IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

8 hours ago, greenleo said:

To the owners of the SR7,

Do you change the its fuse?

What power cable do you use to fully unleash the potential of the SR7?

I've used a couple different cables. Nothing is specific to the SR7. I'm using a 10awg well shielded cable now. I think it's the Shunyata Venom HC. 

I tried changing the fuse but ran into issues. Others have had success by using a boutique fuse 1.6x higher rated than the stock. 

5 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I've used a couple different cables. Nothing is specific to the SR7. I'm using a 10awg well shielded cable now. I think it's the Shunyata Venom HC. 

I tried changing the fuse but ran into issues. Others have had success by using a boutique fuse 1.6x higher rated than the stock. 

thank you Johnseye. Why 1.6x?  What's the size of the fuse?  Any links to their story and the benefits of changing the fuse?  Thank you again.

13 hours ago, greenleo said:

To the owners of the SR7,

Do you change the its fuse?

What power cable do you use to fully unleash the potential of the SR7?

There's no "right answer," Leo. The better way to think about it is: does this component benefit, or scale, with better <pick your accessories (power cables, fuses, ...)>?

Since I've only borrowed an SR-7, I've only tried a couple of PCs on it: Pangea AC-14SE MkII and Cardas Clear. The Cardas certainly sounded better, so yes the SR-7 scales with PCs. Is the Clear the "right" or "best" cable? Of course not. It just means it has the potential to benefit. Contrast that to the Mutec Ref-10, which I was surprised to find did not seem to benefit (scale) with a better PC.

@romaz and @auricgoldfinger have, I believe, tried and liked the SR Blue and Beeswax fuses. So there again, the SR-7 seems to scale with fuse quality.

As for the 1.6x - this depends on the fuse vendor. Synergistic Research have advised using a multiplier like that when deciding what capacity of their Blue fuse to get. The important point there is to check with the fuse manufacturer what they recommend.

I have been reading a lot of good things about the SR7. Also, reading that there is a decent backog for existing orders and that no new orders would be accepted. And this "best in the world" class product would be discontinued.  Sad news.

One thing I keep wondering, though, is what makes this power supply so difficult to manufacture? Is it because only one man in the world knows the schematics and does not have enough time to do it? Or is it because there are some unobtainable parts? Obviously there is a custom toroidal in each LPS, but there are many companies that take custom orders for transformers. I don't expect Mr. Paul Hynes to comment as I am sure he is busy building those custom orders, but does anyone know what makes this SR7 so hard to build?

Thank you! 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

41 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I have been reading a lot of good things about the SR7. Also, reading that there is a decent backog for existing orders and that no new orders would be accepted. And this "best in the world" class product would be discontinued.  Sad news.

One thing I keep wondering, though, is what makes this power supply so difficult to manufacture? Is it because only one man in the world knows the schematics and does not have enough time to do it? Or is it because there are some unobtainable parts? Obviously there is a custom toroidal in each LPS, but there are many companies that take custom orders for transformers. I don't expect Mr. Paul Hynes to comment as I am sure he is busy building those custom orders, but does anyone know what makes this SR7 so hard to build?

Thank you! 

In my opinion, the SR7 is the culmination of a lifelong passion for designing power supplies and the knowledge derived from many years of exploration and experience.  This knowledge is proprietary to Paul Hynes.  The difficulty in manufacture is due to a variety of factors, most notably that every build is completely customized according to each customer's unique requirements.  Furthermore, Paul Hynes builds them all himself.  You can review this thread for further insight into some of the other issues.

4 hours ago, Nenon said:

Thank you! 

Brian said it perfectly. When you combine intelligence, experience, and most importantly passion, good things are bound to happen.  Another thing I have noticed about Paul is humility.  He doesn't claim to know it all or that his product is better than anyone else's, not even in private, and so Paul is always trying to get better rather than resting on his laurels and that is evident in the evolution of his product line.  There are those who have tried to emulate Paul's designs, have even opened up an SR7 and automatically claimed superiority by virtue of using name brand parts that aren't used in the SR7 like Mundorf caps, etc. And yet, where it matters most, the SR7 always seems to prevail.

Just recently I heard about this forum and decided to share my experience about my SR7.

Before I start, I have to apologize for my English, since is not my first language!

After a long temptation for SR7 (price was my biggest obstacle) and after speaking with Paul Hynes, I finally decided to bite the bullet and order one.

I chose one 6A and 3 x 3A adjustable rails, with the silver wiring inside and silver DC leads.

