IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 3/21/2021 at 9:59 AM, R1200CL said:

Actually 1310 is single mode. 1300 can be MM. Name those SFP you’re using.

Anyway that SQ confirmation of 1310nm is nice. 

I will. Still nothing wrong in mixing those two specific modules I think. I’m quite sure equal laser wave length and same manufacturer ensures that. Still I totally agree. Testing is good. And just found the 10GB below $40. 

We could even ask @AfterDark. to test some combination of the modules he has, but maybe he won’t. Won’t benefit his sale I guess. 

This a totally disagree with. Now you’re the one creating confusion about something well tested.

This the same saying don’t purchase Adrian’s nice 10GB modules. 

I’m using this 1421 with a one meter cable. No problem at all. 
And if it really is an issue for someone, just add $10 and purchase 20 meter and hide it behind your rack.

I like to hear the arguments about too bright.

Please stop mixing up the meaning of my words. I am talking about the plastic/glass strand that carries the light impulses when I say the word "fibre". I am not confusing the wave length of the transceiver with the actual plastic/glass fibre as you seem to have done. There are both Multi-Mode and Single-Mode transceivers out there for 1310nm wavelength signals.

Also, please don't attribute words to me that I have not said or ever intend saying. Again you seem to have confused distance of 10km with a transceiver speed of 10 Gigabits. Completely unrelated terms for the intent and meaning of my written words.

I'm glad to see that you are indeed experimenting. That's how you understand better in MHO. Keep it up and do more.

Regards

GG

5 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

Please stop mixing up the meaning of my words. I am talking about the plastic/glass strand that carries the light impulses when I say the word "fibre". I am not confusing the wave length of the transceiver with the actual plastic/glass fibre as you seem to have done. There are both Multi-Mode and Single-Mode transceivers out there for 1310nm wavelength signals.

There is no mixing. I’m very clear. 
There normally doesn’t exist any multi mode 1310nm. So it’s highly likely you have single mode. Even though you claims you never tried it.  850 as you tried is MM.  What color is your cable and connectors? You didn’t tell model number those SFP either when I asked. 

You may do some goggle on the subject.

Chosen SFP’s normally determine the cable and type of connectors to be used. Standardize on SM, takes you the whole way up to 100GB. 

11 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

you may be aware of it, but the SR orange is directional. The orange fuse must be placed in the Farad super 3 with SR from back to front.

Agreed, for all SR fuses, the direction is left to right when reading the label right way up.

You can tune with them to a degree.  I use Oranges in both my regenerators and Reds in each component.  There is a single Blue in the DAC power as it has a calming effect on the high resolution and dynamics I get from it.  I've never used a Black.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

My small amount of experimentation results in lower voltages fed to etherregen equals meatier sound.  Higher voltage is brighter and more open.  The difference in sonics  from 7v to 12v is actually quite substantial.

I need to double. check this perception.

9 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

My small amount of experimentation results in lower voltages fed to etherregen equals meatier sound.  Higher voltage is brighter and more open.  The difference in sonics  from 7v to 12v is actually quite substantial.

I need to double. check this perception.

that is difficult to say so, because it also depends very much on which power supply you use, but also which powercable and DC cable is used!

12 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

That's true only if you live north of the equator.  It's the opposite direction otherwise.

(that was a joke)

...you never know how folks will take a joke, right! Someone posted on another forum that the silver Chord Dave had a brighter sound; the black anodized case sounded darker. OMG--it became an issue. Who wouldathought? 

Full disclosure: I have the silver Dave, as I prefer a "cleaner" sound. 😉

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

3 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...you never know how folks will take a joke, right! Someone posted on another forum that the silver Chord Dave had a brighter sound; the black anodized case sounded darker. OMG--it became an issue. Who wouldathought? 

Full disclosure: I have the silver Dave, as I prefer a "cleaner" sound. 😉

the darker backgrounds of the black DAVE are to die for (right @Doody ?)

Black DAVEs rule, Silver DAVEs drool (sorry not sorry)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

@Superdad:

Hi Alex,

As I remember, you and John recommended good short cables for connecting a separate clock-device to the Etherregen. We all know, you don't recommend certain cable brands, but let me ask you some spec-facts. What types would you choose?

- max. length: 30 cm / 50 cm / 100 cm / > 100 cm / DNM (= "does not matter")

- connectors: RCA-cable (interconnect) with BNC-adaptor / "coax-digital cable" with soldered BNC-connectors / DNM

- connector-fitting: soldered / soldered with "silver-solder" / screwed / crimped / DNM

- conductors: silver / silver-plated copper / OCC / OFC / DNM

- conductor layout: solidcore / braided / DNM

- cable-shielding: "standard" coaxial shielded / antenna-cable type shielded / JSSG360 / unshielded / DNM

- any more specs? / DNM

7 minutes ago, Oggo said:

@Superdad:

Hi Alex,

As I remember, you and John recommended good short cables for connecting a separate clock-device to the Etherregen. We all know, you don't recommend certain cable brands, but let me ask you some spec-facts. What types would you choose?

