IGNORED

Streamers ranked by sound quality

Ranking a streamer in a one dimensional “best to worst” is not easy, preference on the type of sound plays a role here.

I have found that some streamers offer more clarity, wider soundstage, more (perceived?) details, but mostly at the cost of less fundament in the lows (or is that tighter lows?) and less accurate timbre.

In the end I tend to prefer better timbre and more substantial lows, this keeps me returning to a not usual suspect: the CCA connected through the optical output. Note the standard CCA is not great, but with an improved power supply and fed through an ethernet adapter to give the small puck the best power and a hard wired ethernet signal, it starts to sound quit good.

Chromecast audio from Roon or Tidal (Power: medical grade SMPS —> 8V LT3045 —> USB regen (only to make clean 5V)—> CCA, Network: UGreen ethernet adapter). Optical out by mini toslink.

Allo digione (standard wallwart, Roonbridge Gentooplayer)

SoTM SMS-100, into Uptone USB regen into Schiit Eitr (Roon to squeezelite)

Fanless nuc (Gentooplayer or Euphony), into Uptone USB regen, Schiit Eitr

54 minutes ago, misterspense said:

Note the standard CCA is not great, but with an improved power supply and fed through an ethernet adapter to give the small puck the best power and a hard wired ethernet signal, it starts to sound quit good.

I agree that CCA is excellent through its optical out - I have them in several rooms at home.  But I thought the only possible network connection was WiFi.  How do you connect a CCA to an RJ45?

1 hour ago, athegn said:

Interesting - the responses I've seen on Google's Chromecast help page say this:  "Wired connection is only available to Chromecast Ultra".  But I just looked at the Google Chromecast ethernet adapter page again, and it now says that it works with CCA too.  This is progress that I frankly never expected, once CCA was discontinued.  The Google adapter is only $15, but I assume it has their standard USB PS inside - and whether this affects SQ is a little controversial.  It's "only" 10/100 Mbps (man, how soon we forget what an advance 100 was!).  This is plenty of bandwidth for high res audio from most streaming services.  Tidal HiFi is the highest speed spec I've seen (1.5) except for Deezer (5Mbps for elite and 10 for multiple streams at once).

There are many web posts on many sites about hard wiring a network connection to CCA, and they seem to be spilt about equally among "works fine", "works with some fiddling around", and "couldn't get it to work".  Did that adapter work for you immediately on plugging everything in?  Any details you can offer would be greatly appreciated, e.g. can you set a fixed IP address?   Does using an ethernet connection change the process for Chromecasting directly?  Do you know if it changes the way a CCA appears on and integrates with other zones on JRiver, Roon etc?

Thanks!!

David

Yes just plugged in and it worked. The reason I went for this adaptor is that this CCA drives my Sennheiser RS180 headphones which is positioned a long way from a WAP but near an Ethernet wall socket.

I also have an Onkyo TX8270 receiver with CCA in-built, to drive my speakers; the Onkyo is next to a network switch so that also has hard-wired ethernet.

My source for for both CCAs is my Andriod phone or tablet; normally an old 2.4Ghz tablet (I must admit that as this is so old I sometimes have to fiddle to get it to work e.g. power down the tablet then reboot, but most days it just works) but tonight my 5Ghz phone (phone always seems to work). Only the phone has an email client and I want to pass a YouTube live code to my browser and then to a CCA.

I just open up Google Home on the phone/tablet start the CCA and choose the media app. Media apps I use are BBC Sounds, PowerAmp, Qobuz and Chrome browser. I only use these so no idea how Roon, jRiver or others interact.

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2020 at 6:43 PM, smodtactical said:

Any thoughts on bricasti m5?

Also anyone try a soundaware D300ref ?

I am also curious to find out how the soundaware D300ref compare with the rest mentioned here. 

I am new to streaming and is planning to purchase a good quality streamer. Some of the streamers short listed are as follows:

a) Soundaware D300ref

b) Volumio Primo

c) Lumin U1 mini 

APPLE Mac Mini | HUAWEI S5700 Dual OCXO Network Switch | SONORE opticalRENDU | SINGXER SU-6 | HOLO AUDIO MAY L3 | CLASSÉ CAP-80 | RAIDHO X-1

DENON DP-300F + NAGAOKA MP-110 • NAIM Muso QB • YAMAHA YSP-2700

APPLE MacBook Pro | TOPPING 10s | KINKI STUDIO THR-1 | HIFIMAN Arya

• 3 weeks later...

i've been down the RPI3b+ route, acceptable with an Allo Digione though slow on transients. All options tried using the USB port were flawed compared to a microRendu

for USB out. Tried running Audiolinux on RPI3b+ but not enough processing power, could hear some promise. May go back and try an RPI 4 with Audiolinux   to see

if its reached critical mass

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 minutes ago, davide256 said:

i've been down the RPI3b+ route, acceptable with an Allo Digione though slow on transients. All options tried using the USB port were flawed compared to a microRendu

for USB out. Tried running Audiolinux on RPI3b+ but not enough processing power, could hear some promise. May go back and try an RPI 4 with Audiolinux   to see

if its reached critical mass

Blocking the USB 5V bus from the Pi 3B+ is critical. The DAC must be powered separately. I've used an iFi iDefender to inject outboard power, but I prefer a dual head USB cable with separate power leg.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

Blocking the USB 5V bus from the Pi 3B+ is critical. The DAC must be powered separately. I've used an iFi iDefender to inject outboard power, but I prefer a dual head USB cable with separate power leg.

