IGNORED

EtherREGEN: All posts about firmware moved here

29 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Chill guys! 9_9

Since John and I are the only people on the planet currently able to compare the current firmware (A/B/A/B) to the original (and despite what someone implied I have not sent a "rollback" file to ANYONE), I'd say it was amusing how a FEW of you are getting hung up on what you THINK you remember the original sounding like.  Only I am not amused, as all you are doing sowing fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

The new firmware--aside from fixing the EEE bug--improves transmit and receive performance of the PHY circuits of the 'A'-side RJ45 ports. That is all. We reserve the right to produce a technically superior product.  Whoever said they thought we spent months "voicing" the EtherREGEN to its original release "sound" and then rushed in a change without listening is 100% wrong on both counts.

I think one vocal person is using only the optical port on the 'A' side and still claiming the new firmware "ruins" the sound him. But the code change we made does not touch the SFP cage's SGMII interface at all, so it is just imagination. 9_9

I am going to listen again myself over the weekend and then make a decision about if we will make the technically poorer performing firmware file available. Until then, please tone it down a bit.  Thanks,

--Alex C. 

It's not reasonable to suggest that those of us struggling with ER rev. are sowing fear, uncertainty and doubt. That is a false and pernicious frame for our motives and I object to it.

12 minutes ago, Iving said:

disagree

ER1 and ER2 are two completely different animals

they have different personalities

they are effectively two different products

ER1 earned very near unanimous approval

ER2 is very hifi but some of us feel it is inferior musically

it is fascinating that a single-design product can produce two different outputs the result of fixing an EEE problem and/or ???

the ER clearly has truly massive potential

ER2 doesn't feel like a final solution

Ah, OK, I was wondering what part of my comment you disagreed with. 🙂 No problem, I retract my assumption that everyone would think not having an ER at all would be more subjectively consequential than the firmware change. And I wish you an agreeable outcome.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 minutes ago, soares said:

It must be me Alex, as I am just using the fiber. 🤪

but I haven’t touch anything on the system. And whether I am having some ear troubles or it’s not my imagination... 

I am sorry Alex, but it’ what I am hearing. I will check tonight if I disconnected anything from my system.

cheers Jorge

The changes only affect the RJ45 ports on the A side, not the SFP port or the RJ45 port on the B side.

Could you remind me of your connectivity again? Do you have anything else on the A side? I've been racking brain trying to figure out how changes to just the A side RJ45 ports could possible affect anything on the SFP port if there is nothing attached to them. The changes only affects signals on the RJ45 ports, so if nothing is connected then I don't see how anything could possibly be changed.

We do know that sometimes the SFP modules make poor contacts with the connector inside the SFP cage. Could you try taking the optical cable out, pulling out the SFP module, reinsterting it, firmly pushing it in, then reconnect the optical cable and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

John S.

8 minutes ago, Iving said:

disagree

ER1 and ER2 are two completely different animals

they have different personalities

they are effectively two different products

ER1 earned very near unanimous approval

ER2 is very hifi but some of us feel it is inferior musically

it is fascinating that a single-design product can produce two different outputs the result of fixing an EEE problem and/or ???

the ER clearly has truly massive potential

ER2 doesn't feel like a final solution

I think most of us for or against the update all exaggerated the scale of changes. I do not think it’s “huge” difference but I feel the update sounded slightly different. Definitely hear what they improved it but I missed the engaging sound of the original which “ maybe “ imagined because it was such a big improvement over my Netgear switch at the time. But somehow I don’t connect with my music as much as with original ER. I just wish I can roll back to original to have a listen again to be certain, that’s all. 

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

my assumption that everyone would think not having an ER at all would be more subjectively consequential than the firmware change

well you were referring to "emotional charge"

that is indeed a subjective thing

for some of us the emotional "consequences" of ER1 > ER2 are painfully greater than the ER > ER1 gain

thank you for wishing agreeable outcome(s)

*that* is *my* motive - win win win

everything is ok

3 minutes ago, dminches said:

Alex, maybe at some time (in another thread) you or John can explain what this means.  I tried to google it but didn't find anything meaningful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHY_(chip)

It's the chip that implements the Ethernet protocol for the switch. The firmware update improved the chip's performance with regard to receiving and sending Ethernet data.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, Jud said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHY_(chip)

It's the chip that implements the Ethernet protocol for the switch. The firmware update improved the chip's performance with regard to receiving and sending Ethernet data.

Thanks for the link.  I know what the definition of PHY is.  What I would like to know is the definition of "improved the chip's performance" is.  That is a pretty general term.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 minutes ago, dminches said:

Thanks for the link.  I know what the definition of PHY is.  What I would like to know is the definition of "improved the chip's performance" is.  That is a pretty general term.

The Wikipedia article says "the Ethernet PHY is a chip that implements the hardware send and receive function of Ethernet frames." Whether the firmware changes made throughput more reliable, closer to nominal speed values, or improved it in other ways, I wouldn't know.

34 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

I listened to it for quite some time with no problems, but did notice a small improvement in SQ, I still have no idea why.

Hi John, thanks so much for clarifying the details and backgrounds of this update. I think SQ improvements are very subjective. May I ask what kind of sound you prefer? The reason for asking is that you may think smoothness is an improvement but I may not because I like get up and go kind of sound for example. Some people may prefer a brighter sound but I prefer a darker sound so any change towards the top end can end up with totally different conclusion due to different preferences. 

I think some of us having different opinions of the change is not strange at all and we have no idea why we hear changes, just like you I guess. Since SQ change was totally unintended, I wonder why we get criticised for having different opinions on the outcome? 

We are just giving you guys our feedbacks and I dont think anyone has some kind of secret agenda here.

3 hours ago, Bernstein said:

There are several opinions on V1 and V2. 
Can the people happy with the V2 give some statements about their observations?

V2 sounds as good as V1 in my system. Maybe users are going through the burn in period. When a device burns in it and can vary in sound quality.  Relax, listen and wait before jumping to conclusions. 

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The changes only affect the RJ45 ports on the A side, not the SFP port or the RJ45 port on the B side.

Could you remind me of your connectivity again? Do you have anything else on the A side? I've been racking brain trying to figure out how changes to just the A side RJ45 ports could possible affect anything on the SFP port if there is nothing attached to them. The changes only affects signals on the RJ45 ports, so if nothing is connected then I don't see how anything could possibly be changed.

We do know that sometimes the SFP modules make poor contacts with the connector inside the SFP cage. Could you try taking the optical cable out, pulling out the SFP module, reinsterting it, firmly pushing it in, then reconnect the optical cable and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

John S.

Dear John, thank you for taking your time to reply to my messages. My optimal configuration after many trials was to have my zen mkIII connected directly to the router and also connected over Ethernet to an oM and from it to the eR with fiber. From eR it was connected by Ethernet (b side) to an uR and then usb to an iR connected to my oppo 205 usb input (I had previously a Qutest but preferred the oppo as a Dac). Gianmaria Testa singing “una carezza d’amor” is a good track to evaluate SQ (I know it quite well).  As soon I received the eR I was struck by the impact of Gianmaria voice. Deep and profound. I heard it just before the upgrade. I did the upgrade and everything changed. Not just with this song but many others. I will check tonight all connections and report back but this is not coming from my imagination. I am 54 and This is my hobby for almost 30 years. I don’t doubt that you didn’t touch to the fiber port but something happened.  go figure... This being said I wish you both a excellent and well deserved weekend. I’ll be waiting  for your decision on the former firmware. Thank you. Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.