IGNORED

Streamers ranked by sound quality

23 minutes ago, barrows said:

Wow, that really is terrible...  I honestly wonder what the problem could be? 

<snip>

Same as all the problems you see on the ultraRendu support thread here, posted by many users. It sees the DAC, it doesn't see the DAC, it needs an update, it fails to update, over and over again. If yours is working well, be happy and don't touch it, but I am not interested in explaining to guests that they have to sit there while I reboot everything, check the DAC diagnostics, etc. etc.

15 minutes ago, Summit said:

Sorry to hear that it doesn’t work properly. Have you contact Jesus @vortecjr for help to resolve the contact problem?

Yes and he did make some improvements after our exchanges in the support thread, but in the end a better solution here was to change DACs.

But then one day it lost track of that DAC too. After trying everything else as recommended in many posts on the support thread, I ran an update but it hung on a file somewhere in the middle of that update several times.

Normally I enjoy working through technical problems just as much as I like music, but with guests waiting I gave up, moved my Sonicorbiter server into that spot for the day, then started planning a new configuration without the 'Rendu.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

25 minutes ago, left channel said:

Same as all the problems you see on the ultraRendu support thread here, posted by many users. It sees the DAC, it doesn't see the DAC, it needs an update, it fails to update, over and over again. If yours is working well, be happy and don't touch it, but I am not interested in explaining to guests that they have to sit there while I reboot everything, check the DAC diagnostics, etc. etc.

Exactly...at some point I want something that works...which I "think" I have found...when I am on the road I do not want my wife trying to figure out how to get music ...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, left channel said:

USB of course. No reason to go through all that trouble otherwise. In fact I have three Touch units, connected to Schiit Modi 3 DACs.  No USB hubs or external power to the DACs required.

The edo mod brings more than usb out, hence the question. Like 24/192 through s/pdif. But I agree usb out is the biggie. The linear psu is not for the dac but for the Touch itself. Maybe I'll dig out the touch and hear how it compares with my current streamer just for fun. 

31 minutes ago, Veovis said:

The edo mod brings more than usb out, hence the question. Like 24/192 through s/pdif. But I agree usb out is the biggie. The linear psu is not for the dac but for the Touch itself. Maybe I'll dig out the touch and hear how it compares with my current streamer just for fun. 

One of my criteria was avoiding external power to the DAC, so that's another reason for no S/PDIF. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions with and without the linear PSU though. The Touch has an internal switching power circuit, which as far as I know negates any benefits from upgrading the PSU (other than replacing the stock adapter if it was malfunctioning), but stranger things have happened.

3 hours ago, barrows said:

Yes, as is mentioned in my signature...

Using AS on a mobile browser does not show signatures, so some people will not know.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

1 hour ago, left channel said:

One of my criteria was avoiding external power to the DAC, so that's another reason for no S/PDIF. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions with and without the linear PSU though. The Touch has an internal switching power circuit, which as far as I know negates any benefits from upgrading the PSU (other than replacing the stock adapter if it was malfunctioning), but stranger things have happened.

Enjoying the EDO Touch through USB right now. Best I've heard the USB input of the DAC and very, very good period. The Sbooster may or may not do anything but I have it so I use it. Found Squeezer for Android for control point. Are there better ones out there? Also, I get notified about newer versions of LMS (mac) but seem to remember upgrading forces an update of the Touch firmware with removal of the EDO mod. Any advice? 

1 hour ago, Veovis said:

Enjoying the EDO Touch through USB right now. Best I've heard the USB input of the DAC and very, very good period. The Sbooster may or may not do anything but I have it so I use it. Found Squeezer for Android for control point. Are there better ones out there? Also, I get notified about newer versions of LMS (mac) but seem to remember upgrading forces an update of the Touch firmware with removal of the EDO mod. Any advice? 

We should probably move this discussion to its own thread, or over to slimdevices where there's a 255 page thread on edo. But the short answer is that LMS updates are good, you should at least be on 7.9 point something, and if edo gets removed it's trivial to reinstall it right from the Touch menu.

10 minutes ago, left channel said:

Oh, and @Veovis the long answer should include this: Squeezer is fast and efficient, I use it all the time, but I get more enjoyment of the LMS web app with the Material Skin plugin, which automatically adjusts to mobile or desktop as needed.

Many thanks! Upgraded to 7.9 and even got DSD working. Sounds great! 

5 hours ago, left channel said:

We should probably move this discussion to its own thread, or over to slimdevices where there's a 255 page thread on edo

Yes, I agree.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Of all the streamers that have a USB output only, before purchase, check that the USB output is compatible with the intended DAC. Despite the same connector, the drivers are the most important, especially with native DSD support. Linux is the major OS in a streamer, "Linux solves everything" is a mantra often heard, however Linux doesn't. My Playback Designs MPD-3 DAC just wouldn't work with the USB out from a Bricasti M5 (tested 2018), so once bitten, the memory of that trauma sticks, just passing the experience on.

A better guarantee of a workable solution is 'old' fashioned S/PDIF, either AES (preferred), Coax or Optical.  DSD would need to be converted by the player software, which these days is not so problematic. Despite being old, S/PDIF works and works well, have no complaints as far as imaging and tonal quality is concerned.   

