Confused

Lee Scoggins Now President and EVP at NextScreen

Rate this topic

35 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Well, maybe this is a good thing since we kind of know among the publishing groups approximately where the lines are drawn.

If one is into all-out Industry fraternization, obfuscation, willingness to forego facts and truths, accept spiritual levels of explanation applied to audio gear, have a "president" willing to unabashedly shill publicly then NextScreen Publishing Group is it and Mr. Scoggins is your man. The Absolute Sound, Hi-Fi+, and his alma mater Part-Time Audiophile are the places to go for this kind of indoctrination "news".

On the other side we have AVTech Media with Stereophile, Hi-Fi News & RR, Sound & Vision with IMO at least the ability to provide reality-testing. While I have no love for AudioStream and InnerFidelity is a disaster since Tyll's departure, at least there's significantly more on the AVTech side of value IMO...

Then we have the Independents like us here with various opinions and philosophies. Will be fascinating to see how these publishing groups play out through the 2020's.

Lee is certainly going to make the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society Gala fun this weekend. And I have Lee Scoggins, Jim Austin and Art Dudley right where I want them. Imagine the joy in my heart when I texted Andy Quint and said you work for Lee now. Andy posted his congratulations on TAS.    I will introduce my girlfriend to Michhael Fremer as the Lee Scoggins of Stereophile at the Gala.

Now that Lee is President, he can start denying he knows guys he's been photographed with at audio shows.

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

12 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Is his new position a step up or down?

Did his pay go up or go down?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

8 minutes ago, mansr said:

What about his smugness?

Don't see it going down.  So I'll guess it goes up.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

4 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Good question but I can’t see how a niche magazine could pay what Accenture does. 

He can always make it up in Golden Ear Awards.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:28 AM, Archimago said:

Will be fascinating to see how these publishing groups play out through the 2020's.

Unless that's what you'd call the motion of a rock falling off a cliff, I'm not certain "fascinating" is the word I'd use here. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but the younger generation of audiophiles seems, to me, to have been brought up on HydrogenAudio much more than on .mp3, and seem to be better vaccined against snake oil, maybe because they weren't exposed to new age bullshit like boomers were. Plus, they can't afford it anyway.

I am curious how much inroads generationally attuned woo-mongers like Darko are going to be able to make, though.

9 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

I am curious how much inroads generationally attuned woo-mongers like Darko are going to be able to make, though.

I just looked at his web stats, you won't make any inroads with those numbers.

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Not sure how well this actually moves product though or even if many find the videos to be "cool" or even beneficial.

I'd be curious to know if the LinusTechTips Abyss video had any impact. Seems like a smart move on their part (Linus probably has more subscribers than all HiFi youtube combined).