IGNORED

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

3 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Hmm, it is in Polish, correct? So I can't really tell what it is supposed to do. But perhaps you need to have it burn in for few wks. (300-500 hrs ?). Is it now the music is cleaner and thinner, more lean? This can happen when  dirt in the PS/line is cleaned up. And may have a perceived lack of warmth. Or it is merely unmasking defects in the sound system. 

Google Chrome automatically translates it for me into English. It has 2 DC blocker sockets, the other 6 have Schaffer filters. Yes, the sound has less depth and detail. Not hugely, but enough to worry me into posting about it.

While looking around in the audio diy supply store of audiophonics, I came across this Female Socket Jack DC 5.5 / 2.1mm for PCB which looks identical to jack socket on my nuc7i7dn. Not only for the nuc’s but barrel jack connectors are use a lot in audio.

I noticed that the contect resistance is max 30mohm. That is not so good if we pay big bucks for power supply’s to get low impedance.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/jack-dc-plugs/female-socket-jack-dc-55-21mm-for-pcb-gold-plated-p-14073.html

1454C081-0E66-47E7-B7EE-C8188651E86C.jpeg.c6e9009cf1767b2628681415d69fb83f.jpeg

I say try to avoid barrel jack connectors!!

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

25 minutes ago, marce said:

That is electrical contact resistance, not the power supplies internal impedance. At 1 amp current you'll drop 30mV (at the max. figure), just add this figure to the drop on the cable (determined by the cable's  resistance) and you'll have your total voltage drop from supply to load.

What I meant is if you have a power supply with an output impedance of say 5 mohm, a cable 1mohm and a barrel connector of 30 mohm wouldn’t be 36 mohm at the nuc circuit?

I am just wondering but some of us, not me, buy expensive power supplies and there is always talk about the low impedance of it. Then they use these barrel connectors which seem a high impedance connection. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Received my Sean Jacobs DC3 PSU a couple days ago and am using it to power my HQPlayer PC. With this purchase, I am now powering 90 % of my digital signal chain with Sean's PSU designs. (Server, HQplayer, Endpoint, and Switch)

Just wanted to mention that the improvement in overall SQ was (in my sincere opinion) immediate and apparrent. 

So with all the interesting scientific discussions going on in this thread, the proof for me is in the SQ pudding.

My perception: The quality of a PSU clearly makes a distinguishable difference throughout the signal chain.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:50 PM, baconbrain said:

Received my Sean Jacobs DC3 PSU a couple days ago and am using it to power my HQPlayer PC. With this purchase, I am now powering 90 % of my digital signal chain with Sean's PSU designs. (Server, HQplayer, Endpoint, and Switch)

Just wanted to mention that the improvement in overall SQ was (in my sincere opinion) immediate and apparrent. 

So with all the interesting scientific discussions going on in this thread, the proof for me is in the SQ pudding.

My perception: The quality of a PSU clearly makes a distinguishable difference throughout the signal chain.

I’ve already had some very helpful exchanges with Sean and feel myself ever closer to placing an order for a 2-rail fixed voltage supply with all the upgrade options, including the same regulator parts used in the Innuos Statement, which Sean says bring a slight advantage.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

20 minutes ago, str-1 said:

I’ve already had some very helpful exchanges with Sean and feel myself ever closer to placing an order for a 2-rail fixed voltage supply with all the upgrade options, including the same regulator parts used in the Innuos Statement, which Sean says bring a slight advantage.

I had my DC3 built to the same specs as the Zenith SE and am not regretting the purchase one bit. Sean was even nice enough to provide me with longer connecting cables at no additional cost when I changed my mind at the last minute.

Fantastic service and product.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 8:52 AM, baconbrain said:

I had my DC3 built to the same specs as the Zenith SE and am not regretting the purchase one bit. Sean was even nice enough to provide me with longer connecting cables at no additional cost when I changed my mind at the last minute.

Fantastic service and product.

Have you ever heard any of the Paul Hynes PSUs and have a basis for commenting on how they compare to Sean’s DC3?

I find myself in two minds again now that I have learned that the Paul Hynes SR5s and standard-build SR7s are available to order from PHD Ltd, and have seen the info sheets for these.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

• 1 month later...

Finally went for a 2-rail standard-build SR7.  Ordered and paid for on 22nd October.  PHD Ltd have told me that the transformer has been ordered and they will try to get the supply to me before Christmas.

14 minutes ago, str-1 said:

Finally went for a 2-rail standard-build SR7.  Ordered and paid for on 22nd October.  PHD Ltd have told me that the transformer has been ordered and they will try to get the supply to me before Christmas.

If I may ask, what was it that made you pick the 2-rail SR7 instead of one of the other top LPS that have been discussed here?

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, luisma said:

Guys, quick question, a friend have $700 for an LPS, he would like to have 4 amps amd 5, 7 and 12 V output

Which one would you pick in that budget if any?

Check out HDplex.

The old 200W is not being made. They have a 300 W and I think 800W ?  I am not sure if it can output 4 Amps.

Paul Hynes has multi-rail too but again not sure if it has 4A for all. But it is > $700 I think.

2 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Check out HDplex.

The old 200W is not being made. They have a 300 W and I think 800W ?  I am not sure if it can output 4 Amps.

Paul Hynes has multi-rail too but again not sure if it has 4A for all. But it is > $700 I think.

Here is the link for Paul Hynes:

https://www.paulhynesdesign.com/sr5

THis SR5 can do > 4 A and has dual rail. I am not sure if it can do all 5,7 and 12 V

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Ok need to revive this thread:

Has anyone tried or read reviews on this ?

https://www.ciunas.biz/product-page/copy-of-supercapacitor-power-supply-dual-voltage-outputs

It is a budget 5V LPS. - only 150 euro and has 2x 5V output

I want to find out what are the best budget 5V LPS around this price range

Both Farad and Paulhynes are single output and more costly.

No answer for you but an alternative suggestion to consider - Allo Shanti dual 5V around 170 Euros

Martin

I have a 9v Ciunas supercapacitor power supply feeding a sotm tX-usbUltra SE which replaced a ifi iPower.

To no surprise the Ciunas supercapacitor power supply gives a substantial improvement in SQ.The one thing that I immediately noticed (no burn-in) was a sense of presence. I have some experience with the "clean" sound of the Ultralow-noise LT3045 regulator. The Ciunas also creates a "clean" sound, but adds a presence and liveliness that is most welcome.

34 minutes ago, pele1969 said:

I have a 9v Ciunas supercapacitor power supply feeding a sotm tX-usbUltra SE which replaced a ifi iPower.

To no surprise the Ciunas supercapacitor power supply gives a substantial improvement in SQ.The one thing that I immediately noticed (no burn-in) was a sense of presence. I have some experience with the "clean" sound of the Ultralow-noise LT3045 regulator. The Ciunas also creates a "clean" sound, but adds a presence and liveliness that is most welcome.

It would be my guess that it's because the caps have such a great current capability. What you describe is what I'd call PRaT, and that is what beefy power supplies get you in analog.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 12:42 PM, Jud said:

Nice, but not a panacea. Considerations include noise associated with opto-electrical conversion, and whatever noise is kicked back into the mains by the units doing the conversion at each end.

I don't think most people appreciate what you keep trying to teach them...re the noise being kicked back into the mains. 

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"