IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

9 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

400W truly linear PSU can not power 2 Xeons. Hence my assumption

So you are publicly claiming that the info Taiko Audio is providing on their HP is false?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Just now, matthias said:

So you are publicly claiming that the info Taiko Audio is providing on their HP is false?

Matt

Yes, this is my assumption, unless they prove otherwise. 

I am disclosing full specs and details of the OPTIMO ATX, so everyone can judge for himself. 

What I see on Taiko Website and in the pictures are only renowned capaciitors and transformers. What is underneath is not disclosed as far as I know. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

2 minutes ago, JayM said:

Here is a specification sheet of our GaN based DC DC-ATX. Hopefully this provides some more insight! :)

This is a new development, not implemented in the SGM Extreme music servers. This was originally designed to facilitate a cheaper server model, without compromising performance. As the demand for our music servers is keeping us rather busy, and so delaying the potential launch of a smaller server. As we will not get around to this anytime soon, we’ve decided to make this available for DIY projects. This design allows you to have a high-performance power supply which can be powered from an unregulated power supply as low as 100 USD costs in parts (transformer, rectifier, filter capacitance). Everyone should feel free to experiment with the unregulated DC-rail, its make-up will largely determine total system performance and sound. We are eagerly looking forward to your experiences!

TaikoAudio_500W ATX_DCDC converter specification sheet.jpg

TaikoAudio_500W ATX_DCDC Dimensions.jpg

@JayM

Thank you for posting the specification. 

Are you able to confirm whether the power supply in the Taiko SGM Extreme is truly linear ATX or a combination of a linear PSU and switching DC-ATX converter? 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

1 minute ago, Marcin_gps said:

The situation on the graph is the most extreme, in real life, and for a music server, if intensive DSP is disabled, the ripple will be in µV. For a truly linear ATX power supply this is a huge achievement. 

for me there is no graph showing...

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

OPTIMO ATX - active rectifier (unique feature specifically developed for the OPTIMO ATX)

For the OPTIMO ATX whopping current we designed unique active rectifier. It is using MOS FET transistors instead of diodes that are switched at zero points of AC waveform by special circuit. The MOS FET in this application has forward resistance below 1 mOhm (0.001 Ohm) – this outperforms diode resulting in much better dynamic response. JCAT designed analog control circuit with so called “floating ground” which means that there is no ground connection for rectifier at any point that otherwise might be path for introducing noise into DC circuit. This further ensures best noise performance as with GHz speed of MOS FETs there is practically no switching noise.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

If I click the links I shared I'm still getting file not found.

So...with the revelation of the Taiko ATX we may need to add a Corsair AX1600i to the mix as might be somewhat similar (to the naked eye)

On 1/11/2021 at 9:00 PM, Nenon said:

On the dual Xeon, I tested two 600VA transformers and some 300VA - 400VA ones. When it comes to audio I like to overbuild everything. It came as a big surprise to me that a smaller transformer sounded better. I found the sweet spot to be between 300VA and 400VA - a bit more than 300VA but less than 400VA. The transformer quality matters a lot as well, so in some cases I did not compare apples to apples. It actually took some extra work to make the big transformers sound good. Go figure...

Emile is trying to supply the transformer I liked. It would work really well on the dual Xeon build. 

Nenon,

did you find the perfect transformer wattage for the unregulated PS with the Taiko ATX?

Thanks

Matt

@Nenon 

Last 30 pages where overwhelmed by Taiko DC-ATX.  And AS being a public forum and place for discussion, I do not see anything inaproprate to inform users about the features of a new product such as OPTIMO ATX in this thread. 

I don't know how did you get the OPTIMO 3 DUO in your hands as you have not bought one and I have not shipped one to you for testing. I can't vouch for 2nd hand units. 

Regarding the power supply used in Taiko SGM Extreme and the lack of Taiko response, plus the fact that Taiko removed @matthias question in the official Taiko Extreme thread is enough for me to draw conclusions. 

I attach 2 screenshots from Taiko Extreme official thread for everyone to see.  1st screen shows @matthias question and Taiko reply. After a  while @matthias  question was removed from the Taiko Etreme official thread  which is proven by 2nd screenshot. 

Best regards,
Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

174250550_1125361027966302_5160838252401378252_n.thumb.png.0a6e089697539ecfe03ea19dabe5c45c.png

1690688056_taaiikoremoval.thumb.jpg.834dc58eaaed3df0baf9d1b4a72cc82a.jpg

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

@Nenon Are you drawing conclusions based on comparing off the shelve transformers or custom wound transformers?

No criticism, just trying to understand, I'm working with a transformer winder (if that is a name at all) who has a wealth of knowledge and seems capable of hitting the right spot when I tell him what the transformer is needed for. 

I don't have the picture but he wound me some (400H) chokes for my tube amp that likely will run using mercury filled rectifiers, he used paper between each layer, custom anti vibration frame etc etc. Bottom line is, he know how to make a transformer for a specific purpose.

1 hour ago, Marcin_gps said:

Regarding the power supply used in Taiko SGM Extreme and the lack of Taiko response, plus the fact that Taiko removed @matthias question in the official Taiko Extreme thread is enough for me to draw conclusions. 

I attach 2 screenshots from Taiko Extreme official thread for everyone to see.  1st screen shows @matthias question and Taiko reply. After a  while @matthias  question was removed from the Taiko Etreme official thread  which is proven by 2nd screenshot. 

I want to confirm that I myself removed this post and NOT Taiko Audio.

Taiko Audio was in no way involved in my decision to remove it.

@Marcin_gps please stop to spread false assumptions.

Matt