IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

10 minutes ago, kravi4ka said:

Wow, that comes from barrows who usually does not loose his calm, impressive new troll here we have ... 

@CuteStudio, could you please explain the transmission line theory that they taught you in university so we can compare with what they teach here?

Yes, well we have a special type of British troll here, one that misses social cues and is especially adept at mental masturbation.  I think the Brits have a special name for people with that behavior, but I forget it . . . I think it begins with W ?:

He is just two hundred euros and a few days away from owning a Lush cable.  Hopefully he buys one and lets us know what he hears, or measures or both.  In the meantime one can only hope we never hear from him again.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

8 minutes ago, lmitche said:

He is just two hundred euros and a few days away from owning a Lush cable.

Sorry, but with the lengthy posts, I can't see that happening. Even if the Lush was discounted to $1.58 for his sake, I wouldn't even count on it 9_9. It's too mind blowing to be proven wrong. Even investing disproportionate hours into posting here can be more than the 200 Euro punt, but still..the belief is too strong.

1 hour ago, kravi4ka said:

Wow, that comes from barrows who usually does not loose his calm, impressive new troll here we have ... 

@CuteStudio, could you please explain the transmission line theory that they taught you in university so we can compare with what they teach here?

Ah, the tribal 'burn the heretic' posts LOL.

So let me get this straight:

1. a cable maker makes a number of outlandish claims for how a digital cable affects the sound in new, positive ways, but there is no explanation known to physics or electrical engineering to account for how it does this. 

2. No measurements are provided either.

3. I ask the fairly basic question of HOW it does what it does. I'm polite, insult no one, never dispute that the cable works.

4. A host of angry posters attack me personally because somehow, I'm the bad person here. How does that work?

Are you sure this isn't a religious forum? Are we REALLY discussing audio and computers? Seriously guys, look at what you are posting, none of you know me yet your attacks are quite consistently personal and have nothing to do with engineering, HiFi or basic manners. Some of the most intelligent posts have ironically been from the inventor, if he's not swearing at me and calling me names: then why are you?

I put up a page explaining transmission lines with my post that explains it in detail as I remember it. Essentially to prevent a reflection from an end of the line you match the impedance of the line to the item it's connected to at the end. This is basic to many RF systems that use 50 and 75 ohm and pretty much every bus and serial cable out there. Indeed the early SCSI disks had manual termination so you had to fit a resistor pack to the last drive to terminate the line. 

All wires are transmission lines at some level or another, I think USB is around 90ohm (45+45) IIRC.

If the terminator doesn't quite match the line you get a small voltage reflected back down the line which can sum to voltage levels and therefore induce jitter. This is why a properly made cable can only not add jitter, existing jitter will still be there (because the cable doesn't know and cannot edit the signal), but a poor cable can induce additional jitter.

So how did you think TLs behaved?

Battling the Loudness War with the SeeDeClip4 multi-user, decompressing, declipping streaming Music Server.

17 minutes ago, CuteStudio said:

Ah, the tribal 'burn the heretic' posts LOL.

So let me get this straight:

1. a cable maker makes a number of outlandish claims for how a digital cable affects the sound in new, positive ways, but there is no explanation known to physics or electrical engineering to account for how it does this. 

2. No measurements are provided either.

3. I ask the fairly basic question of HOW it does what it does. I'm polite, insult no one, never dispute that the cable works.

4. A host of angry posters attack me personally because somehow, I'm the bad person here. How does that work?

Are you sure this isn't a religious forum? Are we REALLY discussing audio and computers? Seriously guys, look at what you are posting, none of you know me yet your attacks are quite consistently personal and have nothing to do with engineering, HiFi or basic manners. Some of the most intelligent posts have ironically been from the inventor, if he's not swearing at me and calling me names: then why are you?

I put up a page explaining transmission lines with my post that explains it in detail as I remember it. Essentially to prevent a reflection from an end of the line you match the impedance of the line to the item it's connected to at the end. This is basic to many RF systems that use 50 and 75 ohm and pretty much every bus and serial cable out there. Indeed the early SCSI disks had manual termination so you had to fit a resistor pack to the last drive to terminate the line. 

All wires are transmission lines at some level or another, I think USB is around 90ohm (45+45) IIRC.

