IGNORED

Streamers ranked by sound quality

Hello - Although I've not gone the high-end route, I've settled on the Elac Discovery Server with Roon Essentials built in.  The user interface is great, and the 30,000 track limit between Tidal and user library is not a concern to me.  I connect my Elac server to a rebuilt Adcom GFP555 pre-amp and GFA555 power amp and the sound is very nice.  Although another limitation of the Elac is it will only play files up to 24/192 max.  Again to me the sound is very nice, but I've wondered what I'm missing if I had a higher-end streamer.  

Elac Discovery Server

1 hour ago, runnin17 said:

I just bought a Sonoro microRendu and so far I am very happy. I toyed with the idea of trying a Raspberry Pi, but given the tried and true nature of the microRendu it was hard to pass up.

Roon sounds great and it was super simple to setup :)

What’s your full digital chain look like? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 2:36 AM, wanta911 said:

I had the Aries Femto in my setup since it was introduced but I kicked it out of my setup 6 months ago in favour of the much cheaper Allo Digione Signature. I recently compared them again using both the original LPS and an SBooster LPS on the Aries to make sure, and it confirmed my initial thoughts - the Allo is staying in. The downside is that the UI & feature set with Volumio is not even close to Lightning DS but I can live with it for the preferable SQ in my system.

I haven't compared with the likes of Aurender, Lumin or the new Auralic offerings and probably never will as I am at a stage where I have a subconscious expenditure cap on components after a history of spending way too much.

Why are you using Volumio? You can use Roon via Diet Pi on that End Point.

I have tried a few of the cheaper streamers, including chromecast audio, RPI and then moved onto to try a few of the Allo products, with the Digione (via spdiff) and the USBridge (via USB). They both run dietpi and sound good. I am eyeing up an upgrade soon, largely because I tinker (when I should probably leave alone!).

So my two chains both start with;

Intel NUC running win 10 with Roon and HQ Player with Synology 918+ NAS storing music onto Netgear 5 port switch > Ethernet > then...

1) (Office setup) Netgear 5 port switch > Ethernet > Allo Digione > Arcam irDACII>Adam F5 studio monitor speakers (upscaling via Roon to highest PCM DAC can handle, typically 176 or 192kHz)

2) (Lounge setup) Netgear 6 port switch > Ethernet > Allo USBridge > Mytek Liberty DAC > PMC Twenty5 22 speakers (upscaling via HQ Player to DSD 256).

I do like the Allo products although they can be a little fiddly to update. I am very interested in the incoming Allo USBridge signature. Allo and dietpi were really helpful when I couldnt get DSD 256 running, and they both made tweaks to their software to allow this to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to this but here's how I'd stack-rank the streamers I've owned, from best to worst.

1.  Innuos Zenith Mk2 Std

2.  microRendu 1.4 with ISO Regen; both powered by LPS-1.2

3.  microRendu 1.3 powered by LPS-1

4.  Auralic Aries femto

5.  Mac mini

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1.  Sonore Signature Rendu SEsystemeOptique

2.  Sonore Signature Rendu SE

3.  Sonore microRendu v. 1.4 with Signature Power Supply

4.  Sonore microRendu v. 1.3 with Signature Power Supply

5.  PS Audio Bridge 2 (in the DS DAC)

Anyone care to rank an iPhone and/or iPad (and/or Android devices) used as a ROON endpoint via WiFi (USB into DAC)?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

23 minutes ago, barrows said:

1.  Sonore Signature Rendu SEsystemeOptique

2.  Sonore Signature Rendu SE

3.  Sonore microRendu v. 1.4 with Signature Power Supply

4.  Sonore microRendu v. 1.3 with Signature Power Supply

5.  PS Audio Bridge 2 (in the DS DAC)

Anyone care to rank an iPhone and/or iPad (and/or Android devices) used as a ROON endpoint via WiFi (USB into DAC)?

You like Sonore then?! Have you tried any of the other streaming solutions?

On 3/17/2019 at 4:01 AM, jaaptina said:

I ranked by sound quality:

Yamaha wxc-50

Pioneer N-30 

Logitec Squeezebox

- big gap

Auralic Aries Mini with sbooster 

- big gap

Sonore microRendu with LPS-1

Sotm sms-200 with sbooster 

Auralic Aries femto with sbooster 

Sonore ultraRendu with LPS-1

I'm very happy with my Squeezebox Touch units, USB-enabled by edo. To me the DACs they're connected to make a larger difference to the sound, and amps have an even larger effect. That is the case for my Duet and PC-based endpoints as well.

Like you I've also tried I an ultraRendu, powered by an LPS-1.2, in the media room here. The 'Rendu is at the bottom of my list too, though that's because it was so unstable and unreliable (unlike my Sonicorbiter server) I was never able to fully evaluate it. I replaced it with a small fanless PC and an ISO REGEN powered by that same LPS-1.2.

So, my ranking is like this:

• Squeezebox Touch with edo
• Fanless PC, with ISO REGEN on LPS-1.2

• Laptop, with USB REGEN on stock PSU

• Squeezebox Duet via coax out

• ultraRendu on LPS-1.2

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

12 hours ago, left channel said:

I'm very happy with my Squeezebox Touch units, USB-enabled by edo. To me the DACs they're connected to make a larger difference to the sound, and amps have an even larger effect. That is the case for my Duet and PC-based endpoints as well.

