IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

14 minutes ago, prinz said:

Nice to be back and I am glad that this pc audio path developed in such a positive way.

Totally agree...Prinz

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

1 hour ago, Topk said:

gets audio PC closer to an analogue, fluid, full and natural sound

This is my goal too....Topk

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

1 hour ago, Topk said:

I posted this. A few comments on what happened since:

- if you have a big budget and you can find inventory, the new AMD 5 series is likely even better than the 3 series 
- I’m now running my 3950x at a locked speed of 4ghz (technically, it is overclocked) and locked voltage at around 1.2V. 

- stock HDplex heatsink but Kryonaut thermal paste everywhere 

- 2.8A consumption on Keces P8 single rail

- CPU temperature is 48 degrees. Playing music right now (no upsampling)...

- I do recommend an acrylic lid with holes and/or the fans discussed above or other strategies to keep heat as low as possible

- I do recommend a LPS with strong amperage at the very least 8A and higher amperage is better (I can explain in more details why in PM if you want, happy to help)

901F1385-E982-4125-8499-387025D95FBE.jpeg

You’ve just reminded me above the acrylic lid! Should be here on Friday. I totally forgot about it until I seen your post. 👍

41 minutes ago, Topk said:

Same experience here. There’s a constant battle for me against a cold and sterile sound. Any component that brings any of this, I do not include in my chain. And I didn’t want to say that publicly yet... but let’s say for now that I also use Pink Faun and I find it musical. But that’s only one piece of the puzzle. Again, personal taste, system synergy etc. I have Harbeth speakers so that says already quite a lot about my type of sound.

I also listen on Harbeth although mine are tuned to sound slightly as studio monitor

On 4/15/2021 at 2:04 AM, Nenon said:

- A Chord DAVE DAC powered by DC4 using offline upsampled files with a program called PGGB. BTW, I can't stand the stock DAVE DAC.

Yay, @Zaphod Beeblebrox just announced that the embargo was lifted

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/reality-quest-power-and-digital-audio-with-the-sean-jacobs-dc4-and-sound-application-pgi-tt-7-part-2-of-2-r975/

On 1/21/2021 at 12:26 AM, ray-dude said:

For this review, all these tracks were off-line upsampled (using a custom software package currently in private beta) to 16fs (705/765kHz, 32 bit) to match the input pipeline of the Chord DAVE. The custom upsampling pipeline is optimized to maximize time domain accuracy in reconstruction, and minimize noise in the audio band. The result is an exquisite and natural holographic soundstage with remarkable timing accuracy, all of which is an excellent test of what a Chord DAVE is able to deliver at its best.

• Main site: www.remastero.com
• PGGB: www.remastero.com/pggb.html
• FAQ: www.remastero.com/faq.html
• Guide: www.remastero.com/guide.html
• Onboarding: www.remastero.com/onboarding.html

18 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

VERY excited this project is finally public.  Over 6+ months of helping tune these filters, the progress has been remarkable, and the results extraordinary.  We're really approaching some fundamental limits here on digital processing, and it has been humbling to hear what was always there in digital content, just waiting to be revealed.

Well done @Zaphod Beeblebrox!

(Disclaimer: although I'm delighted to have been helping on the project since basically day one, I have no financial interest in the project, I paid full price for my license, etc.)

Is this effectively another HQPlayer? What are the benefits? 

8 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

Are you OK to put it up against the OPTIMO 3 DUO? 

FWIW, when I wanted to do a review of the DC4, I approached Sean Jacobs and Sean was very supportive. Perhaps suggest to Jay that he do the same?

Nenon was kind enough to build the demo unit, based on Sean's request, but the DC4 is Sean's product.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 minute ago, Marcin_gps said:

Regardless of the outcome, I’m looking forward to the shoutout.

Me as well.  Very much looking forward to reading Jay's review of the Optimo 3 Duo, and definite icing on the cake to read how he thinks it compares to the DC4

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 hour ago, Marcin_gps said:

@Nenon Jay from audiobacon.net has finished his review of OPTIMO 3 DUO today with a comparison to Paul Hynes SR7 (I already know the outcome). I kindly asked him to postpone the publication and extend the review with a comparison to Sean Jacobs DC4 - you will hear from him soon regarding a review sample of the DC4. Are you OK to put it up against the OPTIMO 3 DUO? 

You can send one to me & I’ll compare to my SJ DC3? 👍 probably a fairer test. A DC4 can be 3x the price of a Optimo 3 Duo. I appreciate cost doesn’t come into it. 

