IGNORED

Streamers ranked by sound quality

2 hours ago, barrows said:

Just getting back to work after a successful show at RMAF.  Many who heard the system in the Sonore room remarked that it was one of the best sounding set ups at the show (and many of those folks came back to listen to our system again), unfortunately, due to a family tragedy at the last minute, we were understaffed and I had little time to hear much else, but our system did sound very fine to me.  We used the following set up:

Small Green Computer I9 server (playing local files) with Sonore optical Ethernet card (premier of this new product)-optical fiber cable-

Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical-Sonore USB cable-

Bricasti M21 DAC-Cardas Clear XLR cable-

Bricasti M25 amplifier-Cardas Clear speaker cable-

Vivid Audio Kaya 45 speakers

We were running ROON core on the server, and controlling via an iPad and ROON remote.  By using optical Ethernet, our system completely isolates any electrical noise from the server and the sonic purity gained from using optical Ethernet is a nice step up from a copper wire based approach.  The clarity of the midrange on vocals, for example, was amazing (the Vivid speakers really have the resolution to demonstrate this well) while sounding entirely natural without any hint of brightness or hardening, even when vocalists such as Alison Kraus are pushing it.  And the spacial presentation and dynamic expression was outstanding, a testament to the eerily low level of noise in the system.  It is quite remarkable to hear how much better things can be when the electrical noise from commercial computer gear is entirely gone from the system.

But do not take my word for it, see the RMAF thread at this site for independent listening impressions of the Sonore set up.

Congratulations!!!

All the best,

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:07 PM, left channel said:

Odd. Sorry. Regardless, my ultraRendu remains lowest-ranked in my list. It fails to work at the least convenient moments, like when guests are expecting music. It regularly loses contact with the DAC (I've tried two), fails to complete updates, and generally requires coddling and fiddling. In contrast my Sonicorbiter server, an SGC Microjukebox, is a rock solid set-and-forget dream.

Sorry to hear that.

I never had a problem with my uR.

Best,

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/17/2019 at 6:01 AM, jaaptina said:

I have had several steamers in my system. I've experienced major improvements along the way.

Ranked by sound quality:

Yamaha wxc-50

Pioneer N-30 

Logitec Squeezebox

- big gap

Auralic Aries Mini with sbooster 

- big gap

Sonore microRendu with LPS-1

Sotm sms-200 with sbooster 

Auralic Aries femto with sbooster 

Sonore ultraRendu with LPS-1 

I'm interested how you rate other streamers from experience. Others like Cambridge CXN and 851N or steamers up to 2500 euro/dollar like Teac, Sotm, Lumin, Innuos Zen etc. 

Personaly I'm not interested in other functionality like dac and pre amp. I like to focus this list on the streamer sound quality (with the internal dac bypassed if existant).  

I have been using my Cambridge Audio 851N as a streamer for almost 2 years with excellent sound quality. I recently started using Roon using my Surface Book as a server and core while using the 851N as the "output" device. The quality of Roon through through the 851 is extraordinary. Its like my flac digitized CD collection was cranked to 11! Im no digital technophile but Roon is most definitely doing something way beyond simply aggregating the digital data. 

8 hours ago, Rexp said:

So you got to compare the top two? 

Yes, but not directly ....yet.

I have listened to both in my system, and I had arranged for a friend who uses to dCS to bring it over JUST as the lockdown started. I will do the back to back comparison as soon as the restrictions lift.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:14 AM, haxter1 said:

I had an M5 in my system and it sounded better than the Aurender N100H.  Best of all is the DCS Network Bridge which I now use. 

Wow impressive.

Has anyone compared the aries g2 to the dcs bridge and lumin u1?

A picture of the soundaware d300ref. I am tempted by it. Getting a decent price from a dealer but there is hardly any info on it (except for 6 moons review) which didn't compare it to other streamers.

d300ref.jpg

Lumin seems to be pretty highly rated, yet, you see lots of Lumin products for sale in the used marketplace. 

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I sold off my sotm 200 ultra and sps 500 just due to firmware corruption and design issues. But I really enjoyed the sound quality. Now I am running roopieee off pi4b and although its good its really making me miss the sotm 200 ultra.

I need someone as good or better than the sotm 200 ultra but want to keep pricing under 2-3k if I can. Any thoughts ?

51 minutes ago, smodtactical said:

I sold off my sotm 200 ultra and sps 500 just due to firmware corruption and design issues.

I see you post this, but having run the exact same streamer and power supply for over a year and having zero issues. Plug and Play. Upgrade over and over with one click. Everything just works and it makes me wonder. I'm I just lucky or you just unlucky?

BTW, it sounds fantastic with my Qutest DAC, Rogue Tube amplification and Harbeth standmount speakers.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

2 hours ago, creativepart said:

I see you post this, but having run the exact same streamer and power supply for over a year and having zero issues. Plug and Play. Upgrade over and over with one click. Everything just works and it makes me wonder. I'm I just lucky or you just unlucky?

BTW, it sounds fantastic with my Qutest DAC, Rogue Tube amplification and Harbeth standmount speakers.

I had at least 2 corruptions in 1 year. 1 time i was not able to burn a microsd chip that it recognized and the second time it happened I was able to. The power switch i think is just super annoying (sps500) compared to a simple click on and off switch.

I am sure there are ppl who have no had corruption issues but from people i talked to a lot of other similar complaints.

I want to move to something very stable that just works. Apparently lumin u1 mini is rock solid.

• 4 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 3:20 AM, Rexp said:

So you got to compare the top two? 

Not back to back, but in the same system.

I AM going to do the direct comparison, but only once I can get the friend who has the dCS to come over with it; which looked possible a few weeks ago, but is now tightening up again.