IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

15 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

it is shielded so it is not a good cable. I'm teasing . My Wireworld cable has the same connectors.

same : 

https://www.adark.co/products/afterdark-constellation-cfs-cat7-telegartner-mfp8-edition

it is however recommended by AfterDark

Hi! MasterWarzombie, 

The AfterDark. Constellation Network cable is tailor made for use it on the port B of EtherREGEN. The braid outside the network cable was insulated by 3M electrical tape and not touching the metal plug of Telegartner MFP8 plug. This is to avoiding the noise is feed to the port B of EtherREGEN.  The best sounding network cable for UpTone EtherREGEN shall following this approach.

The Telegartner can provide the excellent contact point for the lan port, so make the shield cable not touching the Telegartner metal plug is the way to go. 

f.thumb.jpg.13dddeec68e85d684c48aec399bb28f0.jpg

Please noted that when we change the plug for some customers, we found that Wireworld and Audioquest Diamond Lan cable is connected to the braid of the cable, so it was not recommended. So, make sure it is modify with the above arrangements. 

Hopes it can help to explain the design. 

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

20 hours ago, James Stephens said:

I use ethernet cables from Ghent Audio that are shielded via the JSSG360 method ... the shield is not connected at the ends and so it brings the traditional benefits of shielding ... namely blocking EMI .. but also blocks leakage currents. I use them everywhere because although I only have a single fiber connection to the A-side of my ER, there are other places in my network .. router, modem etc where I desire to block leakage currents.

Best,

James

Correction from John on Isolation thread Page 3 as I had this wrong (apologies all) 

====

Just a word of clarification: the shield tied/not tied Ethernet cable ONLY affects true ground loops. High impedance leakage current will go through ANY Ethernet cable (except one that is not plugged in!)

Quick refresher:

Ground loop: caused by voltage difference (50/60Hz) between safety grounds on different outlets.

Leakage loop: current flowing from mains AC (NOT safety ground), through power supply to DC output. Can travel to other boxes and either go through leakage in another power supply or get shunted through a safety ground connection.

I've written extensively about this in other posts.

John S

=====

Best,

James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

With an impending delivery occurring for the EtherRegen, thought to put feeble brain to paper and see how to connect the device to the rest of the system.

With all of the cabling shielded including AC power lines, may as well continue with the signal and 9V power lines to the EtherRegen and the ifi Micro USB 3. 

To avoid rising voltages caused by shield currents, the 9V lines are short. Shields are connected at the plug end as well bonded to the metal frame of the junction power box. The large 6mm (10AWG) bonding the Lumin, ER (A-Side) and the junction box maintain the same potential  to the earthed 0V at the Acopian power supply.

The thought of a separate LPSU for the Micro USB 3 and Ether Regen did receive some thought. Not only the cost, but potential leakage paths across the AC line and bonding the two 0V togther would have created a worse problem. The noise from the A side of the ER is worse than the Micro USB in any case, a pragmatic solution with just the one PSU. In any case the noise form the A side would be far less less than the standard ifi iPower SMPS for the Micro USB3. 

The STP (Shielded twisted pair) of the Lumin bonds the B side to the same ground as the Lumin, antenna effects are minimal due to the short cable and being shielded anyway.

The Acopian supply (9V, 6.5A)  has two sense terminals, like the JS2,  that compensates for long leads voltage drops, so the desired voltage won't drop (too far).

Normally the audio system is powered down with the Music server always on. IP addresses are assigned by the router to the MAC address of the one of the JCAT Net Femto NICs. The other NIC is DHCP for the Lumin, now ER.. so the IP address should be transparent from the JCAT through to the Lumin, apart from a speed change, 1GB/s to 100MB/s.

The ER & Acopian will power up with the rest of the sources, the Lumin takes some time to establish a network connection, so the ER should be functional by then.

image.thumb.png.dd45070586f5c5a575789927b9a137b2.png

Networked audio EtherRegen _ USB3.pdf

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Going back to the "everything in digital is important" mantra.  I had freed up a 12V Chinese LPSU which had been upgraded by Coherent with low noise regulators and high quality caps.  Putting that in place of the Paul Hynes PR3i to power my 4G router made a significant sound quality improvement.  Noise is everything in power supplies for digital equipment, but it's crazy how I can hear the difference powering the component at the very start of the chain, ending at the DAC.

