IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

20 minutes ago, davide256 said:

The Stylus buffer feature isn't used with Qobuz. Given that HQPlayer has inherent delay before start of play with even local content, does it even matter

if it supported gapless?

Roon preloads the next song, even when using HQPlayer, the only delay is at the very beginning. It plays gapless.

Stylus downloads one song entirely, then plays it, then stops to download the next song, etc...

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

I encounter this problem with Stylus too. So not only a Roon issue. 

Hi Lukasluis,

do you get the same error text "this track is not currently available in Tidal" in Stylus alone as in Roon? I do not often play with Stylus but I will try this the next days and see if this error emerge. If this also occurs in Stylus alone it is for sure not a Roon problem. Important to know.

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

The Stylus buffer feature isn't used with Qobuz. Given that HQPlayer has inherent delay before start of play with even local content, does it even matter

if it supported gapless?

Doesn’t Stylus always have 2 songs buffered at any point as it goes through the queue?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 minutes ago, c-w said:

I believe the documentation confirms what I said.  Plus, one can see what's buffered based on the color of the song "i" icon,

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

8 hours ago, bos3812 said:

Hi Lukasluis,

do you get the same error text "this track is not currently available in Tidal" in Stylus alone as in Roon? I do not often play with Stylus but I will try this the next days and see if this error emerge. If this also occurs in Stylus alone it is for sure not a Roon problem. Important to know.

Yes, I also get this error in Stylus. 

On 11/15/2020 at 8:27 AM, dminches said:

I believe the documentation confirms what I said.  Plus, one can see what's buffered based on the color of the song "i" icon,

Correct. By default Stylus buffers the first song and next for local play. If you look at your Qobuz playing list you will not see the track color

change to buffered and the manual states streaming services do not use Stylus buffer

local music with  1st two tracks buffered automatically

image.thumb.png.6a77474d77fdfcc954a920dcec02c482.png

Qobuz playing, no buffering by Stylus

image.thumb.png.3b6d1f253c30e4759f9457d9c172f2c1.png

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Correct. By default Stylus buffers the first song and next for local play. If you look at your Qobuz playing list you will not see the track color

change to buffered and the manual states streaming services do not use Stylus buffer

local music with  1st two tracks buffered automatically

image.thumb.png.6a77474d77fdfcc954a920dcec02c482.png

Qobuz playing, no buffering by Stylus

image.thumb.png.3b6d1f253c30e4759f9457d9c172f2c1.png

The manual states that with online streaming, it buffers the track playing and two subsequent tracks on the current playlist. The colored “i” doesnt show this like it does for local though, but the manual states this is how online streaming works regardless of the settings.

9 hours ago, k27R said:

The manual states that with online streaming, it buffers the track playing and two subsequent tracks on the current playlist. The colored “i” doesnt show this like it does for local though, but the manual states this is how online streaming works regardless of the settings.

I  have the manual and thats not quite what it says. It discusses using the "buffer queue to RAM option" which is only available for local content,

not streaming services. In that section it states

"Euphony usually buffers the song that is currently playing and the next song to RAM."

and below it states (pg 45)

" Meaning of the info icon colors :
● Blue - song is buffered to RAM
● Light blue - song is cached to Euphony Drive (/data/Music path)
● Light gray - song is on its original location and not buffered"

No song ever changes to blue for Qobuz music so I had assumed no buffering took place.

However I do agree that Euphony is doing its stated default behavior for Qobuz also; when I disconnect the network cable,

current and next song will complete play before cease of playback.

The manual also talks about "buffer before play =100%" as not having any effect on streaming service behavior. I enabled the "buffer albums added to queue" option,

it also had no effect on Qobuz streaming, just current and next song were buffered for playback when I disconnected network cable.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Will Stylus EP run on a Raspberry Pi4?

Not by default Euphony distribution. Raspberry Pi4 runs ARM Cortex which is off-coarse ARM architecture. Euphony is only distributed for x86 arch (Intel and AMD). I don't see any technical reason why Stylus EP can't run on ARM - they need to build an ARM version in order to run on Pi4. Its possible that their could be quiet some amount of work involved - my suggestion is to get in touch with the developer Željko who is very responsive.

Ok. Here’s a head scratcher. 

I swear I did nothing. However. Euphony and the HQPlayer Embedded control page are disagreeing on the output bit rate. I am using Stylus w HQPlayer. It gets weirder. It only happens on local files. When I play Qobuz it displays fine. 

