IGNORED

EtherREGEN: All posts about firmware moved here

I was wrong about the latest firmware update.... It did not lose any musicality at all. Its better everywhere slightly. It was my ears!! Sorry, Alex and John. I just realised that I had some issue with my ear or ears in last few days 😞 It was partially blocked like living in a vacuum from time to time in last few days. It comes and go, never experienced this in my life. I hope that its not a sign of losing my hearing......

Anyway, I had a good listen tonight when my ears are clear and music I heard was full of life!

On a side note, I came across a product called Net Isolator from Jcat while I was surfing for audiophile quality ethernet cables without metal plugs. The description of it sounded so similar to ER but strangely its not powered.

• Install between the Ethernet cable which connects to home network (the router or the switch) and the network audio component (music server, network renderer)
  • For best performance install in close distance to the network audio  component (music server, network  renderer)
  • The Ethernet cable entering the NET Isolator from home network (the router or the switch) does not have to be very high quality, but it is recommended that the short Ethernet cable from the NET Isolator to the network audio component (music server, network renderer) is audio-grade – it is of most importance
  • The NET Isolator eliminates harshness caused by the network noise and makes the listening stressfree. Noisefloor is lower, music flows more effortless and finer details can be heard easily

I wonder what's the difference if anyone knows about it? 

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks Alex!!!  Piece of cake.  

I was listening to Art Blakey's Moanin' prior to this.  Either expectation bias has me imagining things - or the sound is now clearer and more focused.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Well despite not being affected by drop outs etc I have installed the new firmware without issue and am delighted I did! In my system the new release has definitely seen a drop in bass which in V1 I was finding a bit too heavy for my listening tastes. Lighter, airier and with less 'grunt' V2 has nailed it.

Thank you Uptone.

Morph

firmware update installed :) (Mac user here: no issue whatsoever)

definitely need a screwdriver with "large-ish" handle to apply the necessary force (tried a thin one, first, but couldn't unscrew those bolts)

I do confirm too both an overall clarity increase and tighter bass

thank you once more John and Alex :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

35 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

I do confirm too both an overall clarity increase and tighter bass

very much agree

massive increase in transparency

significant drop in bass

i'm telling myself this is better but i'm not yet fully convinced

less body

is this just such an elevation in sq - maybe clock related - that muddiness we never knew was there is removed

surely not any kind of "tuning"

21 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Well thanks guys, now I’m too scared to update, afraid I’ll lose that strong foundation I raved about. 😂

Since there’s no way back I now really hope there’s a possibility Alex&John will release a firmware version with just the EEE issue fixed (or even the original with that EEE bug present)

i love the transparency and detail

i don't like the loss of body - the music is technically better but has lost its soul

I'll give it a while - see if there is a cooking effect

otherwise i'd like to understand how *this* firmware change could have such dramatic effects

and what options may lie ahead apart from return

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

That is not going to happen. We are not making a "tunable" switch!

The new firmware code results not only in fixing of the EEE issue, but it improves both transmit and receive performance of the PHYs in the switch for the RJ45 jacks on the ‘A’ side. It is technically—and sonically—better. Period. B|

But, but..you already tuned it! 😉😁

Seriously, I can understand that position and since I don’t suffer from the EEE issue I’ll stay where I am now and await further feedback, generously given by other owners.

31 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Well thanks guys, now I’m too scared to update, afraid I’ll lose that strong foundation I raved about. 😂

Since there’s no way back I now really hope there’s a possibility Alex&John will release a firmware version with just the EEE issue fixed (or even the original with that EEE bug present)

I think you can make a backup of the original firmware and put it back if you so desire. That is probably not approved in any way, but I guess it is technically possible. 

5 minutes ago, Iving said:

... i don't like the loss of body - the music is technically better but has lost its soul

I'll give it a while - see if there is a cooking effect

otherwise i'd like to understand how *this* firmware change could have such dramatic effects

Sorry Martin, but there is no “loss of body or soul” (though that is a great jazz standard B|) with the new firmware. I have compared them side-by-side (two new units with same zero hours on them), and while the new firmware is better, the difference is not huge and there is no loss of bass.

3 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

why????

Sorry, I thought I was answering in a private message to Dutch (in Dutch). 

Why? True... Because it is possible? 

By the way, I am not going back. Like this better and if I were you : you do not want to have those dropout issues. Not now, not later. 

Just now, Superdad said:

Sorry Martin, but there is no “loss of body or soul” (though that is a great jazz standard B|) with the new firmware. I have compared them side-by-side (two new units with same zero hours on them), and while the new firmware is better, the difference is not huge and there is no loss of bass.

loss of body or soul is something we may agree or disagree about

likewise whether firmware is better or not

i can tell you categorically that the difference is very substantial and that the bass is significantly diminished

mine is an ethernet-based local playback system - revealing enough

2 minutes ago, Iving said:

likewise whether firmware is better or not

i can tell you categorically that the difference is very substantial and that the bass is significantly diminished

Since you can not A/B/A compare, you can not know that for sure. Your mind may be imagining the difference. 

Of course if you are not happy with your EtherREGEN we will cheerfully refund your purchase. :)

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Since you can not A/B/A compare, you can not know that for sure. Your mind may be imagining the difference. 

Of course if you are not happy with your EtherREGEN we will cheerfully refund your purchase. :)

please don't level that anti-subjective crap at me

enough of that at ASR

perhaps PM is better

i'll listen a while longer

10 minutes ago, Iving said:

please don't level that anti-subjective crap at me

There is nothing “anti-subjective” about performing simple A/B/A/B listening comparisons. (Not talking about blind, A/B/X, etc.) I’ve been doing such for more than 4 decades, even down to with things like resistors and small parts changes. Sometimes it takes a bit of back and forth to get a handle on if something is truly better, worse, or the same—as well as to identify any trade offs.  And with many actual advances, the change can reveal the true nature of the other components in the system and recordings—for better or worse.

Such is the realm that the EtherREGEN works in...:D