IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

what is the inductance for a typical length of the StarQuad cable?

Mogami

Speaker cable 0.6 to 0.7 uH per meter

Microphone cable  0.4  uH per meter (0.12  uH per foot)

The mic cable has thinner insulation, so the conductors are closer together. The closer the conductors the less induction but more capacitance. Inductance and capacitance are opposite sides of the same coin. If one goes down, the other goes up. For a DC power cable, low inductance and high capacitance are good things.

After reading this thread I decided I couldn't wait to buy some thicker starquad cable than the microphone spec I had. So I twisted my own QED silver Anniversary speaker cable into quad. This was the start of the madness and the beginning of the end given I would need to try and terminate it. 

I managed it eventually. A little stiff. Not sure how it sounds yet. I would really have liked to mod the PSU connector for a speakon. But decided to try and use the existing design. 

I was thinking of modifying an IFI Audio DC Purifier as the end point for my DC cable. Has anyone got a positive experience of this noise cancellation device? It's rated to 3.5A. 

DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0118.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

I have:P

my chain is a little crazy but terminates with an Sbooster 13v  with the ifI at the end. I was thinking along your lines and hard wiring it while ripping out all the internal /external wires with quad. where possible....on the booster..

Not a huge boost but took the edge off AB ING the DC P.

Wish I had the Topaz in line but my Air Link balanced isolation transformer did improve my setup. If I under stand it.. better higher frequency filtering with lower interwinding capacitance.

I even tried MU metal shield around the Transformer of the S booster.

A little rewiring may benefit and a second hand DC purifier to play with may just improve things more being hard soldered with quad. Just 4 small Allen keys to get inside, so go for it.

Just need the time to do this and all the other little jobs.. 

Please post some pics with your custom quad if you go ahead. looking forward to see how you get along. 

Good luck

Sorry for the rambling

Dave:D

Hi Dave! I would like to try the DC Purifier and have even partially justified it against the cost of the Oyaide DC connector that others want to use. 

I will see how this cable works and sounds and then decide. My linear PSU is being measured amnd first signs are some more noise than I like. Hence wondering about the addition of the DC Purifier 

2 hours ago, Middy said:

Always hard to say what benefit your setup could benefit....

I am also not clear on the benefit.  You want low inductance to reduce voltage in DC power supply cable to a DAC because the voltage might cause noise in the DAC, i.e change the output.  That would mean bits would need to be flipped, or jitter introduced.

But how much voltage change on the DC power supply is needed to cause either?  And how much Inductance results in what level of voltage?  

Also how strongly is the Inductance related to ripple in the DC power cord?  Why not just reduce ripple?

I wouldn't know Ralf, I live off the good graces of others knowledge and small items I can afford.  My take is rewire what I can and as I already have the DC purifier in line with the dual wire LPS. 

Apply John's star quad recommended tweak and remove the numerous connection's in the chain. Hacking the IFI included.

I am not sure of whats M5sime intent with his kit. 

I don't want to discuss too much of other products on a sponsored thread that's rude. But my Electroiliteracy  covers soldering only and annoying John Alex and CA. 

But for me Ralf any suggestions  always welcome. Ripple is a type of raspberry to me..:x

Quad mod idea.below to replace dual DC cable and just have one soldered chain.

Thanks

Dave

Anything out of order on this sponsored thread let me know or kill the post Alex

:ph34r:

591a3b08e0124_2017-05-1600_33_16.thumb.png.3352aaba588718274b1d9c9b58351e0d.png

44 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

speaking of not elegant or pretty... finally the Canare 4S6 I ordered three weeks ago was delivered yesterday and while waiting for the Oyaide/Canare cables made by Ghent...

:$

I doubt you will hear any benefit from the Ghent one.. Your cable looks great. Nice and simple.. Maybe a spot of heat shrink to tidy it up :-)

37 minutes ago, m5sime said:

I doubt you will hear any benefit from the Ghent one..

it is all, as usual, just about audiophilia nervosa xD

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, m5sime said:

I doubt you will hear any benefit from the Ghent one.. Your cable looks great. Nice and simple.. Maybe a spot of heat shrink to tidy it up :-)

Was going to say the same thing - a little bit o' black stuff in the right place and it will look downright sleek.  ;)

By the way, do you feel as if you can tell any difference at all in the sound?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 minutes ago, Jud said:

By the way, do you feel as if you can tell any difference at all in the sound?

not the slightest!

probably because I was already using a great cable (solid, 16AWG, 4N OFC, cotton insulated, copper. twisted in the wrong direction, though) xD

:$

Polo's DIY DC cable II.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

2 hours ago, Middy said:

Lovely Job ? 

Thank you sir...that was just a warm up before I try to do a Y cable!  That endeavor may not end up successful.  Wish me luck

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Good work @T-Bone.  I really like Techflex too though admittingly I was too lazy to actually use it for these DC cables.

A couple of questions:

1. Where did you source the cable pants?
  2. Instead of splitting 1 cable did you consider using 2 separate star quad cables?  that is what I am going to do though I firmly believe it wont result in better sound.
  3. Did you consider using the Oyaide connector on the source end?  The 4S6 cable fits really nicely in it.  In fact, I was even used a 4S8 cable with that connector.  PITA but I got it to work.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just now, tboooe said:
  1. Where did you source the cable pants?

WireCare.com - 6mm, 2-conductor.  Part #ET20.24BK

4 minutes ago, tboooe said:

2. Instead of splitting 1 cable did you consider using 2 separate star quad cables?  

That's too much like work!  I just stuck with the 4 conductor wire and split it.  I really didn't want to try and stuff 4x wires into an adapter.

7 minutes ago, tboooe said:

3. Did you consider using the Oyaide connector on the source end?  

I have an Oyaide connector but its on another cable at the moment.  I will "scavenge" it when I build version 2.0 of this Y cable.   It was a nice effort, but I need to take what I've learned and up my game for the next one.