I paid in November 2016 and few weeks was the wait, but after all the frustrations and excuses, I finally got my PS about a year after (end of 2017).

Soon as it arrived, I forgot about all the previous troubles and no-one was happier than me! It was better than my big TeraDak 820W PS!

My happiness was short lived, because just after a day or two, my few months old, SSD Toshiba Q PRO ($500) died!!!

Immediately I contacted Paul and since the rail voltage was at 5V, the only explanation that Paul suggested it was that probably was a “faulty” SSD!

After that everything worked fine for the next 4-5 months (Nov. 2017- Mar. 2018). Usually I completely turn of my system form the summer period (April – Oct).

Oct. 2018, I'm back to listening music and in November my different SSD from the same rail dies!

Since I know that last time the voltage was still at 5V and since this SSD was about 3 years old, I just assumed that “it was his time”! Without measuring the voltage I connected my backup SSD (my master copy and another Toshiba Q PRO, another $500) and it died instantly! Same as I instantly start to cold sweat!

When I measured the output.....it was at 17V!!!

I wanted to cry and scream with all my lungs!

I contacted Paul and he immediately replied that is a probably bad regulator and give me two options:

1. To sent my PS to him for repair, or

2. he can send me the reg with the instructions and I will have to change it myself.

Both options free of charge. Very Impressive!

Since sending my PS to him means no music and from my previous long waiting experience, I just asked for the reg replacement!

That was then (Nov. 2018), and now it's already April 2019 and the only thing that I got by now was a promise and no answer this year at all!!!

I'm still one rail short and waiting for that reg, but now I'm worried about the OTHER TWO REGS, which can make even a bigger damage to my pocket!

After reading Paul statement here:

There have been several regulator module failures on the Multirail power supplies this last year, usually the 3A modules. The failure mode has been a short between the input and output terminals of the regulator output device. The cause appears to be over dissipation (too much heat generation) in the output device.”

As I told Paul, the reg that it killed my SSD's had NOTHING else connected to it, except ONE SSD!

Not much of a power requirement for a 3A reg. and it still died!

Because all of the above and since I don't feel safe now, I had to by additional 5V 1.5A LT3045's and connect them on my remaining two 5V rails (now raised to 5.8V), for my JCAT USB card and my HR Diverter!

Hopefully the LT's will protect from reg spike!

This is my “life story”, and the facts with my SR7.

I have no bad intentions, or to defame anyone, but I'm very very disappointed!

In the end is that I paid over $3000 (plus over a $1000 in damage), just to get more stress and problems into my life!

10 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

In my opinion, the SR7 is the culmination of a lifelong passion for designing power supplies and the knowledge derived from many years of exploration and experience.  This knowledge is proprietary to Paul Hynes.  The difficulty in manufacture is due to a variety of factors, most notably that every build is completely customized according to each customer's unique requirements.  Furthermore, Paul Hynes builds them all himself.  You can review this thread for further insight into some of the other issues.

5 hours ago, romaz said:

Brian said it perfectly. When you combine intelligence, experience, and most importantly passion, good things are bound to happen.  Another thing I have noticed about Paul is humility.  He doesn't claim to know it all or that his product is better than anyone else's, not even in private, and so Paul is always trying to get better rather than resting on his laurels and that is evident in the evolution of his product line.  There are those who have tried to emulate Paul's designs, have even opened up an SR7 and automatically claimed superiority by virtue of using name brand parts that aren't used in the SR7 like Mundorf caps, etc. And yet, where it matters most, the SR7 always seems to prevail.

Very cool. I have never heard someone comparing another LPS to the SR7 saying that's even close to it. So Paul's products are definitely top notch when it comes to sound quality. 

I always thought people who make power supplies have one or two sets of schematics and only replace a couple of resistors to come up with the right voltage. And I always wondered why Paul could not streamline that process. But it seems like there is a lot more "secret sauce" and customization than my head is imagining. And sometimes I want to understand everything... that level of curiosity is a bad thing.

But that takes me to another point. And it has probably been discussed here, but I have spent so many hours reading this forum recently and need to go back to my normal life soon :). Very nice forum, btw, and I learned so much in such a short period of time thanks to all of you. But what I am wondering (and sorry if it has been discussed already) is how close a SR4 is to SR7 when it comes to small current applications? I understand the SR7 could be designed to handle more amperes, which might be a requirement for many applications, but if I was to power something small like a USB reclocker that requires no more than 5V/1A, would there be a significant difference between a SR7 and a SR4? I already know LPS's sounds different... been there, done that, heard it with my ears.