I had an ISO Regen with LPS 1.2 at the time, for me it couldn't fix the flaws of RPI3b+, kind of a dirty sound for low level background instruments.

Much better success using NUC's although they are imperfect also for voltage noise on USB out leads. When i was using Roon  the Pentium NUC's

running Audiolinux with a good PS seemed the sweet spot for price vs performance in distributed Roon endpoints. But thats been over a year ago,

cost of better computing hardware  always improves over time, hopefully the RPI4 can give a Pentium NUC a run for the money in an

electrically quieter package...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

I had an ISO Regen with LPS 1.2 at the time, for me it couldn't fix the flaws of RPI3b+, kind of a dirty sound for low level background instruments.

I agree, there are plenty of higher quality digital transports. I doubt the Pi 4 will compete with higher quality devices either. Most pro reviews have been underwhelming, some claiming a Pi 4 sounds worse than a 3B+, although I have not heard one myself. 

When I fried my 3B+ a few months ago, I replaced it with the same unit rather than go to the 4, mainly because of the controversial SQ reports.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I only stream from Qobuz (I have no audio files) 

My rig at the moment

Qobuz - Remote controlled by Lightning DS app - iPhone

Auralic Aries g1 (32 bit USB out)

Mutec MC3+USB reclocker - with Mutec SF10 SE120 master clock 

Grace M903 DAC 

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2019 at 8:38 AM, jaaptina said:

Minimserver (on NAS) / Tidal --> Minidsp SHD Studio --> Job INTegrated --> Penaudio Cenya (speakers) 😃

Update:

Minimserver (on NAS) / Tidal --> Sotm sms-200 --> Minidsp SHD Studio --> Pass Korg B1--> Purifi Eval1 --> Penaudio Cenya (speakers) 😃

1 hour ago, jaaptina said:

Update:

Minimserver (on NAS) / Tidal --> Sotm sms-200 --> Minidsp SHD Studio --> Pass Korg B1--> Purifi Eval1 --> Penaudio Cenya (speakers) 😃

Off topic, but I have a pair of Penaudio Cenya which are very nice. I don't see them mentioned often.  I got them because I have a Sonneteer Orton amp and the company Mr Haider B recommended it.

I like them better than other speakers that I have in other rooms, ie: Spendor A6, Rogers LS3/5a, Castle Severn and Richmond, and Dynaco A25. I sold the Quad 11L Classic. 

I just read a review on TAS from December 29, 2021:                                                                                            

“Do streamers have a sound?” They are basically file movers. They move digital data, which in this case happens to be music, from point A to point B. Music files enter via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and are sent to a DAC. Ideally nothing should alter their contents or error-rate. Whether there are functions or factors within the network signal chain that can or do alter the final results appears to be a subject that inspires passionate and polarized debate. My position is pragmatic. A simple, well-designed, robust streaming-signal chain should not have an audible effect on the sound of a music file."
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/ifi-zen-stream/3

It's shocking to me to read something like that, in a respectable audio magazine, this late in the life of computer audio. If Steven Stone can't hear differences in streamers, or even the same streamer with upgrades, there is something drastically wrong with his system. The most valuable info I get on computer audio is from audiophiles and forums, especially this one. Most audio magazines are years behind.

39 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Read carefully, he is using the conditional, in theory he would be right ... the practice is another thing ... maybe

… the conjugation of a verb is important …

I don't think the qualifier is worth much, because he uses Raspberry Pi streamers, which IME are not good compared to what most are using here.

4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

“Do streamers have a sound?” They are basically file movers. They move digital data, which in this case happens to be music, from point A to point B. Music files enter via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and are sent to a DAC. Ideally nothing should alter their contents or error-rate. Whether there are functions or factors within the network signal chain that can or do alter the final results appears to be a subject that inspires passionate and polarized debate. My position is pragmatic. A simple, well-designed, robust streaming-signal chain should not have an audible effect on the sound of a music file."

I would not bother taking anything in the review seriously after reading this common newbie error - DACs do not input music files!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

He is referring to streamers, not DACs. 

??? You may just have said that you like herrings, especially red ones. What has what you've just said got to do with what I actually highlighted as an obvious fundamental error in what was quoted from his review? 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

36 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

??? You may just have said that you like herrings, especially red ones. What has what you've just said got to do with what I actually highlighted as an obvious fundamental error in what was quoted from his review? 

Well, let me repeat it so you can take a few more minutes to try to understand before jumping at my throat again..

The author of the article does not make a "fundamental error" as he is talking about music streamers, which do in fact input music files (in various formats, and using various protocols), as you say. He is not talking about DACs. 

Repeating the logical fallacy doesn't make what I'm saying false - I'd stop digging if I were you. Let me take you back to the section of the quote from the review that I highlighted in my original post, read it and actually try to be a bit more careful about it this time, if you really want to have a sensible discussion about this:

8 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I've even made it a bit easier for you by also providing you with just the offending sentence: just in case all those surrounding words are making it hard for you to pick out:

8 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Music files enter via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and are sent to a DAC.

-- Jo Cox