- max. length: 30 cm / 50 cm / 100 cm / > 100 cm / DSM (= "does not matter")

- connectors: RCA-cable (interconnect) with BNC-adaptor / "coax-digital cable" with soldered BNC-connectors / DSM

- connector-fitting: soldered / soldered with "silver-solder" / screwed / DSM

- conductors: silver / silver-plated copper / OCC / OFC / DSM

- conductor layout: solidcore / braided / DSM

- cable-shielding: "standard" coaxial shielded / antenna-cable type shielded / JSSG360 / unshielded / DSM

- any more specs? / DSM

You are missing “crimped” which is recommended by all major coaxial cable manufacturers. 

Say NO to ROON

EtherRegen listening evaluations day 5 (90 hours burn in)

Here the listening tests is a CD Rip of "Thom Rotella Band" Self titled CD from 1987 from DMP DR10 compared to the CD.

Blue corner : CD setup: Accuphase DP-720 SACD/CD Player XLR Analog out -> Pre-amp

Red Corner : Computer Audio: Music Server JCAT NET Femto -> 35m Cat5e -> ER Side A -> ER Side B -> Accuphase DC-950 DAC -> XLR Out -> Pre-amp (ER PSU = none other than ifi iPower 9V 1.5A)

The ifi power is used overnight to keep burning in the caps. If the ER stays, I will work out a system to keep the ifi on standby to the ER when the main audio system is off. If the main audio system is on, the ifi is closed own (from the AC side) and the linear supply kicks in. That way no leakage currents can flow anywhere from that rotten SMPS. The ifi is AC powered from a standard TN system 120V network and is separate to audio AC power (by a long shot).

The DC-950 has a superior DAC formation than the DP-720, so the two aren't quite equal. When the DP-720 proprietary HS-Link is used to the DC-950, it's in another class again. For the exercise, both sources can be switched A/B on the run.

ER: The sound stage has definitely changed form the initial 3 hours run. The image now at 90 hours is roughly like this:

1. The centre image is a bubble about 1m across, speakers are 3.5 m apart.

2. Left and right speaker have their own content about 0% off stage and 20% in stage (I mean here 20% from the speaker to the centre)

3. There's a gap between centre and mid way of that bubble to the physical speaker (about the same left and right).

Accuphase:

All the gaps are filled with the sound stage spread over the two speakers with a little spilling over the sides. The height here is a tad higher, not much maybe 1/2 foot. Since the soundstage is across the speakers, instruments are readily defined in space.

I'll swap out the ifi supply with the linear 9V, 6.5A and see what happens.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

EtherRegen listening evaluations day 5 (90 hours burn in) (update)

Substituted the ifi IPower with the 9V 6.5A Acopian PSU. Also changed to "Karla Bonoff Greatest Hits" SHM-CD and CD Rip of the same same situation red and blue corner.

No real differences, pretty much the image is as the same as post 1120799. Uptone Audio's guidance is that the power supply doesn't matter, which I would tend to lean to, with the one caveat is that if it is an SMPS that is it sourced from a totally different AC supply than the remainder of the audio system.  

On the signal side, there's a CAT6 STP cable between the Lumin U1 and the ER. 

Erratum:

Red Corner : Computer Audio: Music Server JCAT NET Femto -> 35m Cat5e -> ER Side A -> ER Side B -> Accuphase DC-950 DAC -> XLR Out -> Pre-amp (ER PSU = none other than ifi iPower 9V 1.5A) is not right.

Should be:

Red Corner : Computer Audio: Music Server JCAT NET Femto -> 35m Cat5e -> ER Side A -> ER Side B -> Lumin U1> Ifi Micro USB3 -> Accuphase DC-950 DAC -> XLR Out -> Pre-amp (ER PSU = none other than ifi iPower 9V 1.5A)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

10 hours ago, One and a half said:

EtherRegen listening evaluations day 5 (90 hours burn in) (update)

Substituted the ifi IPower with the 9V 6.5A Acopian PSU. Also changed to "Karla Bonoff Greatest Hits" SHM-CD and CD Rip of the same same situation red and blue corner.

No real differences, pretty much the image is as the same as post 1120799. Uptone Audio's guidance is that the power supply doesn't matter, which I would tend to lean to, with the one caveat is that if it is an SMPS that is it sourced from a totally different AC supply than the remainder of the audio system.  

On the signal side, there's a CAT6 STP cable between the Lumin U1 and the ER. 

Erratum:

Red Corner : Computer Audio: Music Server JCAT NET Femto -> 35m Cat5e -> ER Side A -> ER Side B -> Accuphase DC-950 DAC -> XLR Out -> Pre-amp (ER PSU = none other than ifi iPower 9V 1.5A) is not right.

Should be:

Red Corner : Computer Audio: Music Server JCAT NET Femto -> 35m Cat5e -> ER Side A -> ER Side B -> Lumin U1> Ifi Micro USB3 -> Accuphase DC-950 DAC -> XLR Out -> Pre-amp (ER PSU = none other than ifi iPower 9V 1.5A)

One thing to try, have you listened to a UTP cable instead of the the STP cable?

John S.