IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

15 hours ago, flkin said:

Look forward to your opinion about improvements in sound with a good network card and the latest version of Euphony playback, especially if offline mode is selected.

I am finding that this latest Jan version is offering a better sound even without offline mode selected. Having used HQP over Stylus previously, for this latest Euphony version I am considering moving to Stylus for all playback the sound being so good.

Yes the update has been very good I can only recommend it to everyone!

The music became high resolution and fluid ......

Spending this weekend on working on my server. I decided to try Euphony for 30 days and the first one hour is challenging to say the least. The first problem was I guess on my count. I did the setup and when trying to import my Roon DB, Roon core hung up. I realized the issue was probably because my backup was done from a newer build than the one shipping with Stylus. No way to recover - go back and setup a new USB. Setup and this time I make sure to update my Roon build from the remote. Again Roon hangs. Trying now again and this time will not update and just configure Roon from scratch. 

I have no issue when this is an open source system where you need to do configs yourself etc. but when this is a closed system costing a lot of money, these kind of issues irritate me a bit more....

Let's see if I can get this to work. 

UPDATE - not working. New setup. I setup Roon this time without upgrading the build. I am trying to reboot. The OS loads, web client works, but Roon remote cannot find the core. I opened a ticket with Euphony support. 

Has anyone tried to use a really large USB drive to boot Euphony Stylus from? I am trying to boot it from a 6 TB USB drive to be able to add my library to. The drive flashes now for more than 45 minutes, Euphony appears on the network, but it hasn’t loaded yet fully. Are there any restrictions in using USB drives?

On 1/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, Dev said:

I am using a DIY SJ DC3 with a separate 12v rail for the CPU EPS.

I should have written some more details - it boots fine from USB with both HT and Turbo enabled. As soon as I install it on the Optane drive and boot off it, I start seeing this issue.

My previous build was a Xeon E-2278G which Turbos to 5Ghz and the same power supply works fine.

Thinking it could be an Optane issue, I tried different Optane but landed up in the same issue. For experiment I installed Roon Rock on Optane and it works just fine. On a side note, I haven't tried Rock in a while and listening to it this weekend and found to actually sound very very good - better than Euphony in my setup.  

To top this over, Euphony support, for the first time has been very disappointing...after finger pointing and going back and forth, they clearly told me that they have no desire to solve this and closed the ticket...Sigh!

I doubt a DC3 has the amperage for your setup. Do you have a PS with higher amperage to determine whether more current eliminates the issue?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, al2813 said:

Spending this weekend on working on my server. I decided to try Euphony for 30 days and the first one hour is challenging to say the least. The first problem was I guess on my count. I did the setup and when trying to import my Roon DB, Roon core hung up. I realized the issue was probably because my backup was done from a newer build than the one shipping with Stylus. No way to recover - go back and setup a new USB. Setup and this time I make sure to update my Roon build from the remote. Again Roon hangs. Trying now again and this time will not update and just configure Roon from scratch. 

I have no issue when this is an open source system where you need to do configs yourself etc. but when this is a closed system costing a lot of money, these kind of issues irritate me a bit more....

Let's see if I can get this to work. 

UPDATE - not working. New setup. I setup Roon this time without upgrading the build. I am trying to reboot. The OS loads, web client works, but Roon remote cannot find the core. I opened a ticket with Euphony support. 

Good support from Euphony. My USB stick was too small hence the issues. Am now trying with a spare drive on hand. Too big probably and first boot where Euphony does its thing will take some time....

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

I doubt a DC3 has the amperage for your setup. Do you have a PS with higher amperage to determine whether more current eliminates the issue?

Its not a DC3 issue. Its a 10A rail on a dedicated tranny. I have been using it with my previous build which was 8-core Xeon with 2 Threads/core and Turbo to 5.0GHz. The i9-10900k has two more core, though it doesn't mean anything but I didn't think it was an issue. 

2 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

@Dev did you address your issue? 

Yes, I solved it by ditching Euphony altogether 🙄

Long story - I tried a couple of different distro, including Arch linux, Ubuntu, Fedora and finally Roon Rock and they all worked fine. Both Rock and Arch sounded a lot better than Euphony. The sound is lot more relaxed compared to Euphony. With Euphony I always thought it has more fuller sound but now that I have compared with others, I think Euphony has more bloated bass. With Arch/Rock, the bass is fast, musical and tight. And all these without tweaking anything, no core assignment or even running ramroot.

