IGNORED

Mains Power Cord Recommendations For Zenith SE and/or Satement.

1 hour ago, Yorkshireman said:

I'm currently looking for a new Mains power lead/cord and would be grateful if forum members could give there recommendations from there own experiences.

I currently have a Zenith SE but might upgrade to a statement in the future and so would be grateful for recommendations for either or both options.

Any mains cord that is similar to those supplied with more powerful desktop computers should be suitable, as it is already using a Medical-grade Mains Filter. You may even have a suitable one laying around ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, Yorkshireman said:

I'm currently looking for a new Mains power lead/cord and would be grateful if forum members could give there recommendations from there own experiences.

I currently have a Zenith SE but might upgrade to a statement in the future and so would be grateful for recommendations for either or both options.

I’m guessing that those telling you the power cord for your Zenith doesn’t matter would likely tell you that the better power supply in your SE doesn’t matter either. 

I have a Zenith Mk2 Std and am using a Shunyata Alpha HC cord with it.  Shunyata has been on quite a roll lately - particularly when it comes to bang for the buck.  I think you’ll find good synergy with their NR (noise reduction) cords and the Innuos servers as both have similar aims:  reduce noise and bring more weight, fullness and naturalness the music.  The Shunyata cords are very neutral though so look elsewhere if you are looking for a cord to warm up the sound.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

16 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I’m guessing that those telling you the power cord for your Zenith doesn’t matter would likely tell you that the better power supply in your SE doesn’t matter either. 

Well you would be very wrong in some cases . Most components of this calibre are normally designed to take into account mains cable vagaries etc. in their design. In this case they also have a Medical Grade filter which should help to take care of any RF/EMI coming in (and radiating out) via the mains cable.

However, there is nothing stopping you from trying an  expensive shielded mains cable of the same current capabilities (or higher) than the cable supplied by the manufacturer who designed it.

You could also try fitting a couple of ferrite clamps on the existing mains cable

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/break-smartphone-addiction/

If you only interact with people online, you bully, you send out all sorts of bad vibes and never really get the feedback. You never learn to empathize. You never learn what it feels like to hurt someone. You end up having this blunted sense of how to interact with people, and that’s pretty damaging across lots of spheres.

spacer.png

This is what we get on the Internet these days when everyone could hide behind a keyboard, there will be no consequences whatsoever even if we're revealing our true colors

https://audiobacon.net/2019/11/02/the-jcat-signature-lan-a-1000-ethernet-cable/

Bob "Snake" Plissken on November 3, 2019 at 7:09 am

What kind of fucking moron do you have to be to fall for this scam? Are you really that retarded or did you invest in their stock perhaps and you’re now pushing this nonsense around?

Ironically JCAT didn't seem to be listed on NYSE or anywhere else, go figure.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/388/?tab=comments#comment-879660  

On 9/26/2018 at 12:34 AM, austinpop said:
  • Zenith SE: Note that I am already using an older Cardas Golden Cross power cable ($460 MSRP, bought on 50% sale) that I found to have made a big improvement over the stock cable back when the SE first arrived. So the swap was Golden Cross to Clear. Oh my word! Another dramatic improvement. This one I did not expect, as I was going from a good to a better cable.

Seeteeyou

I have also heard a small improvement along with other listeners when  using a very expensive mains cable with big Nelson Pass Class A monoblocks, but for most people it's very hard to justify spending something like US$460 ( Or more) on a mains cable.  This area should be used more for the " icing on the cake" for those who can afford it, as there is normally a way bigger " bang for buck" with room treatment , speaker positioning etc.

Regards

Alex

P.S.

WRT your previous post, YIKES ! 

yikes
/jʌɪks/
exclamation
informal
exclamation: yikes
  1. expressing shock and alarm, often for humorous effect.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Increasingly, it looks like the real goal when posting is increase enjoyment of confirmation bias

To edit your post to make it pertinent and avoid clashes....

"Increasingly, it looks like the real goal when posting is increase enjoyment of music playback"

Oh and this:

"This consumer protection / saving people from themselves is very misguided. It just doesn’t work and causes more problems than it solves. It’s also presumptuous that those reading want to be saved and that the comments can save them.  
Live and let live. Nobody is claiming HiFi gear will cause autism. "

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

13 minutes ago, One and a half said:

To edit your post to make it pertinent and avoid clashes....

"Increasingly, it looks like the real goal when posting is increase enjoyment of music playback"

Gary

What we need is to take more note of #8 to avoid further thread disruption where the OP is clearly not interested in what the usual naysayers have to say.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

Seeteeyou

I have also heard a small improvement along with other listeners when  using a very expensive mains cable with big Nelson Pass Class A monoblocks, but for most people it's very hard to justify spending something like US$460 ( Or more) on a mains cable.  This area should be used more for the " icing on the cake" for those who can afford it, as there is normally a way bigger " bang for buck" with room treatment , speaker positioning etc.

