IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

I'm ok with any discussion of cables specific to those used on any Paul Hynes product.  I'm also ok with discussions of Paul Hynes Design's products, especially the SR7.  Listening impressions of the SR7 in all it's forms including PHD SR7 and SR7-T are on topic and encouraged.

Off topic would be work progress and delivery updates as there's a separate thread for that specifically.  As long as this cable discussion remains specific to any Paul Hynes product, it's ok to continue.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Exocer said:

What are people using for vibration control? Was the upgrade worthwhile?

Have been eyeing some iso acoustics feet.

I have iso acoustics Orea's under my SR7 (in the old-style "shoe box" enclosure).

It's important to get the right Orea model to match the weight of the component. I got 3 x Orea Graphites.

To get broadly equal weight distribution, I had to carefully position the 3 footers so that the one closest to the transformer wasn't overloaded. These footers have a soft rubbery material top and bottom, which suction-pad stick to flat surfaces, which means that they're awkward (but not impossible) to move once under weight. Also, my SR7 base had lots of screw-heads on it's bottom plate, so these are to be avoided.

To overcome the above, I first placed the SR7 upside down and marked the best positions with a bit of masking tape on the sides of the SR7. Once in place, these footers are very stable - unlike some rivals that slide about or are generally more precarious.

The end result was worth it for the incremental boost in focus and dynamics (for a relatively sane cost).

I first tried the same footers under my DAVE and M-Scaler (both lighter than the SR7) and heard no benefit, so the weight matching is crucial (better to go for the top half of the footer's weight range rather than bottom half).

The SR7 and SJ 12VDC regulator (DIY-EPS) box are on an audio equipment rack meant for turntable support. I have not done any additional vibration isolation, perhaps in the near future.

Everything I have tweeked at the PS end seems to affect the sound. I am currently awaiting some Watttgate AC connectors, and some Mundorf Au/Ag which I would like to try out between the SR7T and the EPS box😀!

ATB

B.

11 hours ago, Exocer said:

What are people using for vibration control? Was the upgrade worthwhile?

Have been eyeing some iso acoustics feet.

Thanks,

-Rob

For a best-of-breed British power supply the obvious choice is best-of-breed British vibration control.  😉

I really like the Townsend Seismic Isolation Pods under my gear.  One of my Townsend pod sets is under a platform holding an SR4T and opticalRendu.  Another is under my DAC - which holds an SR4 on top of it, so it is getting the advantage of the  isolation too.

I've read a few comments from audiophiles who have compared them to the Iso Acoustics products, and they prefer the Townsend damped spring technology.

My system here

I would think the wood blocks as footers would counter the benefit of anything used above it, since the idea is isolation and a wood block is not disconnected from what might be causing a problem. On my desktop under Quad 12L actives, I use Heinke 4" thick wood blocks, but with Isoacoustics stands between them and the speakers. Under an SR4 on the carpet, I use Iso-Pucks. Under everything else, EVP's.

3 hours ago, highstream said:

I would think the wood blocks as footers would counter the benefit of anything used above it, since the idea is isolation and a wood block is not disconnected from what might be causing a problem. On my desktop under Quad 12L actives, I use Heinke 4" thick wood blocks, but with Isoacoustics stands between them and the speakers. Under an SR4 on the carpet, I use Iso-Pucks. Under everything else, EVP's.

I'm fairly certain @austinpop means he used/is using wood blocks/Panzerholz footers between the SR7/components and the wood platform(s), and not under the platform itself. The usual thinking is that wood platforms such as the IKEA Aptitlig or the Taiko Daiza need to have the components they're supporting coupled to them (rather than de-coupled/isolated) to properly drain resonances/energy and do their job, while below the platform(s) decoupling/isolation footers usually are preferred. Unsure what, if anything, austinpop is using to support the Daiza, though, or if it is placed on a rack/similar. 

Which reminds me that after sort of bucking the above wisdom for a bit and using Herbie's Tenderfeet between some components and an IKEA Aptitlig (placed on a wooden desk at the moment), I'm going to reverse course and put the Tenderfeet under the Aptitlig, and some wood spike feet under the components.

Thanks for clarifying. 

2 hours ago, internethandle said:

Which reminds me that after sort of bucking the above wisdom for a bit and using Herbie's Tenderfeet between some components and an IKEA Aptitlig (placed on a wooden desk at the moment), I'm going to reverse course and put the Tenderfeet under the Aptitlig, and some wood spike feet under the components.

Just did this between my SR4T and an Aptitlig (coupling wooden spike feed now sit below the SR4T, which is resting on the Aptitlig, and I moved the Herbie's Tenderfeet that were under the SR4T below the Aptitlig platform itself). Perhaps a bit early, but it indeed is an improvement -- things are much tighter/more coherent and less diffuse/bloated sounding. The SR4T is feeding a SOtM tx-USBultra Special Edition with 9V. 

3 hours ago, Exocer said:

The SR7T has completely transformed my listening experience.

I have the Audio Art Power 1SE power cord connected. It uses Furutech FI-28R connectors on both ends. This a 2nd hand purchase at a price I could not pass up.

The pairing is very good. This is probably what I will stick with until I build my own cable.

Also, vibration control is definitely worth it here. My system may not be the last word in transparency but the inoro across-the-board is noticable. This could be due to the break-in process + vibration control. Hard to tell.

PXL_20201222_032359480.thumb.jpg.51f1ad495126af794ccd80e5fe111bfd.jpg

I meant improvements* across the board 😁

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, paulhynes said:

There is a selector switch on the back of the power supply for 115vac or 230vac.

Thank you so much for the reply.

Is The SR4T Power Supply with the switch too ?

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

33 minutes ago, internethandle said:

As far as I'm aware (and I just checked my SR4T), no, the SR4/SR4T does not have selectable input voltage. 

thank you

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

Hi Mitch,

Actually the mains input voltage on the SR4T can be reset internally by moving the transformer primary connector to one of two positions to change the input voltage from either 115vac to 230vac or visa versa. The earlier SR4 had an internal selector switch on the printed circuit board so these can also be changed to suit your mains voltage.

It was not possible to fit this option to the back panel as there is no room for additional switches.

If you need to change the voltage let me know and I will detail the procedure to access the internals.

Regards

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

Hi Paul being a Brit whats the reason for 230v. Here in Birmingham we can get well over 250v and as you know 240v is the standard.

Is it just an internal sales thing or due to transformer winding/design. Like you mentioned above reducing on the windings half to 115v.

Just a matter of curiosity from the electrically ignorant.

Thank you

Dave 😊

7 hours ago, paulhynes said:

Hi Mitch,

Actually the mains input voltage on the SR4T can be reset internally by moving the transformer primary connector to one of two positions to change the input voltage from either 115vac to 230vac or visa versa. The earlier SR4 had an internal selector switch on the printed circuit board so these can also be changed to suit your mains voltage.

It was not possible to fit this option to the back panel as there is no room for additional switches.

If you need to change the voltage let me know and I will detail the procedure to access the internals.

Regards

Paul

Thank you so much Paul, for the reply.

I will contact you if I have a need for the voltage switching

Regards

Mitch

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone advise on the direction of current flow through my SR5T fuse holder?  I’m trying out a new SR Orange fuse and will try first the orientation shown in attached photo.  No longer any PHD Ltd to ask advice from.

EE6FE8BF-8DCA-493E-A53D-945C0AF7AF55.jpeg

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se