The system runs at least 8-10deg cooler. When idling and with Euphony it used to hoover in 40-45deg. With arch, its 30-34deg. When running Roon and Euphony it hovers 45-50deg, with arch is never exceeds 39deg (see below). Phenomenal differences in core temps. When you run the system cooler, the SQ will be automatically better and this is exactly what I experienced as well.  

[root@archSrv ~]# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +41.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +36.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:        +36.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:        +37.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:        +36.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 4:        +35.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 5:        +37.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 6:        +37.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 7:        +38.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 8:        +37.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 9:        +36.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

nvme-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +31.9°C  (low  = -20.1°C, high = +74.8°C)
                       (crit = +79.8°C)

I filed a ticket with Euphony to get a resolution. All they did was to provide couple of random suggestions which did not make any sense related to the issue I was facing. They would not actually debug anything, neither they will allow me to do anything. Finally they abruptly closed the ticket saying they will not fix (or not interested in) anything. I have nothing against Euphony but this is not good.

Given my experience, I have reservations against suggesting Euphony with the latest Intel/AMD processors and chipset. They are still running an ancient old 4.18 kernel.

Anyway, I started tweaking things little by little and it's sounding even better. I am so glad that I experimented. My current thinking it I will move forward with my own custom builds, taking arch linux as a baseline, as it gives me ample freedom to tweak and debug whatever is needed - I can reconfigure/recompile/patch/tweak almost anything, even at the source code level which I am somewhat familiar as well. If Euphony is ever serious in overhauling their system, I might rethink but till then I am on my own...😄

I imported over 400 albums into the library and about one third is split into two albums: track 1 into one and the rest of the tracks into a second album with identical covers. Annoying! Has anyone observed the same? Are there solutions to the problem? 
All my albums are fine either in Roon or Audirvana.

708DF94F-311B-4440-9B24-F4ACB1988E6A.jpeg

10 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

You can use an Intel optane 32gb. Boots on few seconds

The only thing I had in hand is a 2TB usb drive. Took time to boot the first time but now works well. I would recommend Euphony to change the language in their documentation. 16GB is the minimum but the moment you add Roon it is clearly not sufficient. 

In the AL-Stylus shoot out thread the nuances were there but in my case they are not. Compared to my AL setup, that is not very well tweaked - I only use Ramroot which already improves things quite a bit, Stylus delivers a big improvement in SQ. Bigger stage, more organic sound. Using Roon the difference is there, but using Stylus player - wow this is a killer. I adore the Roon interface, but I am not sure if I will renew my subscription. 

My current server is not NUC based. It has a Jetway nf9m N2930 motherboard. The system drive is a Kingston 240gb mSATA SSD. I am planning to use it for the permanent Euphony system drive when I buy the license (which looks right now a real possibility). I don't think I can use Optan in this setup? 

48 minutes ago, rico25 said:

I ran into a split problem but it was when the files were in different folders (eg CD1, CD2).

Maybe you can open a ticket for Euphony to watch 🙂

The tracks of an individual album are perfectly well contained in one single folder. I'll contact Euphony. It's annoying!

14 minutes ago, al2813 said:

The only thing I had in hand is a 2TB usb drive. Took time to boot the first time but now works well. I would recommend Euphony to change the language in their documentation. 16GB is the minimum but the moment you add Roon it is clearly not sufficient. 

In the AL-Stylus shoot out thread the nuances were there but in my case they are not. Compared to my AL setup, that is not very well tweaked - I only use Ramroot which already improves things quite a bit, Stylus delivers a big improvement in SQ. Bigger stage, more organic sound. Using Roon the difference is there, but using Stylus player - wow this is a killer. I adore the Roon interface, but I am not sure if I will renew my subscription. 

My current server is not NUC based. It has a Jetway nf9m N2930 motherboard. The system drive is a Kingston 240gb mSATA SSD. I am planning to use it for the permanent Euphony system drive when I buy the license (which looks right now a real possibility). I don't think I can use Optan in this setup? 

I booted mine yesterday from a 6 TB drive. First boot took more than an hour, second boot was quick in about 5 mins.

How do you add Roon?

2 minutes ago, biosailor said:

I booted mine yesterday from a 6 TB drive. First boot took more than an hour, second boot was quick in about 5 mins.

How do you add Roon?

I assume you have a Roon subscription? If yes then you just need to select Roon as the Audio player. 

18 minutes ago, al2813 said:

Why not use Optane for Euphony OS. Then have your music on separate drive. You’ll get better SQ by having your music on a NAS or Separate PC.