Regards

Alex

P.S.

WRT your previous post, YIKES ! 

yikes
/jʌɪks/
exclamation
informal
exclamation: yikes
  1. expressing shock and alarm, often for humorous effect.

It's almost as if the mains cable optimisation depends on the type of load.

For example to stop RF crud from say an SMPS load, use a shielded mains cable.

For a linear power supply, which draws current in lumps, the cable should be increased in conductor size to suit. 

If the load is a source, the power draw is not so significant, so a smaller than AWG12 is plenty. To cater for both circumstances, recently have used a DIY approach mainly for 3m+ cable in the form of this cable from McMaster Carr. This is a shielded only 18 AWG PTFE, Silver Plated Copper capable of 4.5A, 600V at 148C, more than current enough for sources, 120V or 230V. 

7 minutes ago, One and a half said:

It's almost as if the mains cable optimisation depends on the type of load.

For example to stop RF crud from say an SMPS load, use a shielded mains cable.

For a linear power supply, which draws current in lumps, the cable should be increased in conductor size to suit. 

If the load is a source, the power draw is not so significant, so a smaller than AWG12 is plenty. To cater for both circumstances, recently have used a DIY approach mainly for 3m+ cable in the from of this cable from McMaster Carr. This is a shielded only 18 AWG PTFE, Silver Plated Copper capable of 4.5A, 600V at 148C, more than current enough for sources, 120V or 230V. 

I agree.

It could be interesting to try it with a 3 pin plug at mains end and a 2 pin plug as usual at the SMPS device end

34 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I agree.

It could be interesting to try it with a 3 pin plug at mains end and a 2 pin plug as usual at the SMPS device end

This would contain crud and avoid a ground loop, or more importantly retain the double insulation properties of the SMPS, unless it has that rotten X cap fitted. For balanced AC, I've found that grounding both ends of the shield benefits, in that case, a strict star pattern for the mains cables is essential.

Yes everyone experiences confirmation bias. The thing is that if you listen at two for you totally unknown amps for examples. You will have very low bias towards any of them because you have no history with any of the company, don’t know its design principle, how it measure, what other people impression is, and you haven’t put in money or investment or have any other expectation on any of them. If OTOH we have two amps which we know a lot about. We will also have much more bias.

Some example bias:

• A person that for example believe that good measurements, equals good sound, will have a strong bias toward the amp that have better measurements.
  • Another person may have read many reviews that says that one of the amps is the best they have ever heard and that the other amp is only ok sounding for its price. This person can have a strong bias toward the top reviewed amp.
  • A third person believe that the price is a good indicator of the sound quality, at least if the difference in price is big. This person has naturally a strong bias toward the more expansive amp.  
  • A fourth person look at the design and see that one is a tube amp and as his prior experience is that tube amps doesn’t sound accurate, this person has a strong bias against the tube amp.

We can of course have many different bias at the same time and the total confirmation bias is a kind of a summary of all of them. Not everyone let their bias inflict their final judgment from a listening test between two amps. We all have some experiences confirmation bias before the listening session, but not all are holding on to their bias equal much. To be as objective as possible and to see and hear everything with an open mind, is truly great quality that can differ widely between people.  

Let me give you one common example there I can interpret the SQ differently because of confirmation bias. The sound between two DACs differ so that one has a sharper more defined treble with more air and the other DAC have smoother more relaxed sound. The reason:

• It can be because the sharper sounding DAC adds EMI/HF noise for example.
  • It can also be because the smoother sounding DAC aren’t accurate, is colored and role of in the treble.

To hear the difference is easy, to hear which is correct can be trickier and often takes some time, a well-known audio system and a lot of experience.

16 hours ago, Yorkshireman said:

Search which power cables other that have chosen the same gear as you, Zenith SE and Statement, and see if you can borrow one from a dealer near you to try at home.  

Post the rest of gear & what you are trying to get rid of for more specific help.  Do you have a dedicated line?

I had my AC power checked for noise by the electric utility and there is a thread I started on here.  I am in an R-1 (single family houses) in the PNW US, and don't know what the power situation is in Yorkshire(?).

I'll say again that if an AC power cord on any decent, much less Linn level unit, is a cause of noise something is way wrong.

I saw some cables in the Audio Advisor catalog last night for > $1,000 - yet a Topaz isolation transformer (which really does work) can be had for only ~~ $600.  Balanced power supply units will cost more.

The plug mods above cost nothing or nearly so, and turning off certain LED lights, 'chopper' type light dimmers, and FL lights is free.

AC power cord swaps are not very worthwhile, and neither are different interconnects, tho using balanced connections is.