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

We have a temporary lay off issue at the new premises.

This is a bit of a saga but I thought I would provide a thorough report as certain persons commenting negatively on here in the past have been fond of quoting snippets of information out of context to give a more positive spin on their side and a more negative spin on my side.

The new premises are part of the Lochboisdale Pier Development which consists of small ground floor units with flats (apartments if you live in the USA) on two floors above. The drains are shared between the commercial units and the flats and common in the vertical direction until they reach the inspection manholes running along the footpath outside, where they are grouped together and directed to a large storage tank across the road.

For several weeks we have been experiencing drain backup in our toilet and also the sink in the janitor’s room. I called the Scottish Water Authority about the problem and last Friday one of their technicians arrived to investigate.

The inlet on the sewage tank across the road was found to be blocked due to the disposal of wet wipes and sanitary products down the drains. Not recommended but some people do not pay attention to these matters.

After clearing the tank inlet blockage and all the outside drains up to the manhole covers, the Scottish Water Technician reported back to me, but unfortunately I had to tell him that he had not cleared our sector blockage. He was unable to help further, as he was not authorised to work on internal blockages in business and domestic premises, and duly advised me to contact a plumber. Well, plumbers are as rare as rocking horse manure on the island but I managed to make contact with several (so not so rare really) but they were unavailable and I was informed that they are booked up solid with work for many, many months. So it is not just custom build that has long queues here.

Unfortunately over the weekend the residents of the flats continued to add waste to the drains and there was an overflow in both the toilet and the janitor’s room with some further leakage out into unit 6 (currently the storeroom), and the cloakroom and kitchen area. On my return to the premises on Monday I realised what had been a minor inconvenience had developed into a health and safety issue which would need cleansing before we could continue working in the premises, so in compliance with health and safety regulations I sent the staff home until completion of the cleansing.

So what to do next? Well first I rescued as much uncontaminated equipment and stock from the store room (unit 6) as I could and stacked it in the workshop which was fortunately unaffected by the foul water overflow.

Then I returned to the issue at hand. I spent some time on the Internet looking for options, but without the proper equipment, and a working knowledge of the internal drain layout, this was not something I could deal with myself.

I contacted the landlord of the premises who was very helpful. He informed me that the flats were all part of a local housing association and they had a small team of various trades for maintenance purposes. As the drains were essentially a joint responsibility he said he would contact the housing association and on Tuesday two plumbers arrived. They were as perplexed as I was regarding the drain layout but they did have all the required equipment for the job.

It took them over an hour to find the blockage and clear it. This is where my day got very much worse. As the blockage was cleared a large amount of foul drain water flooded out of the toilet and also from the low lying sink in the janitor’s room soaking the areas only lightly contaminated previously. Noooooooo! Why Me? What have I done to deserve this? I spent the rest of the day vainly trying to mop up the mess.

Anyway, where are we now? The landlord has reacted quickly and is currently trying to organise a clean up team to resolve the health and safety issue. I am not at this point sure when the clean up operation will begin as I am awaiting communication regarding this. I will update you when I know more.

Unfortunately, until the clean up has been completed the premises are not operational so once again the work schedule has an unscheduled delay. Needless to say I will endeavour to return the premises to operational status as soon as possible.

Humorous comments and puns are acceptable at this point and, if my mood lifts, I may give a prize to the one that makes me laugh the most, but no trolling, sarcastic or negative comments please.

Regards to all

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

9 minutes ago, paulhynes said:

This is a bit of a saga but I thought I would provide a thorough report as certain persons commenting negatively on here in the past have been fond of quoting snippets of information out of context to give a more positive spin on their side and a more negative spin on my side.

The new premises are part of the Lochboisdale Pier Development which consists of small ground floor units with flats (apartments if you live in the USA) on two floors above. The drains are shared between the commercial units and the flats and common in the vertical direction until they reach the inspection manholes running along the footpath outside, where they are grouped together and directed to a large storage tank across the road.

For several weeks we have been experiencing drain backup in our toilet and also the sink in the janitor’s room. I called the Scottish Water Authority about the problem and last Friday one of their technicians arrived to investigate.

The inlet on the sewage tank across the road was found to be blocked due to the disposal of wet wipes and sanitary products down the drains. Not recommended but some people do not pay attention to these matters.