If the terminator doesn't quite match the line you get a small voltage reflected back down the line which can sum to voltage levels and therefore induce jitter. This is why a properly made cable can only not add jitter, existing jitter will still be there (because the cable doesn't know and cannot edit the signal), but a poor cable can induce additional jitter.

So how did you think TLs behaved?

It's because the pro science folks in this forum and others take a hard line approach with a closed mind.  It shouldn't be personal and I don't think your questions were unreasonable.  Those who trust what they hear without needing hard facts to back it up have become so defensive that the immediate response to any question of noted improvement in sound quality is angry.

I think there are people who legitimately would like to learn more and find out why a device sounds the way it does.  They don't dispute the claim that it has an effect on the sound, they just don't know why it does and would like to know more about it.  That can get lost in the approach.

22 minutes ago, CuteStudio said:

a properly made cable can only not add jitter, existing jitter will still be there (because the cable doesn't know and cannot edit the signal)

I think this is where you are wrong, apparently Peter has, by trail and error, found a way to influence the signal in a helpful manner. Buy one and listen for yourself.  

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

7 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

the pro science folks in this forum and others take a hard line approach with a closed mind...

I strongly disagree with this - asking someone to offer evidence of a claim is hardly a closed mind.  In fact, it is the basis for all progress in our civilization.  The evidence need not espouse a mechanism, it can epidemiological.  And careful listening comparisons are received well by at least some of the scientists on here, tho a valid testing regime is better evidence.

Someone trying to sell cables should have a brief outline of the advantages of their design on their website.  It could then easily be linked in response to questions.  The response here is not a good way to do business.

6 hours ago, CuteStudio said:

Thank-you for the personal insult, I'm not sure why why my reasonable question warranted that response.

Peter was the first person to say what an intelligent post yours was. If you got the chance to interact with him more you wouldn't react in this manner.

36 minutes ago, CuteStudio said:

A host of angry posters attack me personally because somehow, I'm the bad person here. How does that work?

You should report any such attacks because they break the rules. Even though I haven't seen it, I haven't seen anyone say you are a bad person. At best, 'uninformed' ;)

just had a funny thought, will try to explain...

What if measurements of the Lush prove that the signal at the DAC output is influenced in a positive way....

Would this make the usual suspects aka unbanned trolls buy the cable? 

If so how objective will they be able to be when listening. I mean, at that point the listener would 'know' the cable is better than their 1.59 cable so they will be bias.

So in theory the cable could sound the same or worse than the 1.59 cable but the good measurements could make the listener believe what he/she hears is better because of expectation.

Just a thought.9_9

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

Thx John.  I await your pre-amp thread.  BTW, science also has a thing called an Empirical Generalization - we see something general tendency (say, bigger animals in high latitudes) but don't have a law or theory to explain (until we understand heat exchange a century later).  One could easily apply that to audio, such as tubey sounds, dipole speakers, etc.

But I didn't see a closed mind from CuteStudio - certainly not at first.

Peter should have noted some of the things acg mentioned.  Glad to have that info as it puts his replies in context.  But I am still wondering why a cable needs to be used to reduce jitter when we have boxes to provide galvanic isolation, reclocking, etc.

1 hour ago, CuteStudio said:

In USB, the D+ and D- lines should be terminated to ground through 45 ohms. The transmitter drives one or the other with a current source to produce the two states of the NRZI coding.

5 hours ago, mansr said:

I do not claim to be a scientist. My education is in electronic engineering.

Well, that clearly makes you completely misguided and unqualified for audio engineering.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, CuteStudio said:

Of course there is. Any system which does anything, in any area of human interest, requires all the elements in it to work reasonably correctly to be genuinely useful, and not be a source of constant irritation because "it's not working quite right!". Unfortunately, the history of audio systems over the years has created an overall approach which works against getting it right, and hence there is a constant battle to compensate for this. What approach?! Answer: the need to be able to fiddle with all the parts, use plug and play to one's heart's content ... just imagine if the car industry worked by one buying an engine from one dealer, the body from another retailer, all the suspension bits elsewhere again - and then you bolt them together, meccano like - yes, it would work as a means of going from A to B; but would you automatically achieve a totally refined, fully competent in all situations mode of transport?

