t have and spaces of special characters in that specific folder name ? (Maybe edit that space you have). 

You may create new folders as well for testing. 

Also I know from my Qnap, that you must check properties of your folders. 

In general my experience is that IP addresses works better than names. So that’s an test to do as well. 

Thanks for this suggestion.  

I really had tried everything to no avail.  I wasn't even able to delete the NAS folder containing the music and readd it.  Eventually, I was able to delete my music folder on my NAS using the iPad app versus the computer app (iPad app had an "x" beside the NAS folder whereas the Mac version of Roon did not even have an "x"), then I deleted the NAS drive folder and readded it.  

As a result, I needed to recreate my library, but that is not a disaster.  I only have about 1700 albums, and everything seems to be coming back ok with limited exceptions.  Once I was able to delete the NAS folder from within Roon, I was able to readd it in Roon storage.  I have no idea what went wrong suddenly, but fingers crossed things seem ok now and hopefully will not revert.

Thanks and all the best!

- Mark

I was experiencing all kinds of small annoyances with Roon 1.8, such as it seeing albums in my local library in one place, but not making it available in other places, such as my Library page, Similar sounding artists being credited to albums they had nothing to do with, etc...

Well, I did a clean installation of my Roon library, did NOT do a restore from backup, and all my woes are gone, for now anyway. I lost play counts and edits, but that's not a huge deal. The edits are few and the play counts are inconsequential.

No electron left behind.

28 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I was experiencing all kinds of small annoyances with Roon 1.8, such as it seeing albums in my local library in one place, but not making it available in other places, such as my Library page, Similar sounding artists being credited to albums they had nothing to do with, etc...

Well, I did a clean installation of my Roon library, did NOT do a restore from backup, and all my woes are gone, for now anyway. I lost play counts and edits, but that's not a huge deal. The edits are few and the play counts are inconsequential.

This is a major issue with Roon. Because nothing is stored in file tags, everything is lost. I have major “edits” and it really sucks to lose this info every time Roon needs a new db. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is a major issue with Roon. Because nothing is stored in file tags, everything is lost. I have major “edits” and it really sucks to lose this info every time Roon needs a new db. 

I agree, but I felt it was the only way to make sure I wasn't carrying any bugs forward, and at the moment, it seems to have worked.

No electron left behind.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Have you tried saving the db before an upgrade and restoring after the upgrade?

mQa is dead!

On 2/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Whenever possible, I prefer to store info in the file tags -- Roon does read them.

mQa is dead!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone experience problems inserting AIFF files in Roon 1.8 (Build 764) on Windows10?

After upgrading, I had problems presenting (or not showing) some existing albums in my local library.

Local library is a well maintained (since 2008) iTunes Library for all PCM music and a Flat Forder with all my DSD albums, located in a Synology DS218j NAS. Total Number of tracks is ~105.000 (~7.000 albums).

I decided to start from scratch, reinstalling Roon on my NUC7i7BNH. Roon crashed when reached the first Album in AIFF.

I tried a new "clean Instalation" in my W10, i9-9900K (HQPlayer Desktop Server) - same behaviour, Roon crashing after reaching exactly the same AIFF album.

After converting AIFF album in Apple Lossless, Roon passed that point to crash in the next AIFF album.

I have almost 800 AIFF tracks, and it is a big task to convert all and still maintain their existence in iTunes Lib.

Similar experience?

Any ideas/proposals?

7 hours ago, christos said:

Did anyone experience problems inserting AIFF files in Roon 1.8 (Build 764) on Windows10?

After upgrading, I had problems presenting (or not showing) some existing albums in my local library.

Local library is a well maintained (since 2008) iTunes Library for all PCM music and a Flat Forder with all my DSD albums, located in a Synology DS218j NAS. Total Number of tracks is ~105.000 (~7.000 albums).

I decided to start from scratch, reinstalling Roon on my NUC7i7BNH. Roon crashed when reached the first Album in AIFF.

I tried a new "clean Instalation" in my W10, i9-9900K (HQPlayer Desktop Server) - same behaviour, Roon crashing after reaching exactly the same AIFF album.

After converting AIFF album in Apple Lossless, Roon passed that point to crash in the next AIFF album.

I have almost 800 AIFF tracks, and it is a big task to convert all and still maintain their existence in iTunes Lib.

Similar experience?

Any ideas/proposals?

Have you tried removing just that album and trying again to see if Roon continues on to add the rest of the files?

No electron left behind.