IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

1 hour ago, brother love said:

The Qobuz Nuvola Apps Runtime shows Chromium as the application during Google Chrome Qobuz hi res selected playback. So I assume pulseaudio is being used with 44.1k sampling max ?

Any help to resolve this can be sent by PM if this needs to be taken offline

Will check later today.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, goon525 said:

I don’t think ‘We can only provide what the record companies give us’ is an adequate answer - it’s a real USP for Qobuz, who should insist on the provision contractually.

I doubt Qobuz has any leverage when signing a contract. They are a small player. 

If material comes from a distributor and not a label (typical), they really can only provide what they are given-as nothing else is available. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, goon525 said:

One of the biggest Qobuz ‘plusses’ against its competition has been the access to sleeve notes, booklets etc. This is particularly valuable for those of us who listen primarily to classical. But recently there has been a significant falling off in its provision. Two examples, both from labels which have hitherto always provided the booklets, at least for new releases:- Benjamin Grosvenor’s Chopin Piano Concertos on Decca, and Vikingur Olafsson’s new Debussy and Rameau disc on DG (I should acknowledge that this latter is available to stream in 192/24 - no complaints about that!).

I don’t think ‘We can only provide what the record companies give us’ is an adequate answer - it’s a real USP for Qobuz, who should insist on the provision contractually.

You need to tell the labels to provide this to Qobuz. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, goon525 said:

No, that’s hardly my job. What I was pointing out was that their provision gives Qobuz a marketing advantage, and they should be securing continuation. 

Not giving out jobs but rather suggesting how you might get what you want. Feel free to berate Qobuz and hope it works though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 hours ago, brother love said:

The Qobuz Nuvola Apps Runtime shows Chromium as the application during Google Chrome Qobuz hi res selected playback. So I assume pulseaudio is being used with 44.1k sampling max ?

Any help to resolve this can be sent by PM if this needs to be taken offline

Looks like you're correct. With up to 24/192 resolution selected in settings, the light on my iFi micro-iDSD shows green whether a 24/96 resolution recording is playing (correct for 44.1 through 96kHz resolution) or 24/192 (incorrect, should be yellow).

Edit: Well now this is interesting. Same (green light playing 24/192 when it should be yellow) with officially supported Windows Qobuz app on my desktop. And I checked the DAC with 24/192 from another software player, and got the correct yellow light.

Further edit: re Windows, never mind. Was an error in Windows sound device configuration (latest Windows "upgrade" reset max resolution to 48kHz). Works correctly now.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:26 PM, KenG said:

@dmackta, will there be any coming enhancements to the Qobuz Android app? I thought it was slow and buggy on my older DAP (Fiio X7 Mk 2) running Android 5.1 but when I recently upgraded to a much faster DAP (Hiby R5) with a recent version of Android (8.1), Qobuz is just as slow and buggy.  I've heard for the longest time that it would be improved but it has not happend.

It's really unfortunate because the iPhone IOS app and the Mac Desktop app work fantastic. I'm really happy with those and the quality of the service in general - so much so that I committed to a year subscription....but man, can you get developers to fix the Android Qobuz app. 

I'd be happy to DM you with any specific feedback or issues I'm experiencing with Qobuz Android.

I have the same issues. On my iPad, iPhone or Windows 10 laptop Qobuz works fine, but not with my FiiO M11 or M7. It is really bad. You start Qobuz and it will just no come up. You try to download an album and a simple album in 44.1 16 bit takes half an hour plus it always stops at the very last track, and although it has downloaded the last track it will just not end. So you have to kill the unresponsive Qobuz app and wait again ages until it will restart at the FiiO M11.  I have just yesterday installed the latest FiiO M11 firmware 1.0.9 and it makes no difference. @David Craff an chance Qobuz will work on this?

12 hours ago, Jud said:

Looks like you're correct. With up to 24/192 resolution selected in settings, the light on my iFi micro-iDSD shows green whether a 24/96 resolution recording is playing (correct for 44.1 through 96kHz resolution) or 24/192 (incorrect, should be yellow).

Edit: Well now this is interesting. Same (green light playing 24/192 when it should be yellow) with officially supported Windows Qobuz app on my desktop. And I checked the DAC with 24/192 from another software player, and got the correct yellow light.

Thank you Jud for testing. Can you provide some clarification re: iFi micro iDSD indication light? If I understand your findings correctly:

If you play a 44.1kHz file: lights up green

If you play a 96kHz file it lights up green

If you play a 192kHz file it lights up green (should be yellow if locked-in properly)

Since you indicated that Qobuz files light up green, then how do you know it's not playing 44.1kHz?

I ask this since when I use the Nuvola apps Runtime, my DAC reads-out 44.1kHz for hi-res albums even though 24/192 max listening quality is selected.

On 3/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, coleb13 said:

Is Qobuz interested in receiving reports of metadata errors? What is the best way for us to report these?

Good question. Long ago, one of the qobuz boys said "yes", and to report them here. But that's just too inefficient a process - there are far too many to be processed via this forum. I reported a couple to the support desk, but was treated like a child and so have given up.

If qobuz set up some reporting mechanism for enthusiasts such as us, I could imagine we could provide a worthwhile crowd service to Qobuz.

6 minutes ago, Mark Dirac said:

Good question. Long ago, one of the qobuz boys said "yes", and to report them here. But that's just too inefficient a process - there are far too many to be processed via this forum. I reported a couple to the support desk, but was treated like a child and so have given up.

If qobuz set up some reporting mechanism for enthusiasts such as us, I could imagine we could provide a worthwhile crowd service to Qobuz.

My guess is that reporting metadata errors to the people responsible for the errors is most efficient. Thus, letting the record label know is best. 

