IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

The very good news are Paul is ok, his health and familly look safe.

Also good news are the new large premises is fully operational, the IT is now under control with fresh blood in charge and SR4 future looks bright...

...but the less good news is confimation SR7 througput is dry since months now.

Also depressing, SR7 backlog reduction looks to sit in latest priority row. There seems to be always a reason to not work on that.

I can only second Flkin asking for a clear list of SR7 build status. Having visibility on what's going on regarding progess on SR7 builds is the minimum long waiting line customers deserve.
Also this will help Paul to keep daily focus, working on depleting this list. Having front paying customers waiting for months, if not year, is nothing good to expend a trusty business, so clearing this should become Paul's first work priority now.

Is there an owner's manual for the SR-7?  I would like to add two more power-supply-needy components to it - currently only using 2 of the 4 outlets, but don't know how to do it.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

On 2/27/2019 at 8:38 PM, paulhynes said:

Flkin,

I hear you.

As I stated in my last post a system management regime is being designed to make administration easier this will remove much admin from my work load. I will still have to provide technical advice to customers until such time as we find and train a technician but most of the day to day admin will be in Mark’s hands once he is up to speed.

Part of Mark’s remit with regard to the admin system design is to instigate progress notifications to customers via e-mail.

Auric,

E-mail me with your order specifications so I can check the records for your build.

I am tired of the constant distractions that have occurred during the last few years too. Hiring staff in the new premises is designed to alleviate those distractions.

I understand you are tired of waiting from the various comments you have posted on CA. If you have run out of patience I have a number of people awaiting order cancellations who would be only too pleased to take over your order and I would be happy to facilitate the transfer for you and thus provide a refund for you.

Incidentally, I have noticed a number of comments criticising custom build order cancellation transfers. I should point out that the cancelled orders do not belong to me. They belong to the original customer who placed the order. If he no longer wishes to proceed to completion for any reason he is fully entitled to transfer his order to another person without losing his paid for place in the custom build queue. My involvement is purely as a facilitator and to ease the transfer by providing technical information if required. This is not a conspiracy to short circuit the custom build queue and it does not change anyone else’s position in the queue.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul 

- Status of your current build isn't a lot to ask for. Please do let us know the current build and status.

- Yes, my power requirements have changed. I would like to sell my queue position for my SR7. Please PM me if you have a customer.

Your policy of letting people take over cancellations might offer you no benefits but can't you see it upsets your current customers? This occurs because you allow to reconfigure the order which effectively makes it equivalent to buying a new custom order without the queue. Yes, we are no worse off time wise but it sure does make one wish they had simply waited to cut into the queue!

Cutting a few years of the wait time is not trival.

@paulhynes, Hello Paul, that must have been a hard decision. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I’m not sure if I’m the only one but this type of customer has not been mentioned yet. I mean the customer who’s currently waiting for a defective module replacement. I have one defective SR-7 EHD high power module I emailed you about January 4th, the module was supposed to be included in a build schedule two weeks later but I guess this too got delayed. My two emails asking for an update must be in that 21k queue.

Where do I and possibly these other similar customers fit in your schedules and will you personally finish these open cases or will they be transferred to PHD Ltd.? When will these open cases be handled and ‘dealt with’?

Hi Paul

Perhaps the way I have been writing doesn't treat you with sufficient respect for a giant in the audio world that has contributed a great deal over decades. For my frustrations taken out on you, valid or not, I apologise. 🙏 Your supplies are undoubtly fine and you have many happy customers today.

Let's take our particular situation private and continue via PM/email. I still do want to let go of my order as my audio journey has led me down a different path now.

My suggestion of disclosing the status of your production queue doesn't require you to state the owner of the queue, only the current queue number being worked on and level of work on that unit. Please do consider, it will surely save you a lot of time and heartache going forward.

6 hours ago, paulhynes said:

...Now I have decided to reverse that decision and close the custom build service again but this time permanently.

All current outstanding orders will be serviced, of course, and it is my intention to get back on the workbench next week and resume with a schedule of one custom build per five working days (as defined in my custom build ordering terms) as closely as possible until all the outstanding orders are completed...

Sad but wise, a decision that probably was hard to take, but will free your mind toward a better life.

Regarding list of custom build order backlog, we just ask for more visibility - nothing breaching - just a consistent list of all outstanding builds with status. Reading you seem not be able to for sure retrieve and match order details with customers for the about 15 or so outstanding SR7 build is not very reassuring...

Personally I don't mind if you publish my order spec, build number and name, quite opposite giving visibility is fist step for clarity.

