IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

27 minutes ago, crenca said:

Probably right, but Michael's consistent & reflexive personal insulting seems to be a kind of "tick" he just can't move away from.  What else can you do but tolerate it in discussion and try to focus on the substantial issues?  I do agree with you that a line has been crossed however.

He just left another one - also highly offensive (unless you're a clinician).

He did come close to at least one decent point - at a certain level, some will be more concerned about some distortions more than others.

Now, what's the big deal about steel frames?  My system is insufficiently resolving to see why it might be better than say CF...

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Chris

There is no excuse for the message that Michael sent, but I hope that the guys who provoked Michael don't get off without even a warning ?

Reviewers and some well known designers often seem to be targeted by some members as fair game, often either being driven away or ceasing posting for quite a while.

Regards

Alex

Nobody has reported a single provocation. 

In addition, I don't give any leeway because someone was provoked. We are adults and control our own actions. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Well now I don't need to respond to ML's pm to me.  No it wasn't like the one he was banned for not even close.  Just one that illuminated who he is.  Not in a good way to my thinking and probably was to his thinking.  So not sure what set him off so inappropriately on Ralf.  Most definitely not called for though.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

23 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Now, what's the big deal about steel frames?  My system is insufficiently resolving to see why it might be better than say CF...

We talking bike frames or speaker frames?

Don't you know?  Steel is Real.  Plastic is fantastic.  At one time titanium was unobtainium.  

Before anyone accuses me of bias, I own steel, carbon fiber, titanium and hybrid CF/Ti framed bikes.  My most expensive watch was $140.  It tells time with admirable accuracy whether riding a bike or listening to audio.  Even worked in an art museum the last couple times I visited.  Church's and sacred religious spaces too.  And like me the watch is powered by sunlight. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

12 minutes ago, esldude said:

Well now I don't need to respond to ML's pm to me.  No it wasn't like the one he was banned for not even close.  Just one that illuminated who he is.  Not in a good way to my thinking and probably was to his thinking.  So not sure what set him off so inappropriately on Ralf.  Most definitely not called for though.  

me neither

maybe the fact that I partly agreed with some things he said this time?

7 minutes ago, Milt99 said:

Are some of you dense?

New to the Interweb, audio forums?

This is version 9,253,125 of the same stunningly pointless argument.

Anytime anyone who is directly in the A\V business or anyone who writes about it makes the mistake of posting

on a forum, it's like blood in the Amazon for the piranhas only these mindless meat eaters have an axe to grind for whatever reason.

The point of the attack is never made. So what is it? You want all A\V sites to burn in hell because you disagree with them?

CA is no different except it gives us voice, some chose to use that opportunity to anonymously strap on a flame thrower &

lay waste to their target. Grow the f*ck up.

And now for something completely different:

"The industry" normally only "dabble" in forums because they can not control the narrative.  There are those forums that they control of course, but their value is not the same and consumers tend to figure it out sooner or later.  This is another data point to consider when thinking if their's is a confidence game.

There are exceptions of course (Mr. Hanson, Schiit's principal {can't remember his name}), etc).  They however appear to work off different principals such as a more open (read legitimate) engineering style that even where you disagree with it, they don't seem to hide as readily...either that, or they are simply more sophisticated at the confidence game ;)

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Time to move on @Michael Lavorgna. You've been banned for the following message to a CA member. 

Yay!  It's about time!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Curious what Michael Lavorgna had to say in earlier posts - found one where he states,

Yes, I enjoyed the Vega for a number of years. Again, I think we have to focus on what *our* goal is with hi-fi. I'm looking for unending musical engagement coupled with the desire to discover more music. The only "test" for this is listening over time.

Well, guess what, boys and girls - it's your lucky day!! A competent system may deliver brilliant "objective measurements", if that is your personal lust, but also "unending musical engagement coupled with the desire to discover more music"! Gosh, 2 for the price for 1 - will wonders never cease??

So, it's OK to want both - the cake, and the eating ... now, just knuckle down and do the yards to make it happen - if it happened once, it can happen any number of times, for all ...

12 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

Wow! Surprised by Michael's behaviour. He always seems so calm in his videos.

Perhaps Michael got out the wrong side of the bed this morning ?

It doesn't seem characteristic of him.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

14 hours ago, wgscott said:

You could get a nice set of wheels for that.

I got a really expensive watch, too.  It was $100 at Costcow.  Photovoltaic Seiko.  Plus, it is analogue, so it reports the time in a much richer and authentic manner.

The important thing is that every semester you have as part of your first class a lesson in reading analog watch faces for your students....

Once they've mastered analog, you can explain to them how finding out the time in analog is a richer experience.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)