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

22 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Of all the streamers that have a USB output only, before purchase, check that the USB output is compatible with the intended DAC. Despite the same connector, the drivers are the most important, especially with native DSD support. Linux is the major OS in a streamer, "Linux solves everything" is a mantra often heard, however Linux doesn't. My Playback Designs MPD-3 DAC just wouldn't work with the USB out from a Bricasti M5 (tested 2018), so once bitten, the memory of that trauma sticks, just passing the experience on.

A better guarantee of a workable solution is 'old' fashioned S/PDIF, either AES (preferred), Coax or Optical.  DSD would need to be converted by the player software, which these days is not so problematic. Despite being old, S/PDIF works and works well, have no complaints as far as imaging and tonal quality is concerned.   

The Linux kernel has the names of DACs hard coded into it for native DSD support AFAIK. So it shouldn't be a problem at the streamer end if it is running a version of Linux is up to date and the DAC supports native DSD. Special Linux drivers shouldn't be needed.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

26 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

The Linux kernel has the names of DACs hard coded into it for native DSD support AFAIK. So it shouldn't be a problem at the streamer end if it is running a version of Linux is up to date and the DAC supports native DSD. Special Linux drivers shouldn't be needed.

Yes, but. Exceptions exist. Doesn't hurt to check.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

'Sound quality' is so much a matter of judgment/taste. For example: I have part-exchanged my Aurender X100L for a Lumin U1 and while waiting for the latter to arrive (out of stock at distributor, groan) I dropped the ultrarendu/ ultracap from my headphone system into my main system. First reaction was disbelief that everything sounds twice as fast and far more detailed. Then after ten minutes my ears started to hurt, and I realised the Aurender is turned to mid-range and the ultrarendu to high and low, and the high frequencies have a piercing and disturbing effect. I'm now using Roon to upsample to DSD which helps a bit but it's still uncomfortable. So I'm hoping the Lumin will split the difference (and arrive soon!). For now I conclude the Aurender may have been less detailed but was much more listenable... 'Better'? Well, for me yes.

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

The New Cocktail 15D  is a very good little streamer to avoid using a pc.                       I use my own Dac,

quality power cord and the best digital cable S/pdif cable I have ever heard ,Beating cables 2-3 x the price very little known here . High Fidelity Cables CT-2.not cheap $1050 retail.  it has very new Patented magnetic technologies  .explained very well on their webpages.

I am slowly gravitating away from conventional cables as monies allow.I have their AC outlet power conditioners ,interconnects , Digital.This I can promise you for around a grand 

it destroyed cables usb - spdif  cables 2-3x the cost .check out their website 

the only downside is breakin time starting 200-500+ hours I owned an audio store and have heard a lot .40 years in Audio and I was Impressed. IMO well worth checking out .

On 8/19/2019 at 12:48 AM, johnwilk said:

So I'm hoping the Lumin will split the difference (and arrive soon!).

When it arrives, please try AES output if you DAC supports that, and burn it in (add some music to playlist, then turn on repeat) for a few days.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Yes, it's a Luxman DA-06, I'll get an AES cable (another expense!). The wait is driving me crazy!

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

12 hours ago, Audiophile58 said:

You have not heard your dac until you audition the Hifidelity Audio CT-2  spdif cable

it is so much better then even the best $3-4k digital  a 1.5m is the standard for best results.Trust  me Being in this for over 40:years this New patented magnetic technologies

lets you hear music like when it was recorded and just over $1k  for the cable 

is literally the most important cable in your system .you have nothing to lose 

and everything to gain  you can get a 30 day audition   Just check out their website 

and reviews  what is $1,000 dollars if it transforms  your audio system !!

This is a good cable for sure, but it doesn’t work that great in all systems.  YMMV especially with digital cables.  In my system, I found that the CT-2 spdif cable did some things very well and some things not so well.  I ended up returning it for a refund.

• 4 weeks later...

Just getting back to work after a successful show at RMAF.  Many who heard the system in the Sonore room remarked that it was one of the best sounding set ups at the show (and many of those folks came back to listen to our system again), unfortunately, due to a family tragedy at the last minute, we were understaffed and I had little time to hear much else, but our system did sound very fine to me.  We used the following set up:

Small Green Computer I9 server (playing local files) with Sonore optical Ethernet card (premier of this new product)-optical fiber cable-

Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical-Sonore USB cable-

Bricasti M21 DAC-Cardas Clear XLR cable-

Bricasti M25 amplifier-Cardas Clear speaker cable-

Vivid Audio Kaya 45 speakers

We were running ROON core on the server, and controlling via an iPad and ROON remote.  By using optical Ethernet, our system completely isolates any electrical noise from the server and the sonic purity gained from using optical Ethernet is a nice step up from a copper wire based approach.  The clarity of the midrange on vocals, for example, was amazing (the Vivid speakers really have the resolution to demonstrate this well) while sounding entirely natural without any hint of brightness or hardening, even when vocalists such as Alison Kraus are pushing it.  And the spacial presentation and dynamic expression was outstanding, a testament to the eerily low level of noise in the system.  It is quite remarkable to hear how much better things can be when the electrical noise from commercial computer gear is entirely gone from the system.

But do not take my word for it, see the RMAF thread at this site for independent listening impressions of the Sonore set up.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio