IGNORED

Lee Scoggins Now President and EVP at NextScreen

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

It wasn’t cheap in the 80’s and came out quarterly, thick as a paperback and worth reading cover to cover with minimal advertisements. Believe the shift came when HP sold controlling interest in the mid 90’s

TAS briefly went out of business until Tom Martin rescued it in the nineties.

As I’ve said many times America would be a better place if Harry Pearson had stayed an environmental journalist.

2 hours ago, ARQuint said:

This thread has had some insightful observations

and some that are more poorly informed, inconsistent, and naive.

Lee Scoggins is leaving TAS because he fulfilled the task that Tom Martin hired him to do: facilitating the modernization and diversification of the magazine. The press release summarizes what was accomplished during Lee's tenure, which includes the burgeoning You Tube channel and an increasing differentiation between the focus of the two audio magazines that Nextscreen owns, TAS and HiFi+. Harry Pearson made life-sustaining changes in his time, when he started accepting advertising and, years later, when he sold the magazine to TM. Now we are witnessing the latest steps to keep TAS relevant but still true to its founding ideals. The platform(s) are now in place. As Tom Martin says in his statement, the charge for the next stage is continuing to present quality content in a way that will assure the magazine's viability for another 50 years. Yes, the 50th Anniversary issue comes out this summer.

What I find puzzling—maybe even a bit amusing—is that some Audiophile Style forum participants—who are presumably fond of AS—fail to see that it operates on pretty much the same principles as TAS and Stereophile. With both TAS and AS, a manufacturer loans a product for a variable length of time after which the reviewer returns it.  TAS reviews a lot of expensive gear; Chris's rig is not exactly a budget system. TAS maintains close relationships with manufacturers as does @The Computer Audiophile. (Chris and I have both had Peter McGrath visit our listening rooms and count him as a friend.) TAS reviewers get accommodation pricing for products they wish to keep; so does Chris. TAS accepts advertising; AS accepts advertising.

Some have expressed the belief that TAS's reviews are so universally positive as to qualify as puff pieces, as ad copy. First of all, read our reviews more carefully and you'll find plenty of mentions of a product's limitations. That said, the whole idea is to choose products that deserve positive reviews. Robert Harley's editorial in the new issue about how equipment is selected for review says exactly that: "The selection criteria start with whether we have reason to believe the product will be outstanding." We are certainly not alone in this approach. Have a look at @The Computer Audiophile's last ten reviews. I'd say the enthusiasm level ranges from very positive to flat-out raves. Is this "grade inflation?" I don't think so—there are just a lot of superb products to write about, and those are the ones that consumers need to hear about.

Andy Quint

Pot, meet kettle.......

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

...and all those keystrokes comparing your employer to Audiophile Style (wow!) but not one about the MQA debacle and yours and Scoggins' role in it?  You've got some huevos, dude.

This thread has nothing to do with MQA! Unless, in your mind, anything involving TAS, Lee Scoggins, or me automatically connects to MQA. Just a bit reductionist, hombre.

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

...and all those keystrokes comparing your employer to Audiophile Style (wow!) but not one about the MQA debacle and yours and Scoggins' role in it?  You've got some huevos, dude.

It feels like you've just revealed the underlying unspoken issue on half of this thread.  This is a sad aspect of AS--when a person writes favorably of MQA they are flamed by a large number of people, even when that flaming is completely off topic.  The last one of these was on Michael Fremer.  That one was especially ironic since MF has virtually nothing to do with digital music. 

Just to be clear, I do not write because I like MQA.  It's just that the incessant repetitive bashing that bugs me

This thread has nothing to do with MQA! Unless, in your mind, anything involving TAS, Lee Scoggins, or me automatically connects to MQA.

True to an extent, however it isn't entirely off base to note Lee's unending support of MQA, here and elsewhere. If the recent news of MQA failing to secure additional funding ends up being accurate, it will be another derogatory mark on LS's record as a supposed futurist possessing superior vision and strategy making skills.

LS stated for the record on various occasions that it was normal for startups like MQA to lose money at first, and that an ecosystem was being formed, and that there was more to MQA than meets the eye, various other blah blah blah forward looking statements suggesting he had inside information about what the record labels would be doing etc... so it will be poetic justice for the likes of LS if in fact MQA's ultimate demise is now at hand.