Like you I've also tried I an ultraRendu, powered by an LPS-1.2, in the media room here. The 'Rendu is at the bottom of my list too, though that's because it was so unstable and unreliable (unlike my Sonicorbiter server) I was never able to fully evaluate it. I replaced it with a small fanless PC and an ISO REGEN powered by that same LPS-1.2.

• ultraRendu on LPS-1.2

I believe jaaptina’s ranking is reversed and his/her best ranked streamer is listed last.   

16 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

You like Sonore then?! Have you tried any of the other streaming solutions?

He works for them as a consultant as far as I know.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

17 hours ago, left channel said:

• ultraRendu on LPS-1.2

Do you connect the Touch to the dac via USB or S/Pdif? I have an edo-modded Touch and a 5v SBooster PSU that I haven't used for years.

3 hours ago, Matias said:

He works for them as a consultant as far as I know.

Yes, as is mentioned in my signature...

The only "other" streamers I have experience with is the built in "Bridge 2" in the PS audio DS and DSJ...  Oh, and I have very briefly played around with using my iPad as a ROON endpoint via WiFi with USB output...

I preferred the (entry level) microRendu to the Bridge 2 or the iPad via WiFi.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, Veovis said:

Do you connect the Touch to the dac via USB or S/Pdif? I have an edo-modded Touch and a 5v SBooster PSU that I haven't used for years.

I use a SBT, USB out to a DAC (currently a Topping NX4 DSD) and I am in heaven.   I run LMS via my QNAP NAS via LMS QPKG by digimaster/SimpleSolutions (https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/545).  This is brilliant.  By far the most stable implementation since I purchased the SBT whenever it came out.  I used to search for more stable alternatives but with the current LMS, no issues...ever...no rebooting...no hours of frustration trying to get it to work off LMS on my laptops.

By far the biggest enhancement to sound has been the addition of a more powerful amp, Linn 2250.  The Majik clipped pretty bad with Keilidhs but the 4-channel, biwired 2250 is awesome.  Have yet been able to clip.  I tried.

I have several other portable DACs to try.  The Topping replaced a NuForce HDP...maybe a little cleaner/less noise.  

I have not traveled the route of upgrading the power supply.  That is a black hole I do not want to be pulled into...maybe if one of my other DACs makes a very noticeable difference.

I listen to ESPN radio, Radio Paradise, and my music which nowadays is everything but I limit the RAP (pretty much Eminem only), heavy Metal or old-style country .  Mostly Alternative, Rock, Classic Rock, female vocal, and classical piano.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

5 hours ago, Summit said:

I believe jaaptina’s ranking is reversed and his/her best ranked streamer is listed last.   

Odd. Sorry. Regardless, my ultraRendu remains lowest-ranked in my list. It fails to work at the least convenient moments, like when guests are expecting music. It regularly loses contact with the DAC (I've tried two), fails to complete updates, and generally requires coddling and fiddling. In contrast my Sonicorbiter server, an SGC Microjukebox, is a rock solid set-and-forget dream.

2 hours ago, Veovis said:

USB of course. No reason to go through all that trouble otherwise. In fact I have three Touch units, connected to Schiit Modi 3 DACs.  No USB hubs or external power to the DACs required.

3 minutes ago, left channel said:

Odd. Sorry. Regardless, my ultraRendu remains lowest-ranked in my list. It fails to work at the least convenient moments, like when guests are expecting music.

Wow, that really is terrible...  I honestly wonder what the problem could be?  I have had all of my various Sonore streamers running here most of the time (I run music almost 24/7 here) and I basically never experience any problem.  I am very sorry to hear of your experience, and although it sounds like you might not be interested in fixing things, if you are interested I am certain we can get your ultraRendu working reliably if you would like (feel free to PM me for any help).  This kind of experience with Sonore products is not representative of what is normal, and not what any customer should expect. 

SONORE computer audio

12 minutes ago, left channel said:

Odd. Sorry. Regardless, my ultraRendu remains lowest-ranked in my list. It fails to work at the least convenient moments, like when guests are expecting music. It regularly loses contact with the DAC (I've tried two), fails to complete updates, and generally requires coddling and fiddling. In contrast my Sonicorbiter server, an SGC Microjukebox, is a rock solid set-and-forget dream.

Sorry to hear that it doesn’t work properly. Have you contact Jesus @vortecjr for help to resolve the contact problem?

10 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

<snip>

I have not traveled the route of upgrading the power supply.  That is a black hole I do not want to be pulled into...maybe if one of my other DACs makes a very noticeable difference.

<snip>

As the Touch has an internal switching power circuit, upgrading its adapter won't do much for you as long as the adapter is working within specs. Upgrading the power supplies for your DACs could make a difference, but yes that really is a black hole.

10 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

<snip>

I listen to ESPN radio, Radio Paradise, and my music which nowadays is everything but I limit the RAP (pretty much Eminem only), heavy Metal or old-style country .  Mostly Alternative, Rock, Classic Rock, female vocal, and classical piano.

<snip>

Three cheers for the Radio Paradise! Those folks do an amazing amount of work and produce high-quality programming, and in CD-quality FLAC too.