IGNORED

Mains Power Cord Recommendations For Zenith SE and/or Satement.

When you set out to buy a hi-fi you’ll be aware that there is a huge variety of hardware that you can chose from that comes in all price categories and offers sound quality from the very mediocre to the incredibly excellent. This is true for loudspeakers, amplifiers, turntables, CD players, servers,  streamers, DACs, pre-amplifiers, phono-amplifiers and of course all the interconnecting cables. So when you’ve bought all the goodies for your new system, you should also chose cables and power cables appropriate for your system.....no point in either buying great gear then interconnecting it poorly, conversely there’s not point in being economical with your purchases then over-investing in cables to try and win additional sound quality.  When it comes to the Zenith SE there’s no doubt that you can elevate its performance with ‘better’ power cords....although I’m not sure what ‘better’ means in terms of technical features and specs; I only know that it means “sounds substantially  better”.  I took an aftermarket cable from Synergistic Research, played some specific music and noted specific improvements.....what and when.... then replace said cable with the OEM cable . If the improvements are still present then there’s no improvement and my judgement was influenced by confirmation bias. If the improvements are not present, then I’m hearing genuine SQ benefits from the new cable.  Now I may also find in this comparison that I have a strong preference for the sound of the new cable, which may still be confirmation bias, but frankly if I like something a lot better, why would I worry which particular mental process generates the liking as long as I can identify specific easily discerned differences which I prefer?

Do I need measurements?  Not unless they increase my listening pleasure, which they won’t but I would say that measurements....the right measurements.....would be useful in understanding why I preferred a particular cable over another for which I currently have no technical explanation. However making measurements that show no difference and concluding from that there’s therefore no aural difference would just be silly. All it means if measurements don’t reveal the reason for aural differences is that I’m not measuring the thing that causes the aural change.  If one measurement fails to support another all it means is that there’s no correlation or interaction between those 2 measures, given that one is physical and the other sensory. The problem with cables is that there are lots of variables and the impact of those variables differs according to the system the cable is installed in. Therefore in hi-fi we use specs to short list then chose cables by how they sound rather than how they measure. 

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

Experience helps us to improve our discernment capabilities.  The more one experiments with cameras, lenses, shutter speed, etc, the better one becomes at seeing how much these things matter.  The same is true about audio - as we grow we get better at being able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

But what about those who have made the choice to not gain any insight by trusting their ears?  Their lack of experience hasn’t equipped them with an understanding of how discerning us humans can be about such things.   Because they refuse to try to sort out these differences themselves they foolishly think that the rest of us are as inept as they choose to be - so they end up saying foolish things. 

It isn't your ears, it is your perception that confirmation bias interferes with.  That is why you need to be careful when deciding to buy something like an AC power cord.

Or just buy a big phat one - I see some on audio advisor now for $1,500.

I'd rather get the Vincent tube pre + DAC, new pentode design or not.

I buy everything with confidence.  If you read enough reviews, you're sure to find a positive one.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Fascinating stuff Kenny. The part I never understand about how these posts go is the nastiness that soon emerges when the logic becomes unarguable. Do people really feel that passionate about ‘saving others’ from theIr own hi-fis or is there something else afoot? I think your post is very insightful in that regard. 

I have no problem whatsoever in people disagreeing with whatever I post and I’m always willing to enter a debate. Its how I learn things. What I’m not fond of at all are the attempts to drag one into acrimonious arguments, although I do understand how that works from a psychological standpoint. 

Now back on topic I would like to add that power cables are one way to get more out of a Zenith SE or Statement. Optimising the upstream network is another and may be the more cost effective in terms of the $$$ spent and the SQ improvements realised.  Also quite surprising is the type of and number of improvements that bring rewards.......better ethernet cables, linear power supplies for network components, better DC cables,  isolation, vibration control. What all these upstream improvements do is to make the whole soundstage more 3 dimensional, immersing and cohesive. There really is a remarkable amount of detail in these files and so far I haven’t reached a point where the improvements stop, so it seems that the upstream side is wide open for improvement.  Just to note that the soundstage, 3 dimensionality and cohesiveness are all created in the brain based on the quality of the 2 loudspeaker signals......the cleaner and more pristine the signals, the better the brain can construct the 3 dimensional picture...so I assume that removing noise and jitter allows the system to create a more pure and pristine version of the signal. 

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

Now back on topic I would like to add that power cables are one way to get more out of a Zenith SE or Statement. Optimising the upstream network is another and may be the more cost effective in terms of the $$$ spent and the SQ improvements realised.  Also quite surprising is the type of and number of improvements that bring rewards.......better ethernet cables, linear power supplies for network components, better DC cables,  isolation, vibration control. What all these upstream improvements do is to make the whole soundstage more 3 dimensional, immersing and cohesive. There really is a remarkable amount of detail in these files and so far I haven’t reached a point where the improvements stop, so it seems that the upstream side is wide open for improvement.  Just to note that the soundstage, 3 dimensionality and cohesiveness are all created in the brain based on the quality of the 2 loudspeaker signals......the cleaner and more pristine the signals, the better the brain can construct the 3 dimensional picture...so I assume that removing noise and jitter allows the system to create a more pure and pristine version of the signal. 

Very well said.  

In terms of your comment about "the cleaner and more pristine the signals", I think you might find this an interesting read, particularly what they have to say about "sound masking":

https://www.acousticsciences.com/media/articles/how-tubetraps-opened-whole-new-realm-precision-performance-audio-playback-systems

Quite profound to hear what these can do to make the sound clearer and more pristine.  I think I might even prioritize these (or something like them) ahead of a better power cord for the Zenith - and ahead of making the move from SE to Statement.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

Fascinating stuff Kenny. The part I never understand about how these posts go is the nastiness that soon emerges when the logic becomes unarguable. Do people really feel that passionate about ‘saving others’ from theIr own hi-fis or is there something else afoot? I think your post is very insightful in that regard. 

I have no problem whatsoever in people disagreeing with whatever I post and I’m always willing to enter a debate. Its how I learn things. What I’m not fond of at all are the attempts to drag one into acrimonious arguments, although I do understand how that works from a psychological standpoint. 

See #2:  https://blogs.psychcentral.com/psychology-self/2018/08/narcissist-arguing/.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

46 minutes ago, mansr said:

Can we make it a rule that anyone who opens a thread with a question must identify which answer is acceptable? That way we can all avoid wasting time giving unwanted answers.

You would love that . You have tried almost everything else to silence those who disagree with you, even down to demanding they be banned from the forum.

Besides which, the OP already has the ability to ask Chris for Moderator powers, which at least one from your side uses extensively.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Can we make it a rule that anyone who opens a thread with a question must identify which answer is acceptable? That way we can all avoid wasting time giving unwanted answers.

Come on now Mans, it was pretty clear that the OP wanted suggestions based on observations. If you observed no difference on that device, just say so. This notion that there is no science to back this up isn't applicable in this thread.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

Very well said.  

In terms of your comment about "the cleaner and more pristine the signals", I think you might find this an interesting read, particularly what they have to say about "sound masking":

https://www.acousticsciences.com/media/articles/how-tubetraps-opened-whole-new-realm-precision-performance-audio-playback-systems

Quite profound to hear what these can do to make the sound clearer and more pristine.  I think I might even prioritize these (or something like them) ahead of a better power cord for the Zenith - and ahead of making the move from SE to Statement.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for that....very interesting. Funnily enough I owned a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s and loved the damned things....they made music sound real, especially impressive back then. I also built 8 bass traps using a very interesting recipe that allowed you to tune how much bass was absorbed or reflected, simply by turning the trap and exposing more or less of a reflective panel that covered the absorption layer for half of the circumference. They worked extremely well.  When I left Germany I had no further use for them so I gave them away. Some guy came and took 4. The next day he called back practically begging for the other 4. 

These days I have no bass traps but I may put 2 or 4 into my room corners at some stage.  What I do use are Devialet Expert 440 Pro CI monoblocks which includes SAM (Speaker Active Matching) which corrects bass timing down to 0Hz. Turns out this is extremely important also for frequencies above where SAM rolls off (ca. 150) . The results are quite spectacular

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/speaker-active-matching-sam-technology-in-the-devialet-expert-220-pro-integrated-amplifier/