Couple that with LS's now infamous piece predicting that crowdfunding and crowd design was the future of hi-fi manufacturing, with manufacturer direct internet sales constituting the "death of a sales model" (now conveniently scrubbed from the internet with the demise of The High Fidelity Report) as a knee-jerk press reaction to what ended up being a total fraud campaign committed by LH Labs on the Indiegogo platform, and Lee Scoggins not being around for this "implementation" stage of TAS' digital transformation is hardly a shocker. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did at Nextscreen given the track record involved, I think his three previous gigs at Accenture, McKinsey, and KPMG were even shorter if memory serves.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

16 hours ago, ARQuint said:

This thread has nothing to do with MQA! Unless, in your mind, anything involving TAS, Lee Scoggins, or me automatically connects to MQA. Just a bit reductionist, hombre.

Your and Scoggins' relentless MQA sycophancy is the point.  Maybe you and Scoggins do other things, I wouldn't know.  But your (and Scoggins') MQA cheer-leading is well documented in this forum.  You know, the forum that you compare to your employer in a lame attempt to exonerate your MQA advocacy?

56 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Your and Scoggins' relentless MQA sycophancy is the point.  Maybe you and Scoggins do other things, I wouldn't know.  But your (and Scoggins') MQA cheer-leading is well documented in this forum.  You know, the forum that you compare to your employer in a lame attempt to exonerate your MQA advocacy?

This is the very definition of "The Big Lie" - a relentless gross distortion of the truth. I have never advocated for MQA as a technology - not for its technical rationale and certainly not for its sonic merits. (In fact, within the last few months, I wrote on this website about my listening experiences with Patricia Barber's Clique!, concluding that the MQA version came up short.) What I have advocated for consistently, beginning with a 2017 editorial in TAS, is a civil and evidence-based dialogue about MQA. Thanks to the efforts of Archimago and others, that sort of dialogue has been possible and people have been able to draw their own informed conclusions. I know I have.

Samuel Cogley insists that advocacy for MQA has been continuous in The Absolute Sound. He also implies that he doesn't read the magazine or my reviews, so I'm mystified as to how he knows this. He doesn't. TAS has had very little to say about MQA for years and most issues go by without any mention at all. I review mostly loudspeakers but, with electronic components I have commented once, maybe twice, whether or not a manufacturer had licensed MQA for a new product. But "relentless MQA sycophancy? That's ridiculous.

It comes across pretty clearly that Samuel is an individual consumed with contempt for TAS, Lee Scoggins, and probably me. I really don't understand why—there probably is no "why," other than a  dark, bitter, and profoundly ungenerous worldview. But anytime TAS, Scoggins, or yours truly comes up in the context of MQA (sometimes even without an MQA context, as with this thread) he lets fly with the bile. I assume he gets quite a rush from the act—but, I'm happy to say, this is not the kind of satisfaction most contributors to the AS forums are looking for.

Andy Quint

13 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

This is the very definition of "The Big Lie" - a relentless gross distortion of the truth. I have never advocated for MQA

AQ: it's pretty offensive to a Jewish person who feels strongly that we shouldn't forget that Hitler's strategy of the 1920s paved the way for genocide in the 1940s. If Mr. Cogley wasn't aware of the history of The Big Lie, well, now he is. If he was, and actually believes that the head of my magazine's publishing group was behind my objection to the use of the term to refer to the promotion of a sort of audio technology Cogley doesn't like….he's an awful excuse for a human being.

This is the very definition of "The Big Lie" - a relentless gross distortion of the truth. I have never advocated for MQA as a technology - not for its technical rationale and certainly not for its sonic merits. (In fact, within the last few months, I wrote on this website about my listening experiences with Patricia Barber's Clique!, concluding that the MQA version came up short.) What I have advocated for consistently, beginning with a 2017 editorial in TAS, is a civil and evidence-based dialogue about MQA. Thanks to the efforts of Archimago and others, that sort of dialogue has been possible and people have been able to draw their own informed conclusions. I know I have.

Samuel Cogley insists that advocacy for MQA has been continuous in The Absolute Sound. He also implies that he doesn't read the magazine or my reviews, so I'm mystified as to how he knows this. He doesn't. TAS has had very little to say about MQA for years and most issues go by without any mention at all. I review mostly loudspeakers but, with electronic components I have commented once, maybe twice, whether or not a manufacturer had licensed MQA for a new product. But "relentless MQA sycophancy? That's ridiculous.

It comes across pretty clearly that Samuel is an individual consumed with contempt for TAS, Lee Scoggins, and probably me. I really don't understand why—there probably is no "why," other than a  dark, bitter, and profoundly ungenerous worldview. But anytime TAS, Scoggins, or yours truly comes up in the context of MQA (sometimes even without an MQA context, as with this thread) he lets fly with the bile. I assume he gets quite a rush from the act—but, I'm happy to say, this is not the kind of satisfaction most contributors to the AS forums are looking for.

Andy Quint

Your posts here are showing your true self.

It may not be obvious to you, but it is clearly obvious to every one else.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

4 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Your posts here are showing your true self.

It may not be obvious to you, but it is clearly obvious to every one else.

To people who seek fact, not 'snake-oil'.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

19 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Andy doesn’t need me to defend him, but I do know him personally and have discussed MQA with him at a few of our audio group events, always cordially. I have never known him to be a shill for MQA unlike some writers who shall remain nameless. Andy is a good guy. Cut him some slack fellas. This is a bit over the top at this point.

I find Andy a gentleman. I have explained that to him personally. Also I explained why I found his MQA-hinged reference today to the very definition of "The Big Lie" to be anomalous against what he was at pains to express in 2021. I also explained that, whilst I don't have a strong opinion about the industry press nor people in it, I loathe MQA with all my heart, and can't wait to see it fail.

Not that I am any kind of AS host, but I welcome Andy's intelligent, brave and sincere participation here.

Are we getting anywhere near a civilized discourse?

2 hours ago, Jud said:

I used to try to do that - read for subtle variations of tone in the review of one product versus another, "read between the lines" to try to think about things that were not mentioned that one might have expected, etc. - but eventually I came to feel that, dang, this is just too much effort to be putting out to read something that isn't a tech guide, it's just another person's impression I'm reading presumably for the purposes of enjoyment and pertinent information. When I read a music review, I don't want to have to work really hard to decide whether the critic liked one recording better than another, and non-technical reviews of audio equipment ought IMO to be open to similar ease of understanding. I didn't feel the reviews in TAS and Stereophile quite met that criterion, so I stopped reading; your opinion of course may vary. 🙂

Although I still read many TAS and Stereophile reviews--this is a great point about having to work too hard.  Even if a huge number of products are great, virtually all of these great products have weaknesses compared to other great products, and the typical reader is only buying one of each every few years.  So we really need to know what we're losing as well as gaining when we choose a certain product. TAS and Stereophile sometime seem to work hard to avoid unfavorable comparisons.  A much better model is @austinpop's treatment of apex headphones on AS where he gives plenty of well-deserved respect to each but also makes clear the weaknesses of each

21 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Couple that with LS's now infamous piece predicting that crowdfunding and crowd design was the future of hi-fi manufacturing, with manufacturer direct internet sales constituting the "death of a sales model" (now conveniently scrubbed from the internet with the demise of The High Fidelity Report) as a knee-jerk press reaction to what ended up being a total fraud campaign committed by LH Labs on the Indiegogo platform, and Lee Scoggins not being around for this "implementation" stage of TAS' digital transformation is hardly a shocker.

Somewhat OT, but I don't believe that LH Labs started off with the intent to defraud. The problem was that they realised that the more expensive perks they added (at the suggestion of supporters, no less) the more money people would shell out. I guess they figured they'd sort out 20, or however many variations of a new product they needed to make after the fact, and it all went downhill from there. The irony was that they were promoted and supported by people who were usually known to be extremely critical of product hype, to the point when I suggested to one of them that they stop promoting LH Labs' products as what they were doing raised major red flags, I got, effectively, threatened with legal action in person.

13 hours ago, bambadoo said:

AS (and other forums) are there primarly for the consumers.

Stereophile, TAS etc. are there primarly for the "industry".

Major difference. 

With manufacturers directly interacting on forums, it is possible to have a venue which benefits both. 

4 hours ago, Iving said:

I find Andy a gentleman. I have explained that to him personally. Also I explained why I found his MQA-hinged reference today to the very definition of "The Big Lie" to be anomalous against what he was at pains to express in 2021. I also explained that, whilst I don't have a strong opinion about the industry press nor people in it, I loathe MQA with all my heart, and can't wait to see it fail.

Not that I am any kind of AS host, but I welcome Andy's intelligent, brave and sincere participation here.

Are we getting anywhere near a civilized discourse?

Thanks.

Irving is right. The original "Big Lie," as developed by Josef Goebbels et al, should be conflated with other egregious falsehoods only if a moral horror of a certain magnitude is involved— say Alex Jones's fictions regarding the Sandy Hook shootings. Misinformation relating to MQA itself or about those insufficiently hostile to the technology are not in the same ballpark, to put it mildly. I'm Jewish myself and came of age when the Holocaust wasn't that distant an event.

But the playbook is disturbingly similar, for so many polarizing matters, political and otherwise. Come up with misinformation that resonates with your audience and keep repeating it, even when you know it isn't true. It worked in the 1920s and 30s and, too often, it still works today.