10 hours ago, brother love said:

Thank you Jud for testing. Can you provide some clarification re: iFi micro iDSD indication light? If I understand your findings correctly:

If you play a 44.1kHz file: lights up green

If you play a 96kHz file it lights up green

If you play a 192kHz file it lights up green (should be yellow if locked-in properly)

Since you indicated that Qobuz files light up green, then how do you know it's not playing 44.1kHz?

I ask this since when I use the Nuvola apps Runtime, my DAC reads-out 44.1kHz for hi-res albums even though 24/192 max listening quality is selected.

Howdy - you quoted before I edited. I looked at my Windows settings and an OS update had reset max resolution to 32/48. When I went into Windows' sound settings and set max resolution back to 32/192, then I got the yellow light on my DAC when playing Qobuz 24/192 files just as I should.

But with Ubuntu and Manjaro, using Qobuz with Nuvola Apps, the light remains green regardless, indicating as you say that Qobuz is very likely producing 44.1kHz resolution on those OSes.

My Linux knowledge isn't much, but I'm wondering if there's not an OS config file or files that can be changed to resolve this.

Thanks Jud. Much appreciated. I really like the Nuvola apps Runtime that you recommended in an earlier post. Qobuz sounds great @ 16/ 44.1 kKz, but I want to pursue hi res options if possible.Qobuz Hi res sounds great on my laptop Win10 if I connect it to the main system, but Linux Ubuntu is preferred OS on my music server (have dual booted before, but not interested in that again).

My Linux knowledge is limited. I have tried a couple things so far, but no luck yet. Most revolve around this theme:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/improving-linux-audio-updated/134511

The ALSA/ PulseAudio stuff is a head scratcher. Ran suggested a couple things to try.  If I have any success, I will be sure to let you know.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:34 PM, Richter Di said:

I have the same issues. On my iPad, iPhone or Windows 10 laptop Qobuz works fine, but not with my FiiO M11 or M7. It is really bad. You start Qobuz and it will just no come up. You try to download an album and a simple album in 44.1 16 bit takes half an hour plus it always stops at the very last track, and although it has downloaded the last track it will just not end. So you have to kill the unresponsive Qobuz app and wait again ages until it will restart at the FiiO M11.  I have just yesterday installed the latest FiiO M11 firmware 1.0.9 and it makes no difference. @David Craff an chance Qobuz will work on this?

Hi,

Yes the mobile team will work on it soon.

Regards

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

On 3/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, Jeff_N said:

Can I ask a really dumb question about download album purchases?

When I buy an album in Qobuz, I click the green Download My Music button, then Qobuz generates a list of the tracks and the cover art.

I want to be able to download the album to my PC, then transfer it to my Aurender and phone. I don't want to mess around with the Qobuz player, that thing is confusing as hell. I just want to treat the files like any other album I have downloaded on my PC.

My problem is, there doesn't seem to be a way to download the whole album at once. Every damn time I end up downloading each individual track, then I assemble them all into a folder, it's driving me nuts. There's an option to "Download all the audio files in a Tar folder," which seems to be some sort of zip utility. Is that the only way to download the whole record, install some sort of Tar zip software?

I did a search here and in Google but didn't find anything dealing with this exact problem. The Qobuz Help Center search function is friggin' useless too. I'm sure there's something really simple that I've missed, but I can't figure out what it is. Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff

When you download a purchase from the desktop app; file are available in the default directory or another one if you change it.

The files have no DRM and you can use it every where.

Go to the Desktop params by clicling on the avatar picture on top right of the app then go to the download tab. You can find here the download directory and change it.

Regards

On 3/28/2020 at 4:07 PM, brother love said:

After 30 day trial period expired yesterday, I took the plunge & purchased an annual subscription to Qobuz Studio.

I posted in this thread a couple weeks ago & submitted request to Qobuz support, but no luck so far to address this issue:

I am unable to get 24/ 96 sampling from Qobuz Studio (only 16/ 44.1 thru Google Chrome web player or Nuvola Qobuz app to my i7-6700k Linux Ubuntu 18.04 music server). I have tried both Wi-Fi & ethernet hard-wired to no avail. If I connect a Windows 10 laptop w/ Qobuz app, I can play 24/96 using exclusive mode.

Any suggestions/ recommendations?  I appreciate the help.

Hi,

For the Web Player the quality is set by the Web Browser and the OS. It's not the best way to liste in 24bit because the Qobuz Player have no control to force que quality send to the DAC.

I don't know your Nuvola Qobuz app.

Wifi or direct Internet connexion has no change for the quality except for the necessary throughput.

The best way is the desktop application but unfortunately we do not have a linux release yet.

Regards

46 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

It is true that suppliers are giving us fewer and fewer booklets. We fight with them every day to get them.

Do not hesitate to contact us for a particular case, we will do our best.

Regards

Thank you, David, for a speedy and honest response.

43 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

For the Web Player the quality is set by the Web Browser and the OS. It's not the best way to liste in 24bit because the Qobuz Player have no control to force que quality send to the DAC.

I don't know your Nuvola Qobuz app.

Wifi or direct Internet connexion has no change for the quality except for the necessary throughput.

The best way is the desktop application but unfortunately we do not have a linux release yet.

Regards

As you say this is due to the Web browser and (mostly) the OS. In my spare time(!) I'll try to see what can be done with Linux to allow higher resolutions, unless a Linux aficionado would like to post here first.

23 hours ago, David Craff said:

Hi Jeff

When you download a purchase from the desktop app; file are available in the default directory or another one if you change it.

The files have no DRM and you can use it every where.

Go to the Desktop params by clicling on the avatar picture on top right of the app then go to the download tab. You can find here the download directory and change it.

Regards

Thanks Dave. I actually finally figured it out myself, but then I couldn't figure out how to edit my original post. 😐