After clearing the tank inlet blockage and all the outside drains up to the manhole covers, the Scottish Water Technician reported back to me, but unfortunately I had to tell him that he had not cleared our sector blockage. He was unable to help further, as he was not authorised to work on internal blockages in business and domestic premises, and duly advised me to contact a plumber. Well, plumbers are as rare as rocking horse manure on the island but I managed to make contact with several (so not so rare really) but they were unavailable and I was informed that they are booked up solid with work for many, many months. So it is not just custom build that has long queues here.

Unfortunately over the weekend the residents of the flats continued to add waste to the drains and there was an overflow in both the toilet and the janitor’s room with some further leakage out into unit 6 (currently the storeroom), and the cloakroom and kitchen area. On my return to the premises on Monday I realised what had been a minor inconvenience had developed into a health and safety issue which would need cleansing before we could continue working in the premises, so in compliance with health and safety regulations I sent the staff home until completion of the cleansing.

So what to do next? Well first I rescued as much uncontaminated equipment and stock from the store room (unit 6) as I could and stacked it in the workshop which was fortunately unaffected by the foul water overflow.

Then I returned to the issue at hand. I spent some time on the Internet looking for options, but without the proper equipment, and a working knowledge of the internal drain layout, this was not something I could deal with myself.

I contacted the landlord of the premises who was very helpful. He informed me that the flats were all part of a local housing association and they had a small team of various trades for maintenance purposes. As the drains were essentially a joint responsibility he said he would contact the housing association and on Tuesday two plumbers arrived. They were as perplexed as I was regarding the drain layout but they did have all the required equipment for the job.

It took them over an hour to find the blockage and clear it. This is where my day got very much worse. As the blockage was cleared a large amount of foul drain water flooded out of the toilet and also from the low lying sink in the janitor’s room soaking the areas only lightly contaminated previously. Noooooooo! Why Me? What have I done to deserve this? I spent the rest of the day vainly trying to mop up the mess.

Anyway, where are we now? The landlord has reacted quickly and is currently trying to organise a clean up team to resolve the health and safety issue. I am not at this point sure when the clean up operation will begin as I am awaiting communication regarding this. I will update you when I know more.

Unfortunately, until the clean up has been completed the premises are not operational so once again the work schedule has an unscheduled delay. Needless to say I will endeavour to return the premises to operational status as soon as possible.

Humorous comments and puns are acceptable at this point and, if my mood lifts, I may give a prize to the one that makes me laugh the most, but no trolling, sarcastic or negative comments please.

Regards to all

Paul

Hi Paul,

That is quite a story!  Thanks for giving us a timely update.  Does the contaminated equipment and stock include customer inventory such as transformers and cases that are being held until those orders reach your work bench?  If so, what will happen to it?

Brian

1 hour ago, paulhynes said:

Regards to all

Paul

Sorry for you Paul.  English is not my 1st tongue and I can't provide anything humorous but only a sincere greeting.  All The Best.

President Trump has a word he uses to describe these conditions.  It caused an international diplomatic incident when he used it to describe some countries.  

I imagine you're really pissed off.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

If the post had substantive content, such as questions, listening impressions, or measurements, then re-post that portion.

And, if it was about long delays or something like then - everyone needs to realize that small or one person companies are subject to all sorts of such issues.  In the aftermarket sports car world a sick relative once caused the wait for polished Fuchs wheels to go from 1 year to 3 year.  It's part of the situation (or as Lee Scroggins would say "ecosystem").

15 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

If the post had substantive content, such as questions, listening impressions, or measurements, then re-post that portion.

And, if it was about long delays or something like then - everyone needs to realize that small or one person companies are subject to all sorts of such issues.  In the aftermarket sports car world a sick relative once caused the wait for polished Fuchs wheels to go from 1 year to 3 year.  It's part of the situation (or as Lee Scroggins would say "ecosystem").

There were no questions, impressions, measurements or anything of value.  Just emotional venting.

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

It was flaming and an attack.  Technically I have hidden it for reference.  I can message it to you if you'd like to send it privately to Paul, however I see no value to this conversation in publicly attacking someone.  You have your position and I'm sure there's another side to it.  What will end up happening is a back and forth dialogue which should be handled between you and him privately.

OK, I understand!

Forgive my frustration for being a disappointed costumer!

Please message it to me! Thank you!

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

That must have been quite a draining experience.

Still, as Ray points out, today’s horror is tomorrow’s terroir.

Hopefully the new plumbers will be more competent than Westminster in installing a more effective backstop for the future.

Too soon, I know!

Not too soon, as it happens.....

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/04/uk/house-of-commons-water-leak-scli-gbr-intl/

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.