IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

Ah , my brain us getting old, thats where i got my DC blocker from, i suppose you could ask for assembly into a case than just a populated PCB , its on offer it seems.

Really nice guy and well made...the product that is..

@austinpop if you think that would help with such a large in rush current. ?

Thanks again Austinpops, another great year for the thread. Your work is very much appreciated as always.. et al..

Dave

Thanks for the pointers to the soft start devices, guys. There is actually a "built in" current limiter in the PS Audio regenerators like the P12, on the outlets marked Zone D High Current, so I have that option.

More importantly, Paul is working on a solution to incorporate soft start in his future builds, so once he has it, I will send my unit back to have it added. 

• 2 months later...

I have a SR7 and have a question. Several of my components are plugged into a Shunyata Denali Power Conditioner. Does anyone have any experience using the SR7 and Denali together? The option is to plug the SR7 directly into a dedicated outlet. Currently I have the SR7 into the Denali but am considering redoing things to try direct to the outlet. 

Any thoughts would be helpful.

14 minutes ago, oilpaint said:

I have a SR7 and have a question. Several of my components are plugged into a Shunyata Denali Power Conditioner. Does anyone have any experience using the SR7 and Denali together? The option is to plug the SR7 directly into a dedicated outlet. Currently I have the SR7 into the Denali but am considering redoing things to try direct to the outlet. 

Any thoughts would be helpful.

My advice would be to try both alternatives and go with whatever sounds best.  I know physically re-configuring a system can be a PITA, but it's the only way to know for sure.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that write up and the photos. Extremely impressive job on that cabling, especially your tackling of the 24 pin! 

PHD really does seem to be thriving under the standard production arrangement with Stephen & co. -- I'm aware there will still be some desiring more esoteric builds from Paul himself and consequently facing the same issues with respect to very long lead times, but having a lineup of supplies available within a reliable timetable really helps make the value of their products more evident to more people. I've been so happy with my SR4T that, only five days in, I'm considering doubling down and placing another order. 

31 minutes ago, austinpop said:

@Iving

Congratulations on your SR7T, and I, of course, am not surprised to hear of your positive experiences. I thought I'd suggest one more experiment for you to consider.

Do you have another "good" 12V PSU available - for example, an LPS-1.2, SR4, Farad, etc? If so, use it to power the EtherRegen. This frees up the 12V/12A rail on your SR7T to...

...independently power the CPU via the EPS (8-pin Molex) port on your motherboard. You'll of course need an XLR to 8-pin Molex cable, or an adapter from 5.5x2.1 barrel to 8-pin Molex. Ghent Audio can build you these.

The outcome of this experiment is not necessarily clear. I do know that independently powering the CPU via a separate beefy 12v rail does wonders to the SQ of the server. However, it is also true that the ER benefits greatly from an SR7-quality PSU, so you'd be downgrading the ER PSU relative to your current baseline.

Still, you may find that the net effect is better than what you currently have.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Being a reader of the "novel" thread I was aware of this possibility.

A sig. constraint is building cables. I make my own. They are highly shielded and end up stiff. They are precisely measured to hardware. What I am saying is that once I committed a good length of expensive Mundorf Silver/Gold plus extra materials to making the eR cable terminating in a DC barrel plug, I can't now easily re-deploy the same wire to a molex job for the CPU. I'd have to build another very expensive cable just to do the experiment. (And the first cable would be wasted.) So I kinda had to commit to one or the other - and this is the permutation I chose.

It has crossed my mind to get an SR4T for the eR and use the SR7T 12V for the CPU ... but (we have confidence in the HDPLEX 800W Converter, right, and anyway) I don't want too many such thoughts to cross my mind ... and my hobby fund is depleted!

If ever I do it, I'll be sure to post.

I sure hope to read other SR7 experiences on this Thread.

• 6 months later...

rIf it helps at all, I can tell what I’ve done re power cables with an SR4 that feeds an iFi spdif iPurifier, on a run from a modified Oppo 203 to a Lampi TRP dac. I did two things: first, I use a PS Audio AC-12 power cord from one their regenerators. That cord has very good SQ but is now only available on the used market (beware of counterfeits). Second, I started with Paul’s silver output line, but found it bright, so had Dave at Zenwave Audio make me a NOOCC (sp?) copper cable, which turned out really good sonically (the only downside is he didn’t want to deal with a micro-USB connector, which the iFI needs, so I’ve had to use adapters from China, which are fragile and also a delicate connection).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bit01 said:

I am adding this bulk Furutech AC cable to the list and it goes up top as best SQ yet - ease of flow, more 'liquid' (sweet on top and extended well defined lows). Similar tech as the FP-S022N above, only fatter - 12AWG

Very good match for the twin rail SR7T.

Furutech Cable FP-S032N AC Power Cable (bulk) 1 M

Thank you.

Which connectors are you using with this bulk cable?

Are they knockoffs of this one?

https://www.partsconnexion.com/media/pdfs/FTECH-71425.pdf

pricey 

https://www.partsconnexion.com/FTECH-71425.html

I hate the way the clamping screw on many connectors go through the clamping jaws and the wire has to find space around it.

https://u.nu/clamp

Why not just make them like a regular vice? Isn't this the better way for assembly?

http://www.wattgate.com/products/330rhevo/

https://www.partsconnexion.com/WGATE-78862.html

Mark up on cables and their parts is enormous. I just watched a video of Steve Guttenberg interview Andy Singer, owner of Sound by Singer in NYC, where he talked about how cables are the way dealers make up the difference when customers demand big discounts on components when buying a system.  That said, I’d be careful with aliexpress, as it’s known that some of its items are counterfeit or misleadingly advertised knockoffs.

I use a PS Audio AC-12 for my SR4, but the low voltage cable from it is just as important. As I wrote here awhile back, I found Paul’s silver lead bright and went to Dave Cahoon of ZenWave audio to make me a copper one. He used Neotech UPOOC high quality copper and it made a big difference.

1 hour ago, bit01 said:

All of them are either knockoff or replicas of the Furutech FI-50 with carbon fiber shell. For the price difference, the replicas doesn't actually sound bad. There are many cable manufacturers who uses these as well. I think its worth to try them to see if it matches better than the copper version.

10 minutes ago, highstream said:

Mark up on cables and their parts is enormous. I just watched a video of Steve Guttenberg interview Andy Singer, owner of Sound by Singer in NYC, where he talked about how cables are the way dealers make up the difference when customers demand big discounts on components when buying a system.  That said, I’d be careful with aliexpress, as it’s known that some of its items are counterfeit or misleadingly advertised knockoffs.

I agree. Some from Aliexpress actually sound pretty horrible than the ones from Ebay or PcX.