So here it is - SR7DRMR2XL (2x 12V) with DC6FSXL cables – 0.5m length no terminal plugs, build #23, François

Personally, I have waited for 16 months and I'm prepared to wait for another 16 months. I like that Paul is willing to open up my slot for others and refund me at any time if I so desire. That actually ensures I don't lose money, and I don't have to go through the hassle of posting on a forum and having to try and sell it myself.

These products aren't for everyone. I value the customisation aspect of things (aka not scaleable), and hence am prepared to wait as a result. Also I can understand why, since they are customised, people can take over builds- this is not like all of us are getting the same product and someone just 'leapfrogged' us.

But these are just my two cents!

On 2/28/2019 at 11:29 AM, Jim Smith said:

Is there an owner's manual for the SR-7?  I would like to add two more power-supply-needy components to it - currently only using 2 of the 4 outlets, but don't know how to do it.

Yes, here you go.  I have excluded pricing as I don't know what's current.

Paul Hynes Design

SR Power Supplies

The SR range of high performance power supplies were designed for powering both analogue and digital audio and video equipment. The same proprietary ultra low noise high performance discrete component voltage regulator circuit topology is used in the SR3, SR5 and SR7 power supplies. The SR3 uses a standard 50VA mains transformer, the SR5 uses a custom manufactured 160VA mains transformer and the SR7 uses a custom manufactured 250VA mains transformer. The SR7MR uses a custom manufactured mains transformer with up to 500VA rating depending on the overall rail requirements. The custom manufactured mains transformers use oversized grain orientated silicon steel cores and are wound to avoid core saturation in use and to operate quietly both electrically and mechanically. Schottky Barrier rectifiers are used throughout the range, as they do not generate reverse recovery transients and their associated harmonic distortions.

The error amplifier used in the voltage regulator modules has the following specification :-

Noise voltage < 0.5 nanovolts root Hz

Operating Bandwidth > 300 Mhz

Supply line rejection > 80 dB DC to 100 KHz

Output impedance < 3 milliohms DC to 100 KHz

Transient response and settling time < 100 nanoseconds

As the SR3, SR5 and SR7 all use the same high performance regulator circuit topology they all have a similar sonic signature musically. Moving up the range allows better quality lower impedance mains transformers and up-rated rectification and regulator output stage providing a reduction in power supply output impedance, which in turn reduces interaction with the load. The increased energy storage capacitor bank also reduces rectifier ripple noise and RFI break through from the mains supply. Another benefit of the increased energy storage capacitance is with transient response and settling time. The net effect musically is to provide progressively larger, more stable and more robust soundstage particularly where large dynamic load current swings occur, as well as, a lower noise floor and improved timbre and temporal accuracy.

These power supplies are available with fixed voltage output from 1.6v to 30v or variable voltage output with a 10 volt span on voltage setting, within this range, using the precision adjustment potentiometer internally situated on the regulator module.

Continuous power output ratings – For fixed output voltage versions the SR3 provides 25W, the SR5 provides 80W and the SR7 provides 125W and the SR7MR chassis can support up to 250W spread across the rails. The SR5 can support one 6A module and the SR7 can support one 10A module. The output voltage and output current can be specified within this power rating using the formulae :-

V = W/I

I = W/V

Where V is output voltage, W is the available power in Watts and I is the output current in Amps.

If you require help with power supply specification I will be pleased to help you.

For variable output voltage versions of the power supplies, set at the maximum output voltage of the range, the SR3 provides 25W, the SR5 provides 80W and the SR7 provides 125W. Lower voltage settings than maximum will increase the voltage across the regulator output device, which will increase the heat generated in this device. To maintain safe operating temperatures and long term reliability the current rating should be de-rated by 8% per volt when reducing the output voltage level on variable output voltage versions.

The SR5 and SR7 power supplies are available in Multirail versions SR5MR and SR7MR with galvanic isolation between the supply rails to avoid ground return current intermodulation (ground loops) where more than one item of equipment is powered from the same power supply. The SR5MR can support one 6A regulator module and one 3A regulator module or two 3A modules. The SR7MR can support one 10A module and up to three additional 3A modules or two 6A modules and up to two additional 3A modules.

XL ultra low impedance (< 1 milliohm) connectors and fine silver internal wiring between capacitor banks, regulator modules and the output connectors, can be fitted to the SR5 and SR7 power supplies.