Turning to the end of the chain, Coherent are now upgrading my Mutec MC-3+ USB for better performance (it was already modified for 5V DC operation).  Since this directly feeds my DAC via AES, it's critical for best sound quality.  I have a loan Mutec while waiting for mine to be returned.

Relevance to the ER?  It's in the middle of the chain and doing its job very well.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu Deluxe streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. Uptone JS-2 PSUs x 2.  PS Audio P3 & P12 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

On 3/16/2021 at 5:58 AM, One and a half said:

The thought of a separate LPSU for the Micro USB 3 and Ether Regen did receive some thought. Not only the cost, but potential leakage paths across the AC line and bonding the two 0V togther would have created a worse problem. The noise from the A side of the ER is worse than the Micro USB in any case, a pragmatic solution with just the one PSU. In any case the noise form the A side would be far less less than the standard ifi iPower SMPS for the Micro USB3. 

I’m quite sure you’re braking the moat by this setup. Mostly by using shared power and probably the creative way to ground. (In addition Vbus power is a challenge). 

In your case I can’t see any reason to use the ground screw on the EtherRegen. Read the user manual.

You could also test with fiber in. Adding fiber interface to your PC. Or even use the opticalModule. 

Without starting a discussion about the iFi Micro USB 3.0, I take the chance to suggest to remove it. At least as a test.

USB cables is an issue as well. And good Vbus power. I guess a USPCB won’t fit in your system or ?

The STP (Shielded twisted pair) of the Lumin bonds the B side to the same ground as the Lumin, antenna effects are minimal due to the short cable and being shielded anyway.

This goes against everything we learned about how to do ethernet wiring. Allowing possible loops to travel along the connected shield of the ethernet cable. 

The other NIC is DHCP for the Lumin, now ER.. so the IP address should be transparent from the JCAT through to the Lumin, apart from a speed change, 1GB/s to 100MB/s.

You may have a problem here. Data sheet Lumin says only 1 GB. @wklie can you comment on that ?

Further you may benefit a lot to reverse the EtherRegen and use fiber into Lumin. 

Will be interesting to hear how things works out.

BTW: You using both 230 VAC as well as 110 VAC ?

An other area of concern or ?

Hi all,

Interesting point of note  ... as I understand it the ER was limited to 100Mbps on the "clean" B-side to reduce jitter since it is less noisy that GbE.

Best,

James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

On 3/9/2021 at 3:12 AM, JohnSwenson said:

Yes the SFP+ modules work the same way, they are just electrical/optical converters. No clocking, no format conversion. They use a different laser that can be modulated faster and a different driver chip that can drive that laser very quickly.

The SFP+ interface was designed to be compatible with regular SFP so you should be able to use SFP+ modules in an ER. Just make sure you use the same modules on both ends. There are so many different variants of SFP modules that trying to mix and match is a recipe for disaster.

As to phase noise, I'm not sure. 10Gb has such a short pulse that jitter in the whole system has to be very small, but I'm not sure how much of that is in the actual module and how much is in the electronics feeding the module. Measuring that in situ is going to be very tough.  It could possibly be done with a simple system with a very low phase noise 10MHz LVDS clock going into the transmit side of an SFP cage, then another SFP cage with the receiver LVDS going into a very low jitter LVDS to single ended 50 ohm output (I know the circuit for this, but it is pretty expensive) and feed that into the phase station. THAT will tell you what the phase noise of the module itself is (well at least the combination of transmitter in one module and receiver in another). Again another piece of custom test equipment that I'm not going to have time to build for a long time.

John S.

Hi John

Please confirm that EtherRegen is working with 10 Ghz SFP+ modules, so there isn’t any confusion about this. 
(I know there exists 1 GB SFP+, but I’m not asking about those. They will of cause work). 

