IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

3 hours ago, mav52 said:

There must be some hungry people on here, side tracked once again. ?

then let's get back to colonial vestiges in the Americas (while I finish my pot stickers)...

there are 16 dialects of French spoken in Louisiana

mais oui, sixteen !!

9 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I was actually referring to the audio system's performance which might have been fine for movies but for music was disappointing.  Lots of spread, immersion and weight but little focus or palpability.   It must be added that my only visit was several years ago and who knows what might have been changed since then. 

I get that Kal, but you have to admit that the box fan next to the seating area is telling!

George

5 hours ago, elcorso said:

But I do not finish thanking Spain for the Paella.
Family and friends say that mine is the best, but they know that if they do not say that I will not invite them again ?

Roch

Paella, YUM! I haven't made that for years. But I use to make a good one!

George

21 hours ago, sandyk said:

All it shows is that George is human, and like everybody else (except a few like Jud who always dots the " i " and crosses the "t" due to his background ) sometimes makes an occasional monumental f'up when in too much of a hurry.:D

Guilty as charged! 

George

After buying the ProAc D30Rs, I moved the Thiels into living room for home theatre duty. Before I sold the Linnenbergs I used them briefly in home theatre duty too. This combination is the best TV audio I’ve ever had, but after selling the Linnenbergs I’m stuck with the cheap NAD which is acceptable but the loss of audio immersion is huge.

Home theatre is obviously not nearly as demanding as stereo music, but you still want that power dynamic capability, resolution, and ability to present dimentionality that’s important to immersion. The typical consumer grade class D junk that people use in the form of sound bars and receivers fail at these areas. People who value the home theatre experience should consider using a real amp and real speakers to improve their experience.

9 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I get that Kal, but you have to admit that the box fan next to the seating area is telling!

Indeed.  If I remember correctly, it was also necessary to open a vent door behind it in the event of long listening/viewing sessions.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

20 hours ago, jabbr said:

Are you sure the KORG doesn't encapsulate DSD as DOP to be sent over Coax (SPDIF)?

Yes, I'm sure. The MR1 outputs USB (but doesn't play out of USB. It only uses it to transfer the files recorded on it's built-in 1.5" 20 Meg mechanical HDD! (if I could find a SS drive that would fit. I'd replace the HDD. Already had to replace the Li-Ion battery - but not with the one Korg sells. They want more than US$100 for it and the one I replaced it with came off of E0bay and cost me about US$15!) The only way the MR1 "plays" anything is through either the headphone output or the line output (both 3.5mm phone jacks). The MR2000, being a bigger machine, primarily designed for rack mounting does have a coax SPDIF output as AudioDoctor correctly points out. But only for LPCM not for any of the DSD formats. 

George

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

then let's get back to colonial vestiges in the Americas (while I finish my pot stickers)...

there are 16 dialects of French spoken in Louisiana

mais oui, sixteen !!

How many dialects of English?  And I don't think French or English gets to claim variants of Creole.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Speaking of home theater immersion.  I'd turned everything off due to lightning Sunday afternoon.  Later watching Westworld I just flicked on the center speaker.  Really thought "you know maybe one channel is enough."  I didn't feel too much was missing.  Then I started it over, and turned on the other 4 channels and sub.  Now you feel "in the picture".  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

22 minutes ago, esldude said:

Speaking of home theater immersion.  I'd turned everything off due to lightning Sunday afternoon.  Later watching Westworld I just flicked on the center speaker.  Really thought "you know maybe one channel is enough."  I didn't feel too much was missing.  Then I started it over, and turned on the other 4 channels and sub.  Now you feel "in the picture".  

In most surround mixes of film/TV audio, the centre channel carries dialogue and little else. Front left/right have mainly music and sound effects along with some dialogue (mostly by off-screen characters). Surround channels are used for ambience and occasional positioning of effects. The three front channels provide probably 80-90% of the experience.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

In most surround mixes of film/TV audio, the centre channel carries dialogue and little else. Front left/right have mainly music and sound effects along with some dialogue (mostly by off-screen characters). Surround channels are used for ambience and occasional positioning of effects. The three front channels provide probably 80-90% of the experience.

Well in the episode of Westworld two weeks ago, the center had enough of the gunfire, rumble and explosions bleeding into the center, you weren't listening to voices only.  Foley effects also were enough in evidence it didn't hamper viewing the episode.  

I'll have to sign off for a bit now as again there is plenty of lightning. Later.

43 minutes ago, esldude said:

How many dialects of English?  And I don't think French or English gets to claim variants of Creole.  

several, including "Yat-speak" (Irish)

Creole has different meanings in NoLa... and today, one of those meanings has about died out

2 hours ago, esldude said:

Well in the episode of Westworld two weeks ago, the center had enough of the gunfire, rumble and explosions bleeding into the center, you weren't listening to voices only.  Foley effects also were enough in evidence it didn't hamper viewing the episode.  

I'll have to sign off for a bit now as again there is plenty of lightning. Later.

Some of the USA Late Night shows (SNL for example) have extremely well recorded musical segments in 5.1 surround that still sound very good even when down converted to 2 channels.

If you have access to UseNet you can often find uploaded  actual .ts streams of some of these shows and performances in 1080i as well as 720.

They look and sound WAY better than anything on YouTube !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 6/13/2018 at 3:01 AM, beerandmusic said:

i could have sworn i remember you writing before about SQ improvement with usb toys?

I could have sworn I remember you getting your feelings hurt and quitting this forum?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

8 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hmmm what if I told you your brand of beer sucks like a class D amp?

sorry, won't hurt me....i like all brands of beer, and I like some class D amps....seriously, i can't think of anything anyone could say that would offend me personally....even if someone said something offensive, i would just accept the fact that they probably had a rougher life or missing something else in their life where they feel they have a need to take the low road.  I know everything will be sorted out in the end...this life is really meaningless in comparison to the big picture....anyone that would have the practice at dealing with my wife for over 30 years or a childhood where they were skinny, had tons of freckles, couldn't pronounce their r's, and was a total nerd during a time when it wasn't "cool" to be a nerd, would believe me that i have a very thick skin.