The SR3, SR5 and SR7 single rail supplies are also available in DR versions where two of the high performance voltage regulators are cascaded to a give supply line and rectification interference rejection exceeding 150 dB from DC to 100 KHz. This provides lower overall noise levels than the standard power supplies and better dynamic performance.

Power supply dimensions are :-

SR3 – W = 110mm, H = 50mm, D = 170mm

SR5 – W = 224mm, H = 90mm, D = 260mm

SR7, SR7MR2, SR7MR3 – W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 260mm

SR7MR4 – W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 340mm

51 minutes ago, tims said:

Slightly OT but ghentaudio make a dc cable that fits the SR7 (and other SR's I presume) using jaeger and oyaide plugs with canare star quad cable, here:

Oyaide DC-2.1G/2.5G to JAEGER Male(3pin) Cable

I bought a couple and they are well made and fit my SR7.

Ghent will also make you a JSSG 360 version out of Gotham cable if you ask. 

18 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Ghent will also make you a JSSG 360 version out of Gotham cable if you ask. 

I had a poor experience recently when adding JSSG 360 to my SR7 DIY DC cable:

Started with 4 x Neotech 18AWG OCC solid core copper in starquad formation. Soldered to a Jaeger connector at SR7 end (2 wires per pin), and an el cheapo screw terminated 2.5mm plug at Hugo M-scaler end. About 0.6m long, no grounding.

Sounded great, but I haven't compared to any other cable yet.

I then added JSSG 360 and got worse SQ across the board (flatter, more smeared, reduced detail/dynamics etc).

I assumed I was imagining it, so let it run for a few days, but SQ remained disappointing.

So I removed the JSSG 360 and SQ immediately improved - it was very obvious, no further A/B comparisons needed.

I can imagine that there may be some circumstances where JSSG 360 would not give much improvement, but I can't see how it could ever make things worse. Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

Started with 4 x Neotech 18AWG OCC solid core copper in starquad formation. Soldered to a Jaeger connector at SR7 end (2 wires per pin), and an el cheapo screw terminated 2.5mm plug at Hugo M-scaler end. About 0.6m long, no grounding.

I then added JSSG 360 and got worse SQ across the board (flatter, more smeared, reduced detail/dynamics etc).

I assumed I was imagining it, so let it run for a few days, but SQ remained disappointing.

So I removed the JSSG 360 and SQ immediately improved - it was very obvious, no further A/B comparisons needed.

I can imagine that there may be some circumstances where JSSG 360 would not give much improvement, but I can't see how it could ever make things worse. Any ideas?

Not sure why it would make anything worse.  No mistakes made in implementing it?

12 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

Same experience as you with DC cables that come with JS-2

On 3/2/2019 at 10:22 AM, Johnseye said:

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

Thanks Johnseye!

Paul did reply to my e-mail inquiry about adding two more components.  Apparently it's not possible without essentially rebuilding it...

On 2/26/2019 at 11:40 PM, paulhynes said:

Regarding the SR4 production delays, there was an additional issue to deal with this month on a batch of boards from the CMC (contract manufacturing company). The aluminium bar mounted on board the printed circuit board to provide a firm interface between the power supply power devices and the chassis was initially slightly out of alignment which prevented a sound thermal interface with the chassis. We fixed this but when it came time for final assembly into the chassis another issue was found in that the screw mounting holes were too small to take the screws, so we had to remove the aluminium bars again and get the holes re-machined. Production is now continuing and we expect to be shipping out all the remaining outstanding orders through next week.

Hi Paul, 

Is the text (underlined) in the last sentence still vaild?  And the text implies any SR4 ordered in 2018 will be shipped by this week, correct?

29 minutes ago, your momo said:

Any news from Paul regarding SR7 outstanding custom builds ?

Wasn't he supposed to contact each of us during last week...

I believe he said that he would be emailing people who have not already been assigned a number in the queue once all of the information pertaining to those orders had been updated.  Those of us who already have a build number should not expect to hear from him.

Hopefully, we will be getting a monthly update on build and ship status posted to this thread, although Paul has never made such a commitment to do so despite repeated pleas.

I had a thought for Paul.

Rather than go thru 20,000 emails, why not email the 20+- people still in line for SR-7s and ask them (us, me) to summarize the emails we have sent over the last half year or so? I know I have sent Paul probable 10-20 emails either changing my order or inquiring about the status. Seems like an easier way than trying to answer 20,000 emails? This assumes Paul has a list of people who have actually bought SR-7s. And since he has decided to stop custom builds - no reason to respond to those emails. Maybe the same holds for people who have bought SR-4s?

Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...