IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

15 hours ago, watts said:

So I am happy! First because my ears are better than I thought they might be, and because I trusted many in this thread and bought this switch. Like we all know, the higher the quality and more resolving one's system the easier it is to hear differences. And I keep reading from those with much more experience than I, when it comes to streaming "everything matters".  

Wow! Terrific follow-up review! Many thanks.

So glad (but not surprised) to know that you are enjoying the benefits of EtherREGEN even more as your system evolves and becomes more revealing. B|

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Wow! Terrific follow-up review! Many thanks.

So glad (but not surprised) to know that you are enjoying the benefits of EtherREGEN even more as your system evolves and becomes more revealing. B|

Thank you Alex, and you're welcome. And/or it might be due to the increase of noise on the internet highway! 

I need to do this experiment again today. I still can't believe the difference, and it is so easy to do- easier than a power cord swap- Turn off DAC, pull out one ethernet cable and insert the other, turn on DAC, sit and wait about 10 seconds for Roon to kick back in, and listen. Yes those 1's and 0's sound so much better with this stuff inserted. All your friends at ASR don't know what they are missing. 😉

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>EtherRegen>SOTM DCBL Cat7>Antipodes K50>Jorma AES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx500 / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Audioquest Hurricane & Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments

• 1 month later...

I was puzzling whether wired or wi-fi should/could/was the better option for streaming and I couldn't find a clear answer. Hopefully this will be of some use to anyone who has the same question. I'll try to be succinct.

A little context first.  I had a semi- wired set up....Roon running on a windows laptop that was hardwired to a google wi-fi point that connected via wi-fi to the next point in another room that was wired to a streamer. After some rabbit holing on the etherregen, I took the plunge. However. Not one hour after making payment, I decided on a whim to remove all CAT cabling from the set up and....everything that I didn't think there was too much wrong with to begin with.... got much better.

And I thought I'd maybe parted myself from a good chunk of cash for nothing. (I have no neighbours and very solid wi-fi that just doesn't drop out). And then I got to wondering whether wi-fi could in any way transmit noise in a similar way to ethernet cables. And that was what I couldn't find a ready and clear answer to.

Anyway. Etherregen arrived and I hooked it up. Straight out the box it seemed to be on a par with wi-fi.

Long story short. When I shut off the wi-fi within the streamer (and managed to have the streamer recognised!) things jumped up a number of notches despite the newness of the unit.

So the laptop is still communicating via wi-fi and the only cables are from the streamer that's wired to the Regen that's wired to a wi-fi point.

So I'm guessing the answer to the question around wi-fi/wired SQ, should anyone be wondering, at least by my (perhaps faulty) reasoning, comes in a touch 'left field' and suggests the wi-fi implementation within the streamer is key rather than wi-fi itself.

7 hours ago, jamsquirrel said:

I was puzzling whether wired or wi-fi should/could/was the better option for streaming and I couldn't find a clear answer.

I tried wi-fi, ethernet cable and fiber optic cable in my desktop system and my main system. In both cases, wi-fi had the poorest sound quality, fiber optic the best. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

Hi,

Can someone be kind enough to post the an eye-diagram of the Tx Ethernet signal at the output RJ45 socket, please ?

I didn't find the info is somewhere in this thread...

Just to see how nice it looks (and to compare with my tiny lost cost experiments 😃 )

Thanks

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

On 3/8/2024 at 2:17 PM, tgb said:

Can someone be kind enough to post the an eye-diagram of the Tx Ethernet signal at the output RJ45 socket, please ?

We have done them, but they are quite meaningless for Ethernet--aside from seeing ramps and openness. And even those can not be compared between differing test set ups/equipment.

An eye pattern won't tell you a thing about jitter in the range that is meaningful for the ground-plane effects that are caused and propagated by phase-noise in data interfaces.

In fact, there really do not exist any test instruments--even those costing $200K--which will directly do phase-noise analysis on packet data.  The PLLs in even the best analyzers completely miss all phase-noise that falls under about 12KHz. It is complicated--and despite @JohnSwenson explaining it to me several times I paraphrase him badly--but it has to do with the PLL needing a stable signal to trigger from. Maybe John will publicly explain sometime why:

a) the big analyzers don't care about the low frequency stuff--which is the most important to us;

b) it would take enormous amounts of storage to capture the massive number of data points needed to do real phase-noise analysis of Gigabit data streams at low frequency.