The theory says that one can hook all the audio bits together and it will work 'perfectly'; the practice is, this doesn't happen. Yes, music comes out and all the rest of it - but the inconvenient truth is that enough weaknesses are introduced to cause audible issues - thus, the battle then becomes to locate and eliminate those technical weaknesses.

I have gone full hog with iFi filtering to the DAC (iPurifier 2) and 4 iSilencer 3.0's on other USB inputs. I also hAve a fanless PC with a SSD.. and a low noise PSU.. That seemed good..

But,  what I may have discovered yesterday needs to be verified by others to see if it happens to them, too..

It  all happened by happenstance.  Two days ago there was a major AT&T outage.   My DSL and landline phone were dead for two days. I decided to unplug the "red flashing light" modem.  What happened next took me quietly by surprise.

With the modem shut down having its power unplugged.... I could only listen to what was on my SSD.  As I listened I noticed what I was hearing took on a new more relaxed sound.  I found myself feeling quite satisfied after watching a live band video that I have heard a good number of times before.  I found the same thing with other videos and some music files.

Could it be?   That with the modem disconnected that Windows shuts down certain background activities that creeps into effecting the sound when the audio source itself is found on the hard drive? 

Just wondering if it was only coincidental.   Now that AT&T is back... I will try comparing again. 

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

19 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

Could it be?   That with the modem disconnected that Windows shuts down certain background activities that creeps into effecting the sound when the audio source itself is found on the hard drive?

Easily could be...  Reasons like this are part of why many choose to use audiophile sources, in my case, an Ethernet connected Audio renderer, getting all commercial computer gear as far (physically and electrically) from the audio system as is reasonable.  Just an ultra low noise Renderer, made for audio, in the playback system.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

17 minutes ago, barrows said:

Easily could be...  Reasons like this are part of why many choose to use audiophile sources, in my case, an Ethernet connected Audio renderer, getting all commercial computer gear as far (physically and electrically) from the audio system as is reasonable.  Just an ultra low noise Renderer, made for audio, in the playback system.

42 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

I have gone full hog with iFi filtering to the DAC (iPurifier 2) and 4 iSilencer 3.0's on other USB inputs. I also hAve a fanless PC with a SSD.. and a low noise PSU.. That seemed good..

But,  what I may have discovered yesterday needs to be verified by others to see if it happens to them, too..

It  all happened by happenstance.  Two days ago there was a major AT&T outage.   My DSL and landline phone were dead for two days. I decided to unplug the "red flashing light" modem.  What happened next took me quietly by surprise.

With the modem shut down having its power unplugged.... I could only listen to what was on my SSD.  As I listened I noticed what I was hearing took on a new more relaxed sound.  I found myself feeling quite satisfied after watching a live band video that I have heard a good number of times before.  I found the same thing with other videos and some music files.

Just wondering if it was only coincidental.   Now that AT&T is back... I will try comparing again. 

Well the cable is designed to carry RF into your home. It does that very well.  If you don't isolate your computer network from your cable modem, that same RF will permeate your network.  You can use passive network isolators or active Fiber Media Controllers to create this barrier. There are quite a few threads on CA about network isolation.

This thread is not one of those.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

4 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Well the cable is designed to carry RF into your home. It does that very well.  If you don't isolate your computer network from your cable modem, that same RF will permeate your network.  You can use passive network isolators or active Fiber Media Controllers to create this barrier. There are quite a few threads on CA about network isolation.

This thread is not one of those.

I use DSL... not cable.  If that makes a difference.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

55 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

People may wonder where weaknesses I talk of creep in - here's a classic example of such ...

A standard procedure I follow when tweaking is to completely shut down the house electrically - everything, absolutely everything that has some electronics and electricals inside it is rendered completely dead - no standby modes, battery running - the circuits are completely non-functional. Any piece of mains cord that is plugged in is pulled from the socket. The only thing running is the audio system - and I listen. And then I slowly bring the house back to life again, step by step, and listen carefully at each step - has anything changed? I have learned so much from doing this - doesn't take expensive measuring gear to work out if there are any undue influences in the environment - just careful use of one's ears is all that's required.