IGNORED

USB audio transmission isn’t bit true

8 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

That is the definition of someone who's not interested in what anyone else says that might in any way conflict with what you already thought when you started. This is deeply anti-social behavior, the web-forum equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalala," or shouting over people.

That can also be said of many threads where the OP reserves the right to ask Admin to remove posts that are critical of, or disagree with the views expressed by the thread starter. A few members rigorously enforce this provision.

This applies to both Objective and Subjective members.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That can also be said of many threads where the OP reserves the right to ask Admin to remove posts that are critical of, or disagree with the views expressed by the thread starter. A few members rigorously enforce this provision.

This applies to both Objective and Subjective members.

That may be true; it's also irrelevant unless those members are having posts removed and repeatedly insisting that they welcome disagreement.

21 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

it's also irrelevant unless those members are having posts removed and repeatedly insisting that they welcome disagreement.

You can have dissenting views removed on request . Period !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 minutes ago, Arpiben said:

USB is isochronous ( single clock/timing)

I'd make "constant rate" of it. And literally in our USB audio situation "constant rate per same amount of data (sent)".

What about an isochronous error rate ? (quest for BaM).

This exists in practice ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

5 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

interesting read here...albeit dated 2012 (smile).

To qualify as an asynchronous DAC, ... the designer would throw away the source clock and rely only on the DAC’S internal clock. There are scarce few of these around.  scarce in 2012, how about now?  do all dacs "throw away source clock" and use dac's clock?

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/myth-asynchronous-dac/

I also read, but don't know if true or not, the question of if host(computer) transmittting in isochronus mode, it doesn't matter if dac is asynchronous or not....

Perhaps the driver would indicate if you use the DAC driver vs an os supplied driver?

You might be almost on the verge of nearly possibly maybe getting somewhere.  That part where you say don't know. 

Yes, asynch USB's main purpose and advantage was to completely divorce the sample rate clock from the USB input. The clock on the DAC chips of USB DACs is a free running crystal which is the best, lowest jitter way to time out samples.  The rest of the system adapts to keep a small buffer at the right level so this is possible.  This is no longer rare at all, but pretty much the norm.   Combine this fine clocking situation with USB rarely ever getting single bit error and you have a nice solution for digital audio sourced from a computer or other digital devices. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hey Beer, it is all about the most processor cores at the lowest speed.

Beer02.thumb.png.b2ebf599c76e99d8b7e630d63090520e.png

See ? no error in 7 days of time. This is the lowest processor core count I could find in the house, but I bet you: double the cores and the error rate even gets negative. When I half the processor speed (770MHz now) I get a negative error rate as well.

These negative errors are buffered so they can be consumed when an error might occur. It is all about balance.

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Hey Beer, it is all about the most processor cores at the lowest speed.

Beer02.thumb.png.b2ebf599c76e99d8b7e630d63090520e.png

See ? no error in 7 days of time. This is the lowest processor core count I could find in the house, but I bet you: double the cores and the error rate even gets negative. When I half the processor speed (770MHz now) I get a negative error rate as well.

These negative errors are buffered so they can be consumed when an error might occur. It is all about balance.

don't doubt it in a highly optimized system...have said so many times already in this thread, maybe i should repeat the summary again (smile).

take a worst case scenario, what about in a non-dedicated slow multi-function pc, doing software upsampling, with noise and a crappy usb cable like the one MANSR used for his test, and an old cheap dac (lol).

Question is, can noise cause crc errors and can DSD processing and timing complicate matters more?

Since you can run tests, try doing a test doing software upsampling and injecting noise and see if you can introduce errors....

Most of the people in the OMG MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT THREAD are doing upsampling and reporting clear benefits going over enet.  Are they full of crap, or possibly something else is making a difference with streaming vs usb?

6 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Useless test. Stab your 4 tires and see how far you come and provide a report of how good or bad your Mustang now is.

Mansr didn't find the test useless or he wouldn't have done it....i don't find it useless either.

I like to take things to extremes which make things more clear.

If you have a TERRIBLE environment and you have notable problems, but don't see errors in an optimal environment, in all likelihood, there are many environments in between the two, where subtle differences may exist.

If a LOT of noise clearly causes CRC errors, causing dropouts and buzzing, and no noise causes no crc errors, it is likely some noise will cause distortion...which is also what IFI stated.