All the big excursions of in phase-noise of a clock are at low frequencies--and ALL that gets ignored by the PLL in even the best test gear.

John has sketched out an ambitious measurement system--using a LOT of RAM and a really large, high-speed new FPGA--that he hopes to build. [But not until AFTER EtherREGEN Gen2 is done! 9_9]

Makes a lot of sense. If it would be easy it would have been done already. ;-)

I am serious.... so much noise out there (pun intended) and its hard to distinguish for "normal" people. I guess why I like uptone is, that they dont charge 50k for their switch ;-) makes these guys real!! Just my 2 cents ;-) 

Just a reminder for myself when I had to "downgrade" my EtherRegen power supply solution earlier this week due to some unknown instability issue with the ER, only for a few days, being originally powered by a UpTone LPS-1.2 with a UpTone AC-DC adapter to a 'UpTone AC-DC adapter only' I lost some of that blacker background, cleaner less grained/-grayish sound and larger sound stage in every direction that LPS-1.2 had provided earlier.

Downgrade time was a let down but it's all good now after reintroducing LPS-1.2 back to my audio system, working 100% again. 

On 3/16/2024 at 5:40 AM, Savolax said:

Just a reminder for myself when I had to "downgrade" my EtherRegen power supply solution earlier this week due to some unknown instability issue with the ER, only for a few days, being originally powered by a UpTone LPS-1.2 with a UpTone AC-DC adapter to a 'UpTone AC-DC adapter only' I lost some of that blacker background, cleaner less grained/-grayish sound and larger sound stage in every direction that LPS-1.2 had provided earlier.

Downgrade time was a let down but it's all good now after reintroducing LPS-1.2 back to my audio system, working 100% again. 

Would you please let me know what your symptoms were regarding the "instability issue" with your LPS-1.2?  Also, what did you do, if anything, to correct the issue?

Thanks

On 3/16/2024 at 4:12 AM, Mops911 said:

Makes a lot of sense. If it would be easy it would have been done already. ;-)

hi Mop911 (& Superdad too !),

"done already" ?... it is not so obvious... because electronics is full of "straight-forward" designs, and innovative designs like the EtherRegen

To be clear, I'm not bashing Uptone here.

Uptone : "if it didn't exist, it should be invented" (I guess you get the meaning of that French common quote)

I don't have any product from Uptone, because I do DIY experiments (etherRegen like), but like I go on doing my experiments because I get a cleaner SQ, I guess Uptone would have last a few months only if their product didn't improve the SQ.

To Superdad,

I agree, to do a proper measurement can be tricky, and as you said : my test fixture is not yours, and thus comparison between your results & mine are tricky (or close to : complete mismatch) 😀

but... if you could provide a eye-diagram of the Etherregen ouput, it could help... to understand... "better SQ" 😀

all the best !

9 hours ago, JHG said:

Would you please let me know what your symptoms were regarding the "instability issue" with your LPS-1.2?  Also, what did you do, if anything, to correct the issue?

Thanks

All I know and can guess, my LPS-1.2 was never the culprit. As for this "downtime" I tried LPS-1.2 powering my Wifi router for the time without any problem and came to conclusion it's not the either LPS-1.2 or ER in fault here. 

This instability issue I had was, or at least it did show up as repeatedly disconnecting/connecting network in ER. Power LED did stay on but both side RJ45-port leds did go off simultaneously for a quick moment. A kind of reboot-loop what comes to my mind.

As a guess of main culprit it most probably had something to do with my BG7TBL-clock and it's affected clock signal output. 

This happened few weeks after installing Minicircuits BLP-10.7+, related or not.

3 hours ago, Savolax said:

As for this "downtime" I tried LPS-1.2 powering my Wifi router for the time without any problem

Are you sure about that? Any router I've looked required at least 2.5A. The LPS-1.2 maximum guaranteed output current is 1.1A.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

35 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Are you sure about that? Any router I've looked required at least 2.5A. The LPS-1.2 maximum guaranteed output current is 1.1A.

I only had WAN-cable attached and the router served it's main purpose as a for that day and a half or so. 

Goes within the requirement of Asus RT-AC53 though. 

image.thumb.png.6e1830d83633795f08a066d792faeccc.png

Anyway, I think this is getting in wrong direction..

I just wanted to express my appreciation of having a LPS-1.2 with EtherRegen 😄

18 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The problem here is that eye diagrams are designed for binary signals, Ethernet is not binary (two voltage levels), 100Mb has 3 voltage levels and Gigabit has 5 voltage.

Sounds like these 10GB eye patterns then only make a selection of a certain voltage level. Correct ?

Why are they only defined in a standard for 10GB, and not for 1GB ?

But then fiber shouldn’t need voltage levels and eye patterns, but fiber to my knowledge has eye patterns. So maybe the measurement is taken somewhere else on the PCB ?

I assume in the end these voltage levels use same clock anyway. 

On 3/18/2024 at 6:27 PM, R1200CL said:

Sounds like these 10GB eye patterns then only make a selection of a certain voltage level. Correct ?

Why are they only defined in a standard for 10GB, and not for 1GB ?

But then fiber shouldn’t need voltage levels and eye patterns, but fiber to my knowledge has eye patterns. So maybe the measurement is taken somewhere else on the PCB ?

I assume in the end these voltage levels use same clock anyway. 

Do you have a link to the 10G eye diagram you are talking about? It is most likely the electrical side of an optical link, that IS binary and has a standard eye diagram. You can certainly do the same thing gigabit fiber. The problem is with the copper twisted pair interface. The actual cable pairs have pretty low bandwidth over long distances so they use multiple voltage levels to increase the data rate then use 4 pairs to get it up to gigabit. THAT is the interface that is going to be hard to do an eye diagram for.

John S.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:03 AM, JohnSwenson said:

it's not that the ER doesn't do anything but that all the test equipment out there designed to measure such things deliberately completely ignores the aspects we are trying fix

hi,

could you please elaborate ?...

because the way you wrote it, it looks like you have a cheapo scope (70MHz BW / <1kEur)... and it sounds weird...

.. and especialy the "the aspects we are trying fix" : what do you mean here ? (1)

Back to subject :

- an 100Mb ethernet signal, from the ER (100MB for the ER is a smart choice)

- it is a easy signal to trigger using any scope, cause signal freq is 125M, thus any cheap 00M BW scope will do the job (3kEur max)

- anyone can tweak a switch or a FMC-bridge and measure the signal using a fairly cheap oscilloscope, and check which tweak is OK or KO vs SQ. So what ?

Ethernet is cheapo to measure vs USB ! lol ! (although I can measure USB 2.0 signal thanks to a "vintage" scope I bought at 3kEur only)

Strange exchange... 

an answer to (1) would help....

2 hours ago, tgb said:

could you please elaborate ?...

because the way you wrote it, it looks like you have a cheapo scope (70MHz BW / <1kEur)... and it sounds weird...

The 6GHz, 40GS/s Teledyne LeCroy SDA-760zi Wavepro @JohnSwenson uses had a retail price of $69,000 when new. He bought his several years ago for about $19K.

I'll let John address your other questions.

But as explained before, an eye pattern reveals only limited information--and does not at all reveal close-in phase-noise--no matter how costly the gear.

@tgb

I translate all this in my "brain" so I can make sense... ;-) 

we transmit digital data using analog signals and transfer the digital data back to analog signal ONLY. Mixing these two domains (analog and digital) and translating from digital to analog, seem to render complex (not mere complicated) but actual complex (unpredictable? non-linear? hard to predict?) results and changes the output of the DAC itself. Its not the data which changes (otherwise, obviously a word document would alter as well), but something else (ground plane?) Our ears hear it, theories exist,  hypothesis seem to be confirmed, but we lack proof and can't measure ... 

Our digital world does NOT rely on an accurate D-to-A process. Its all in the digital domain. Audio is one of the few areas were the translation back to analog REALLY matters...ok, a printed picture is a translation back to analog, but as I use to say, our ears are much better than our eyes ;-) it sounds facetious, but I do think that our ears have a better resolution from 50-15000 Hz than our eyes in the visible spectrum...

We forget, how we actually dont know anything. I was the other day in a IBM Innovation studio and saw the presentation of a robot dog. People were stunned and applauded...and made pictures...As stunning as it is as an engineering feat, I would submit that a 2 year old baby has much great skills and pattern recognition....
:-D