Andreas

14 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I’m quite sure you’re braking the moat by this setup. Mostly by using shared power and probably the creative way to ground. (In addition Vbus power is a challenge). 

In your case I can’t see any reason to use the ground screw on the EtherRegen. Read the user manual.

From recent discussions here, the last few pages, the ground thumbscrew is on the A side only. So any voltage differences on the A side Ethernet shells and the Lumin's case won't be, that's the whole idea of that 6mm wire.

14 hours ago, R1200CL said:

You could also test with fiber in. Adding fiber interface to your PC. Or even use the opticalModule.

Without starting a discussion about the iFi Micro USB 3.0, I take the chance to suggest to remove it. At least as a test.

USB cables is an issue as well. And good Vbus power. I guess a USPCB won’t fit in your system or ?

This goes against everything we learned about how to do ethernet wiring. Allowing possible loops to travel along the connected shield of the ethernet cable. 

You may have a problem here. Data sheet Lumin says only 1 GB. @wklie can you comment on that ?

Further you may benefit a lot to reverse the EtherRegen and use fiber into Lumin. 

Will be interesting to hear how things works out.

BTW: You using both 230 VAC as well as 110 VAC ?

An other area of concern or ?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

11 hours ago, James Stephens said:

Hi all,

Interesting point of note  ... as I understand it the ER was limited to 100Mbps on the "clean" B-side to reduce jitter since it is less noisy that GbE.

Best,

James

If I remember good, Alex from Uptone noted somewhere, the reason of speed limited to 100Mbps on the "B clean side" ethernet port it is only because the time when the etherRegen was dizained 1 GB ISOLATOR chips was not on the market.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

7 hours ago, roman410 said:

If I remember good, Alex from Uptone noted somewhere, the reason of speed limited to 100Mbps on the "B clean side" ethernet port it is only because the time when the etherRegen was dizained 1 GB ISOLATOR chips was not on the market.

Right ... so I imagine 100Mbps was a better choice for the B "clean" side .... back then .... but things change and maybe that's not true now ...

The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past.

Best,

James

29 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Fantastic explanation.

Thanks a lot John. 

30 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Signal difference. The SFP spec uses LVDS format for the signals going in and out, SFP+ uses CML. CML circuits will run much faster than LVDS so they are used for SFP+. They ARE different, BUT all the signals going in and out of both SFP and SFP+ have a capacitor in series, which means that INSIDE the module they are exactly the same. The result is that the signals going in and out of an SFP cage work just fine with an SFP+ module.

Could this be understood as two modules with same laser and transfer technology (singel mode / multi mode), but one being SFP and the other SFP+, should in theory perform equal with respect to the parameters we as audiophile are interested in ?

This LVDS vs CML is something determined by circuits in the switch or where the cage is mounted, so if any difference, it will be determined somewhere after cage ?

All this talk of SFP vs SFP+ modules has got me wondering about potential sound quality differences between modules and also single mode vs multimode and whether it might make a difference SQ-wise.

What do people think?

I am currently using single mode SFP's for my OM to ER fiber run but I ran both single mode and multimode fiber from my basement too in case I got the urge to experiment lol ....

Best,
James

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The lasers etc used in SFP+ modules are different than the ones used in SFP modules.

The attached data sheet of SFP+ 10 GB FTLX1475D3BTL and the SFP 1GB FTLF1421P1BTL is both singel mode 1310nm DFB laser. But I guess it’s still different some how. Maybe not important. 

If you know what to look for in the data sheet telling us good or very good, please let us know. 
The jitter numbers for the FTLF1421P1BTL seems very good, and was the lowest number I could find among Finisar modules. 

Thanks again for a great explanation. 

finisar_ftlf1421p1xtl_oc-48_ir-1_stm_s-16.1_rohs_compliant_pluggable_sfp_transceiver_product_specification_rev_b1.pdf finisar_ftlx1475d3btl_rohs-6_compliant_10g_10km_1310nm_single_mode_datacom_sfp_transceiver_productspecrevb1_0.pdf