I am confident that you have a high power computer have optimized for noise and have a very nice environment for your testing...that is NO DOUBT TO ME, and in my summary, i have stated and will state again, that I do believe one can create a solid USB solution.

8 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

can DSD processing and timing complicate matters more?

No.

USB does not know anything about what data is flowing over it. Let alone what kind of audio "protocol" it is. The driver has to support it, though (unless DoP).

One could argue that the current distribution will be different because of the contents of the data at the detailed level - the bit. So thinking about it, DSD could imply a more smooth distribution.

Does it make that less prone to error ? no. USB complies to standards and those standards must be met (no flat tires allowed). When all that is fine, no errors occur. But it is perfectly allowed to have some. And no, no windows go out. Only when you interpret mansr's text about that wrongly. When one packet is invalidated (or goes through but with plain wrong sample data) you may hear one small scratch. This is because a packet contains audio data of a few ms only (I did not do the math).

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Mansr didn't find the test useless or he wouldn't have done it.

It is/was useless for those who interpret it with bias (you). For example, for me it is not useless at all. It determines what can be done with USB before it breaks (for audio). So if you want to learn from it, take the good parts with the proper merit (and context).

Two examples:

The Clairixa USB cable we make, was tested with 7 meters and is still without error. It was made to do that by applying the best USB specs as I could do.

The Lush USB cable we make, is not guaranteed beyond 3 meters and I actually don't like to sell even the 3 meters (ask @Teresa who owns (or owned) one of the two I ever put out). It deliberately voids the USB spec and thus this comes from it. Problem ? no, because it is anticipated.

We can "tweak" all in all direction as long as it does what it was made for. You (and everybody) may disagree with that.

I now see you think: oh, so that Lush better not be used in that hostile environment ? well, unrelated again because it isn't about noise. It is about impedance and reflections and more voodoo. Noise too, but no noise you envision.

Coil up your cables and tell me where the noise suddenly comes from (nowhere, but still they stop working well).

XXHighEnd (developer)

7 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

It is/was useless for those who interpret it with bias (you). For example, for me it is not useless at all. It determines what can be done with USB before it breaks (for audio). So if you want to learn from it, take the good parts with the proper merit (and context).

Two examples:

The Clairixa USB cable we make, was tested with 7 meters and is still without error. It was made to do that by applying the best USB specs as I could do.

The Lush USB cable we make, is not guaranteed beyond 3 meters and I actually don't like to sell even the 3 meters (ask @Teresa who owns (or owned) one of the two I ever put out). It deliberately voids the USB spec and thus this comes from it. Problem ? no, because it is anticipated.

We can "tweak" all in all direction as long as it does what it was made for. You (and everybody) may disagree with that.

I now see you think: oh, so that Lush better not be used in that hostile environment ? well, unrelated again because it isn't about noise. It is about impedance and reflections and more voodoo. Noise too, but no noise you envision.

Coil up your cables and tell me where the noise suddenly comes from (nowhere, but still they stop working well).

archimago found no errors with a $10 belkin cable and even with 50' extension cable....again, i would like to see if crc errors can be increased by injecting noise on system doing quad dsd processing.

23 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

try doing a test doing software upsampling

I may not help you, but I constantly run at the highest speed through USB (you saw 352.8 there but this is only half of the applied frequency which thus is 705.6) and I can promise (and guarantee) you that this is again unrelated to the possible error rate (once the driver allows for this high speed). USB errors spring from other anomalies like capacitance build-up.

I just told about isochronous error rate. You thought I was funny. But I was serious;

I can almost set my clock on USB errors once such a thing is in order. Like once per 4 minutes a burst of 100 errors (etc. etc.). Or once per 10 seconds one only.

Now dig in your memory how often you have seen people report something like "regularly" or "once per minute or so", etc. In the end this is all grounding related with no recipe to to solve it. One thing: it can be solved in the device at the manufacturer once you see it coincidentally happening. This time ask @Superdad.

This is not related to noise at all. "Bad situation", is.

XXHighEnd (developer)

6 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

again, i would like to see if crc errors can be increased by injecting noise

Stab your tires and go around the block. So if that is your fun.

The answer is Yes.

Now what ?

Nobody likes to drive with punctures.

XXHighEnd (developer)