9 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

You can send one to me & I’ll compare to my SJ DC3? 👍 probably a fairer test. A DC4 can be 3x the price of a Optimo 3 Duo. I appreciate cost doesn’t come into it. 

It's OK. I am aware of the price difference. I still want to pursue with the comparison to the DC4. (dual-rail) even though Jay warned me he will be brutally honest and that he will go over the good and the bad. There will a sound demo in the video review on YouTube with the different power supplies so the visitors can judge for themselves other than rely on the reviewer's taste alone.

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

12 hours ago, Topk said:

I posted this. A few comments on what happened since:

- if you have a big budget and you can find inventory, the new AMD 5 series is likely even better than the 3 series 
- I’m now running my 3950x at a locked speed of 4ghz (technically, it is overclocked) and locked voltage at around 1.2V. 

- stock HDplex heatsink but Kryonaut thermal paste everywhere 

- 2.8A consumption on Keces P8 single rail

- CPU temperature is 48 degrees. Playing music right now (no upsampling)...

- I do recommend an acrylic lid with holes and/or the fans discussed above or other strategies to keep heat as low as possible

- I do recommend a LPS with strong amperage at the very least 8A and higher amperage is better (I can explain in more details why in PM if you want, happy to help)

901F1385-E982-4125-8499-387025D95FBE.jpeg

Hi, I knew it wasn't Nenon that posted that info. I really did appreciate it though. I have a "sleeper" audio system because I have a relatively small home, 1000 sf, and I didn't want the system to dominate my space. I installed a bookshelf spanning a long wall with cabinets with glass fronts below it. The cabinets are 24"deep and house all my system components but the bookshelf above it has a false back that is covered with acoustic fabric. Behind that fabric are 3 bass tube traps which are hidden by the fabric.  Also behind the fabric is an insulated flexible duct that has an 80 cfm fan in the attic on one end. On the other end it connects to the top of the cabinets. There are cutouts in the toe kick of the cabinet that allows air to move through the cabinet with the fan on. The air moves from bottom to top.

It works really well to cool the components that are in there right now. The fan sound isn't any louder than air moving through air conditioning ducts. It's pretty quiet. I've made a cut out in the shelves in the cabinet to accommodate the location of the heat sink on all component and also the HDPlex chassis so it will essentially be doing what you are doing with external fans. It's a very clean looking setup. It took a while to get everything right and still look good and camouflage the odd bits.

I currently have a PH SR-7 with 12 and 19 volt rails to power the motherboard and CPU. I'm pretty sure it can handle the load. I haven't actually installed it yet but I expect it to sound excellent. I still think a voltage regulator is kind of a brute force method and don't like the energy inefficiency of that brute force method on a high load computer. If I could get something that is comparable in sound, preferably even better, that is also very efficient that would be great. I think most of us aren't that conscious of the high carbon footprint that our hobby has.

1 minute ago, Nenon said:

I have done a DC4 vs. OPTIMO 3 DUO (a well burned-in unit lended by a friend) comparison. There is no comparison, Marcin. The DC4 is better on every level. Completely different class devices. It takes 5 seconds to hear that. Completely different prices too - and that's what everyone would expect at this price point. I know a few people who own or owned both at some point in time. Their feedback was the same. 
Even the DC3 (the way it is built today, not the ancient unit Terry from Pursuit Perfect System has) is better than the OPTIMO 3 DUO IMO. Although, here someone (typically systems with small bookshelf speakers) may prefer the sound signature of the LT3045 regulators, which I personally don't like. That would indeed be a more fair comparison IMO. 

Absolutely! I am a hard core DIY guy and love these types of comparisons. This particular one is not useful to me as I've already done it, but other people would benefit from it. I've also compared the DC4 to a standard SR7 (and other people have posted about that too). What I have not managed to do is to compare the DC4 to the unobtainable Paul Hynes custom dual regulated SR7 XLR power supply (which is way better than the standard single regulated SR7). That's the only test I am personally interested in. 

But go ahead with the OPTIMO 3 DUO vs. DC4.  It would be great to arrange that. You guys need to contact Sean Jacobs directly for this.

OK!

Would you mind telling me who lend you the OPTIMO 3 DUO? City and first letter of the name will do if the person who lend you the unit prefers to stay anonymous. 

No offense, but you are biased and so am I - an independent comparison and live demo A/B would be nice. 

Cheers,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

@Marcin_gps I didn't test any power and I've read a lot of reviews for the DC4 and DR7. My reading concluded that they are the best in the market even SR7  not in the level of DR7, for DC3 many upgraded to DC4 all this reading before Nenon  share in public his comparisons Many comments from Romaz and austinpop and Fourlegs about this powers.