E4F4CC55-6D0D-4232-BD04-D52067C74723.jpeg

D63CFD28-5263-41FE-A837-2AE722153020.jpeg

29DD21E9-D688-4D53-886E-2BF850CAA553.jpeg

87A454FC-2B73-4D6C-9276-0C63FB25745B.jpeg

No electron left behind.

There’s a bug in the bit rate displayed by Stylus in iPhones/iPads. If you exit the Stylus app (not close it but just switch to another app or go to the home screen) and return to Stylus, it updates to show the correct bit rate. This has been going on for sometime now and is highly irritating (to me at least) but seems to not be a priority fix. 

On 11/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, bos3812 said:

I've a question for those who run Euphony in combination with Roon and Tidal. Has any of you playing music with one of the Roon possibilities (core, hqplayer, StylusEP, squeezelite) and got the error "this track is not currently available in Tidal"? This error is a very common topic on the Roon forums and a problem which is never fixed. I've approached Roon support but they point to Euphony or my network as cause of the error. I tried a lot to get rid of this problem but to no succes. Maybe someone has experience with this problem and can help me. I get this error 10 to 20 times a day when I want to play a song or album. When I play a whole album Roon skips the first song and play's the second song. A second or third attempt is mostly succesfull. It is an annoying error and the only way to play music without this error is play music with Stylus alone.

Hi all,

the problem seemes solved. After all it was a network problem. A few days ago my ISP installed a fix on my modem probably due to more complaints from other customers. That worked. From that moment not one single error did appear. It remains strange that playing music with Stylus and Tidal was flawless but playing music from Tidal with Roon caused a lot of errors. I guess I will never know. I am glad it is solved (hopefully). 

1 hour ago, bos3812 said:

Hi all,

the problem seemes solved. After all it was a network problem. A few days ago my ISP installed a fix on my modem probably due to more complaints from other customers. That worked. From that moment not one single error did appear. It remains strange that playing music with Stylus and Tidal was flawless but playing music from Tidal with Roon caused a lot of errors. I guess I will never know. I am glad it is solved (hopefully). 

If you're in the US, could you share what modem you use?

1 hour ago, bos3812 said:

Hi all,

Very interesting... was this with AT&T by chance?

Thx!

I live in the Netherlands and my ISP is Ziggo. They provide their customers with a modem built by Arris international from the United States and Compal Electronics from Taiwan. These modems use an Intel Puma 6 chip which have caused a number of problems like latency of data transfer. Ziggo partly fixed the problems with this chip with new software but never to 100%. I can imagine that latency can cause the problems I had but this is a guess because I don't know and probably never will know what caused these problems. Like I said, Euphony Stylus worked flawless so it has to be a combination of factors. I have read somewhere, meaby in this thread, that Roon approaches Tidal in another way then Euphony does. I did send Roon a message about my findings. If you have the same problems like me I wish you luck. It's not easy to get rid of it. I think I was lucky.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:34 AM, AudioDoctor said:

Roon preloads the next song, even when using HQPlayer, the only delay is at the very beginning. It plays gapless.

Stylus downloads one song entirely, then plays it, then stops to download the next song, etc...

I’m going to suggest you do your own check as that does not agree with observed behavior when I disconnect the ethernet cable during play. Stylus will always play the next song. When I use Roon with HQPlayer it stops after current song if Ethernet is disconnected. I’m also wondering now if Roon is buffering current song to RAM or caching to disk. 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

I’m going to suggest you do your own check as that does not agree with observed behavior when I disconnect the ethernet cable during play. Stylus will always play the next song. When I use Roon with HQPlayer it stops after current song if Ethernet is disconnected. I’m also wondering now if Roon is buffering current song to RAM or caching to disk. 

I can see Roon doing that in real time on my computer by watching the network in Ksysguard. I don't bother disconnecting cables.

No electron left behind.

So I did an experiment, I started a Cat Power album in Roon, and took a couple screenshots.

The first one is the album, you can see how long the first and second songs are compared to the third song.

IMG_5587.jpg

Second picture is the network history after initiating playback and Roon downloading songs 1 and 2

2songs.png

Third picture is after song 1 finished and it downloaded song 3

1song.png

Roon is downloading the entire song, or two and is staying one song ahead until the end of the album. After the song is finished there is essentially no network activity.

No electron left behind.