IGNORED

Streamers ranked by sound quality

I have had several steamers in my system. I've experienced major improvements along the way.

Ranked by sound quality:

Yamaha wxc-50

Pioneer N-30 

Logitec Squeezebox

- big gap

Auralic Aries Mini with sbooster 

- big gap

Sonore microRendu with LPS-1

Sotm sms-200 with sbooster 

Auralic Aries femto with sbooster 

Sonore ultraRendu with LPS-1 

I'm interested how you rate other streamers from experience. Others like Cambridge CXN and 851N or steamers up to 2500 euro/dollar like Teac, Sotm, Lumin, Innuos Zen etc. 

Personaly I'm not interested in other functionality like dac and pre amp. I like to focus this list on the streamer sound quality (with the internal dac bypassed if existant).  

1 hour ago, jaaptina said:

I have had several steamers in my system. I've experienced major improvements along the way.

Ranked by sound quality:

Yamaha wxc-50

Pioneer N-30 

Logitec Squeezebox

- big gap

Auralic Aries Mini with sbooster 

- big gap

Sonore microRendu with LPS-1

Sotm sms-200 with sbooster 

Auralic Aries femto with sbooster 

Sonore ultraRendu with LPS-1 

I'm interested how you rate other streamers from experience. Others like Cambridge CXN and 851N or steamers up to 2500 euro/dollar like Teac, Sotm, Lumin, Innuos Zen etc. 

Personaly I'm not interested in other functionality like dac and pre amp. I like to focus this list on the streamer sound quality (with the internal dac bypassed if existant).  

I wouldn’t rule out a Rendu / SBooster combination. I recommend it over the original LPS-1 power supply. 

53 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I wouldn’t rule out a Rendu / SBooster combination. I recommend it over the original LPS-1 power supply. 

The ultraRendu with a SBooster works extremely well, however the 9v unit makes the uR too hot (IMHO), haven't tried the 6v SBooster. I have had positive results using Channel Islands VDC-7 mk2 7v supply which I replaced the 9v SBooster with, sounds great and the uR runs cooler.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

41 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

The ultraRendu with a SBooster works extremely well, however the 9v unit makes the uR too hot (IMHO), haven't tried the 6v SBooster. I have had positive results using Channel Islands VDC-7 mk2 7v supply which I replaced the 9v SBooster with, sounds great and the uR runs cooler.

+1 for the CI Audio 7v PS with my mR 1.4.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

8 hours ago, Doak said:

Would I not also need some sort of computer to use the Rendu?

Like with Aries only a network is needed. In my case a NAS with Minimserver and Bubbleupnp on Android as control point. The same set up I used with Aries. Aries does work with Bubbleupnp on Android but not as well as the Redu's. 

On 3/17/2019 at 11:33 AM, skatbelt said:

My personal experience (ranked):

1. dCS Network Bridge

2. Sonore ultraRendu / LPS1.2 fed by Uptone JS-2

3. Sonore microRendu / LPS1 fed by Uptone JS-2

- big gap

4. Mac Mini (Uptone DC-modded) fed by Uptone JS-2

Note: connection between the streamer and DAC: AES/EBU (1) and USB (2, 3 and 4).

All previous posts list streamers worst -> best. Am I correct in thinking you have reversed the order to best -> worse? If I'm not correct you certainly have an amazing Mac Mini!!

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

1 hour ago, DavidL said:

All previous posts list streamers worst -> best. Am I correct in thinking you have reversed the order to best -> worse? If I'm not correct you certainly have an amazing Mac Mini!!

I thought it would be obvious but you are correct, my Mac Mini is not that amazing.. 😉

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

2 hours ago, skatbelt said:

I thought it would be obvious but you are correct, my Mac Mini is not that amazing.. 😉

Hi.....

Not to change the subject, - but I bet that DCS NB with the Dave sounds incredible!! I would love to hear that....

Actually, - I really want to hear a DAVE..... & while I'm dreaming, - compare it to my APL...

13 hours ago, skatbelt said:

Yes I thought it was 'obvious' but there are so many Mac Mini upgrades out there one never knows ..................

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

Does anyone here think their Tidal replay is close to stored files? Thanks! 

I have cancelled my Tidal subscription long ago but I had a Qobuz Sublime subscription until November 2018. And yes, Qobuz replay was as good as replay from local and LAN 16bits/44.1kHz files. Now I am using Idagio and the replay quality is much lower as I have to cast Idagio contents via Airplay or Chromecast.

I have found by the way all these streaming services unacceptably dumb: none of them offers a means of organizing favorite albums by tags or folders. As a consequence, a  collection of more than a few dozens favorites becomes unmanageable.

I am going to cancel my Idagio subscription by the end of the month and will come back to Idagio or Qobuz once they will finally provide effective ways of managing and browsing a collection of selected favorites. The services as they are now are for me unusable.

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

I have found by the way all these streaming services unacceptably dumb: none of them offers a means of organizing favorite albums by tags or folders.

Check out Roon (support Tidal and Qobuz) and see if it fills this need.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I have used different Squeezeboxes, the latest being an EDO-modded Touch through USB, plus various computers through USB with and without various s/pdif interfaces. So far nothing have been able to reach the sq of the Moon MiND 180 through AES/EBU and with the original 12v SBooster. Curious about the ultraRendu though, but can't really find any fault with the MiND. Good control app too.

On 3/19/2019 at 1:46 AM, One and a half said:

The Lumin U1 outranks the Bricasti M5. The differences are mainly in the noise floor, using AES3. 

I would hope so at almost 2.5 times the price.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, wklie said:

Check out Roon (support Tidal and Qobuz) and see if it fills this need.

Unfortunately it doesn't. Roon can seamlessly  merge Tidal and Qobuz favorites into LAN collections but that's not what I want. I want a means of organizing my favorites in the Qobuz (Tidal, Idagio, etc.) app, ideally with user definable tags. Otherwise I would always be presented with different views of my collection depending on whether I am on the Qobuz (Tidal, Idagio, etc.) app or webpage or in a Roon control point. It is really not difficult to support user-specific tags, every halfway decent system for organizing photographs, mails, bookmarks, etc. provides such support. It's just internet streaming services of music and videos that only offer crap interfaces for relatively high prices.