IGNORED

USB audio transmission isn’t bit true

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

in re-reading this article, IFI says EXACTLY what i was saying...that i am not convinced that errors will only cause a dropout, that i can understand that if an entire packet was dropped, you may hear a click or drop... but not if occasional bits....that i suspect distortion.....here they suggest exactly as i guessed....

==

Isochronous transfer mode uses error-checking but includes no re-transmission in case of Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) errors. Electrical noise on USB signals causes CRC errors and thus data loss, as does poor signal integrity.   In mild cases, this leads to audio signal distortions. In the worst cases, clicks and dropouts.

===

....i suppose IFI doesn't know what they are talking about also....

They also say that noise causes errors and data loss...something else i said but that was rejected....and i deduced both of these FACTS by logical reasoning...never read it before, and it went against everything that most people here claimed....whatever...i am done with this thread....

when you get errors, and you will (more if noise, or interrupts, buffer settings, many things can affect) and You will either have distortion, interpolation (possibly incorrect), or dropouts if too many errors (and entire packet is dropped).  It is very feasible that you will have distortion (or unnatural music) and not even know it....but people can believe whatever they want...i know differently....finally done with this topic...CLOSED.

image.png.8816ae03f8492044f520c4e99c3cf469.png

none of these facts suggest you can't have a good usb solution.  I do believe one can have a stable optimized USB solution, and that some dacs will do a better job than others....

5 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

in re-reading this article, IFI says EXACTLY what i was saying...that i am not convinced that errors will only cause a dropout, that i can understand that if an entire packet was dropped, you may hear a click or drop... but not if occasional bits....that i suspect distortion.....here they suggest exactly as i guessed....

==

Isochronous transfer mode uses error-checking but includes no re-transmission in case of Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) errors. Electrical noise on USB signals causes CRC errors and thus data loss, as does poor signal integrity.   In mild cases, this leads to audio signal distortions. In the worst cases, clicks and dropouts.

===

....i suppose IFI doesn't know what they are talking about also....

They also say that noise causes errors and data loss...something else i said but that was rejected....and i deduced both of these FACTS by logical reasoning...never read it before, and it went against everything that most people here claimed....whatever...i am done with this thread....

when you get errors, and you will (more if noise, or interrupts, buffer settings, many things can affect) and You will either have distortion, interpolation (possibly incorrect), or dropouts if too many errors (and entire packet is dropped).  It is very feasible that you will have distortion (or unnatural music) and not even know it....but people can believe whatever they want...i know differently....finally done with this topic...CLOSED.

image.png.8816ae03f8492044f520c4e99c3cf469.png

none of these facts suggest you can't have a good usb solution.  I do believe one can have a stable optimized USB solution, and that some dacs will do a better job than others....

56 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Dennis, while you were above suggesting the Corning cable in response to someone looking for Thunderbolt galvanic isolation, the Corning optical cables include copper wires and do not provide any galvanic isolation.

Same goes for the Corning optical USB cable.

Thanks. I'd not realized that until you pointed it out.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

Electrical noise on USB signals causes CRC errors and thus data loss...

The text above is incorrect. There is always some electrical noise on the USB bus. If that text were accurate, you would get nothing but CRC errors and USB audio would never work. No, the text should read:

Electrical noise on USB signals can cause CRC errors which would result in data loss.

You can’t take what is written as an absolute at face value. You need to look logically at what was written to come to the right conclusions about what was intended to be conveyed. 

Even the noisiest USB bus computers aren’t generating many CRC errors. If they were all transfers would be dramatically slowed down. 

10 hours ago, sandyk said:

Especially those that use Class D amplifiers that are incapable of highlighting the obvious differences  due to the horrendous amount of RF/EMI that they inject back into the A.C. mains sewer  and ALSO radiate from their inductors to obliterate reception of nearby A.M. radios ? :P

Well, there's your problem. Simply fixed - stop listening to your music via your AM radio.

But it should be easy enough to prove your theory.

1. Find a system with Class D amps where the effect is obvious.

2. Record the output of the preamp with the power amps turned off.

3. Repeat with the power amps turned on.

4. Post the resulting files.

Oh, wait...

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Bit perfect simply means that the digital cod (1 and 0) haven’t been altered or changed, not necessary lost. Bits can be transferred correctly whereas it’s only is read a transmitted as ones and zeros (digital cod).

Digital transmission is superior to analogue, at least as long as it is kept in its digital form. The reason: it’s more resistant to noise and other things that can affect the signal. As the reading value only can be one of two values (one or zero) the digital signal has to be very serially affected before a value that use to be 1 got altered so much that it will be read as a 0 or got missing.  

So as long as the signal only has to be read as digital cods and it is transmitted over short distance the change for flipping or missing bits is very small in most environments. The problem is that we can’t really listen directly to digital, we need to make it an analogue signal first for the speakers to work.

In a DAC there is a device that convert digital values to analogue. This devise doesn’t read everything in only to two values (one or zero) like then the signal was digital. It. This is there the problem that has been caused before upstream will be revealed, because to get a resolution of 16 bit the digital to analogue converter need to be able to “sort out” 65 536 different values and the smallest bit (LSB) is only 0,038 mV. As you can see to get the digital cod correct is easy while getting the converted analogue signal correct is much harder.   

26 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Well, there's your problem. Simply fixed - stop listening to your music via your AM radio. 

But it should be easy enough to prove your theory.

1. Find a system with Class D amps where the effect is obvious.

2. Record the output of the preamp with the power amps turned off.

3. Repeat with the power amps turned on.

4. Post the resulting files.

Oh, wait...

It's more easily fixed. I will simply ignore replies and demands from cranky old K1W1 s .

DAeBdNzXGP-6.bmp

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

12 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I wonder why some designers are moving to bulk-pet over isosynchronous for DSD to shorten the audio latency.

https://www.itf.co.jp/prod/audio_solution/bulk-pet/bulk-pet-en

It is defined to using Isochronous Transfer to transmit the audio data in USB Audio Class.
Audio data is transmitted in a constant period in Isochronous Transfer.
On the other hand, huge proccessing loading also appears in a constant period on host CPU and device CPU.
This huge processing loading causes the sound quality slight changes.

Bulk Pet is the technology that transmitting the audio data in Bulk Transfer.
In Bulk Transfer, it’s able to control the transmission data volume and transmission frequency.

That's all complete nonsense.

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

It's more easily fixed. I will simply ignore replies and demands from cranky old K1W1 s .

DAeBdNzXGP-6.bmp

For the benefit of those of us from other parts of the world, what is the difference between cranky old K1W1s and cranky old Aussies like yourself?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

For the benefit of those of us from other parts of the world, what is the difference between cranky old K1W1s and cranky old Aussies like yourself?

No difference to cranky old Canadians like yourself !

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

New Zealanders seem more reserved and much friendlier

Have you ever watched a Kiwi Rugby team at the start of a match ?  Aborigines are like pussy cats compared with fierce and menacing Kiwis.

Besides which, a sizable proportion of the N.Z . population has moved to Bondi !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

54 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Canadians are like Americans but civilized

When will you guys get it that the USA is only a part of America, NOT America ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Canadians just think they are better than Americans.  - Diecaster

They quite possibly are judging by your choice of leader ! :D