IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

3 hours ago, di-fi said:

But is anyone aware of LPS life expectancy? Hard to measure, but based on experience, how long should / will they last?

I also think LPS life expectancy is hard to measure, and based on my experience, going with a good reputable company should go a long way.  In addition to the better life expectancy from their LPS, these companies normally will offer either warranty to cover early failures or will provide support / service after the warranty period, and in the case of configuration changed in the setup, resell value typically is much better.  Companies like Custom HiFi Cable (Sean Jacob's DC3 / DC4), Uptone, Farad...etc., are the ones I recommend, and based on my single data point experience, I have been running their power supplies 24x7 and some were as early as 2015 without issue.

So LPS can die after 3-4 years or sometimes 6 years. 24x7 that is.

I am using Uptone (3 yrs)  and Farad (2 yrs)

Example of LPS components hard to source or hugely expensive according to my manufacturer (quote) : ''Particularly impossible has been the main FPGA used as well as the 10-per-board opto-isolators.  We usually pay xxx for the FPGA.  A spot-market source in (edit) just quoted us xxx each! 34x!  Impossible and insane.''

That's a huge problem for manufacturers, great warranty or not

14 minutes ago, di-fi said:

I am using Uptone (3 yrs)  and Farad (?)

Example of LPS components hard to source or hugely expensive according to my manufacturer (quote) : ''Particularly impossible has been the main FPGA used as well as the 10-per-board opto-isolators.  We usually pay xxx for the FPGA.  A spot-market source in (edit) just quoted us xxx each! 34x!  Impossible and insane.''

Oh FPGA processors…. Yes i agree this thing is quite fragile…

but i dont see the real need to incorporate one into a pure audiophile lps….except for some fancy features like thermal monitoring, user selectable voltage settings… these features and the FPGA create interference and noise to the psu output… 

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

17 minutes ago, di-fi said:

I am using Uptone (3 yrs)  and Farad (?)

Based on my use experience, I would estimate DC3/4, JS-2 types of LPS that uses quality components could last at least 10 years.

Not sure why a quality LPS will need FPGA or opto-isolators, since none of the LPS's I use contain any of these components, but on the other hand, global raw material market is getting harder by the day to source components, so the price for LPS are expected to go up or already gone up, just matter of time.

15 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

Oh FPGA processors…. Yes i agree this thing is quite fragile…

but i dont see the real need to incorporate one into a pure audiophile lps….except for some fancy features like thermal monitoring, user selectable voltage settings… these features and the FPGA create interference and noise to the psu output… 

I am talking about LPS that are available on the market today (and the list is very long) not so much the concept behind. Although understanding what is inside might help to select an LPS with more durable components. Thats the advice I am looking for.

I think 3-4 years is not good enough for a 450$-650$ LPS. Or the other way round, if those last only 3-4 years I might go sooner with Sean Jacobs for example ;-). Where is the break-even point? For example if I paid 150-200$ a year that equals  a 1000$ LPS (if it lastst 10 years) I probably get better sound also .  

So replacing both my broken LPS I will definitely need to evaluate duarbility of components.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone suffered from this issue before ?

I turned on my server (ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO Z590 with an Intel i7-10700K) a few days back and suddenly a message appeared: "USB Device Over Current Status Detected": So I swapped the JCAT XE USB card which caused the alert and put a Startech PCIE USB card instead without an issue, I also checked all the PCIE slots with the Startech and worked without an issue.

I then downgraded the BIOS to see if maybe the problem could have been that way cause a few weeks back I upgraded the BIOS to the last firmware and all was the same.

After all this checking and honestly with my limited knowledge on this, I keep wondering if something else could be making this issue or is it for sure that the USB PCIE card is the one that got damaged ?

Should i look into someting else perhaps ?

Thanks !

41 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Hi Guys,

Has anyone suffered from this issue before ?

I turned on my server (ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO Z590 with an Intel i7-10700K) a few days back and suddenly a message appeared: "USB Device Over Current Status Detected": So I swapped the JCAT XE USB card which caused the alert and put a Startech PCIE USB card instead without an issue, I also checked all the PCIE slots with the Startech and worked without an issue.

I then downgraded the BIOS to see if maybe the problem could have been that way cause a few weeks back I upgraded the BIOS to the last firmware and all was the same.

After all this checking and honestly with my limited knowledge on this, I keep wondering if something else could be making this issue or is it for sure that the USB PCIE card is the one that got damaged ?

Should i look into someting else perhaps ?

Thanks !

I have not seen that error message before, but few checks below hopefully could help narrow down the issue.

1. Did the XE card have external power?
  2. Have you tried XE card in all other PCIe slots with same message now?
  3. Did you try removing USB cable(s) when XE card show error message?
  4. Have you try different USB cable?
1 minute ago, elan120 said:

I have not seen that error message before, but few checks below hopefully could help narrow down the issue.

1. Did the XE card have external power? YES
  2. Have you tried XE card in all other PCIe slots with same message now? YES
  3. Did you try removing USB cable(s) when XE card show error message? YES
  4. Have you try different USB cable? YES

The XE card when inserted on any PCIE slot, even without being connected to the PS launches the alert

22 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

I thought about it and that will be my next step, even though so far it seems the card itself

This would be the final test I can think of, and if the problem follow to the other PC, it will be time to contact Marcin for this issue, and hopefully your XE card is still under warranty.

8 hours ago, Rovo said:

I can agree with elan120, I also have this combo in use for several months without issue

8 hours ago, RDOK said:

I do, great sound and no issues at all

1 hour ago, genvirt said:

I’ve this set and plus Jcat Net Xe with Sablon net cable too - fantastic results - no issues....

Thanks so much Guys !!

Are you using the regular or unpowered version ?

53 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I am using regular (powered) version.

Same here…. Using the regular Sablon USB cable with Jcat xe usb card without any issue.

It is highly recommended!

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1