IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

1 hour ago, TopQuark said:

I just received 2 SR4's today.  SR7 build #15 is next after some minor modification Paul decided to do to make the product more robust.  Yup, he's up and running.

What build month were your SR4's if you don't mind me asking, so that the rest of us waiting for SR4's can get an idea of where paul is up to on catching up

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

Would someone please create a Paul Hynes build calendar thread?  I'd really like to hear more people's impressions on their SR7's in this thread.  I've read of some people modifying their SR7's.  I added EMI/RF shielding into mine.  It would be great to hear more about experiences with the SR7.  Lately all I see are questions about build dates.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Would someone please create a Paul Hynes build calendar thread?  I'd really like to hear more people's impressions on their SR7's in this thread.  I've read of some people modifying their SR7's.  I added EMI/RF shielding into mine.  It would be great to hear more about experiences with the SR7.  Lately all I see are questions about build dates.

Thanks

He hasn't delivered an SR7 in 10 months and counting, so no one has a recent impression to share.  :)

• 3 months later...

I did have an order in for an SR5, but cancelled as I was very lucky to find a SR7 twin rail up for sale second hand in the UK.  Paul was great and refunded me without issue (I think he's definately on track now and he's a very genuine guy).

So, initial impressions of the SR7 powering my DNHE NUC is that it is a noticible improvement in detail retreival throughout and in partiqular I am very impressed with the change in the upper octaves - cymbels, bells etc... instruments such as these now also appear in their own space, and depending upon the recording, can also be heard outside of the speakers (not just stereo separation anymore, I'm now hearing sounds that are heard above the speakers as well).

Lower octaves sound similar to my PC which was my previous reference (MSI Z97I Gaming ITX mobo, 4790k, Corsair PSU - Euphony as playback) - dynamics and transients are about the same on the two.

One thing I have noticed is that the SR7 sounds somewhat darker overall, reminds me of vinyl playback perhaps...  I guess this could be countered by switching to a slightly brighter sounding DAC (I used Naim V1 at present).

Can anyone else comment on experiencing a slightly darker sound signature with the SR7?

I do not have the SR7 yet (still waiting for PH to complete it). I do have an SR4 and the same NUC/DAC-V1 setup. When I had the NUC setup headless (AL/LMS/Squeezelite) with 8GB RAM, I could run it off the Uptone LPS1.2 as well and thought the SR4 sounded 'darker' in comparison. I find that one can tune the sound though by trying different cables along the chain. IIRC- the SR4 seemed to 'improve' in that respect when I used different AC & DC cords.

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, oilpaint said:

For those with a SR7, do you run it threw a power conditioner or straight to AC wall power plug? Has anyone ever done a comparison? I am currently running my SR7 to a Shunyata Denali S (version 1).

No question for me - the SR-7 benefits from a good power conditioner. I've used it with my PS Audio P5 and on a Sound Application TT7, and in both cases, the SR-7 sounded better through the power conditioner.

The one big caution is that the SR-7 has a wicked inrush current, especially as you get up into the big multirail DR units. My 3-rail unit has about 800VA of transformer, and a significant capacitor bank that takes a lot of initial current to "charge." I have actually tripped my P5's current limiter turning the SR-7 on. I've now learned to plan my turn on sequence carefully.

This is also a good reason to wait to get to know your unit before attempting any fuse upgrades, so you don't blow an expensive fuse.

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

No question for me - the SR-7 benefits from a good power conditioner. I've used it with my PS Audio P5 and on a Sound Application TT7, and in both cases, the SR-7 sounded better through the power conditioner.

The one big caution is that the SR-7 has a wicked inrush current, especially as you get up into the big multirail DR units. My 3-rail unit has about 800VA of transformer, and a significant capacitor bank that takes a lot of initial current to "charge." I have actually tripped my P5's current limiter turning the SR-7 on. I've now learned to plan my turn on sequence carefully.

This is also a good reason to wait to get to know your unit before attempting any fuse upgrades, so you don't blow an expensive fuse.

What fuse value are you using in your 3-rail unit?

1 hour ago, oilpaint said:

For those with a SR7, do you run it threw a power conditioner or straight to AC wall power plug? Has anyone ever done a comparison? I am currently running my SR7 to a Shunyata Denali S (version 1).

Still waiting for my single-regulated 2-rail SR7 to arrive from PHD Ltd - they were hoping to get it to me before Christmas.  When it does arrive I will be comparing it powering my Chord M Scales and my tX-USBultra (or the OPTO.DX transmitter) with the SR7 plugged into my Shunyata UK6 distribution block and into a non-dedicated wall socket.

At the moment, the SR4 powering my M Scaler sounds cleaner (better) plugged unto the UK6, which connects to the wall socket via an unfiltered Shunyata Alpha EF.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

1 hour ago, oilpaint said:

I should add that this is also highly dependent on the quality of your AC circuit and the quality of your power conditioner. While others' experiences are useful to know, there are just too many permutaions. This is an easy enough comparison to do yourself, and you should determine what sounds best for your system, and go with that.

12 minutes ago, Middy said:

Would a soft start circuit help in this case without detriment to the chain.

I dont see how a softstart circuit would do any harm.

There are some finished ones to buy.

https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/populated-pcb/soft-start-inrush-current-limiter-for-toroidal-transformers-assembled-tested/

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree