IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, semente said:

I've been meaning to ask you if you agree with the following:

IF MQA is lossy AND lossy is not high res THEN MQA is not high-end (thus not audiophile either)

"Lossy is not high res" isn't a logically valid statement.

However, it's true that not wanting / ignoring / discarding high-res in favor of lo-res is not audiophile.

1 minute ago, GUTB said:

"Lossy is not high res" isn't a logically valid statement.

However, it's true that not wanting / ignoring / discarding high-res in favor of lo-res is not audiophile.

Sorry, I corrected the phrasing to "lossy is in many cases not as good as the high res Master" but wasn't fast enough.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

So he could indeed be shilling for MQA; or shilling for visibility and page hits on his web site/blog; or really stubborn; or just not a terribly attentive reader of others' (and for that mater his own) arguments. I'm sort of curious to see which it is. :D

It's all of the above.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 9 January 2018 at 8:24 PM, Rt66indierock said:

So could you do me a favor? Listen to the MQA versions of Foghat "Foghat" Maybelline and Foghat "Rock and Roll Outlaws" Chateau Lafitte '59 Boogie at 3:28 forward and tell me you hear a rich "reach out and touch" kind of sound.

Yes I do.  Very much a "having the band in the room with you" experience.  Not  my kind of music, but couldn't remotely be described as thin sounding.

6 hours ago, Norton said:

Yes I do.  Very much a "having the band in the room with you" experience.  Not  my kind of music, but couldn't remotely be described as thin sounding.

Norton,

Thank you for listening and reporting about music that isn’t your favorite. For me if early Foghat has an in room feel then some part of remastering changed the depth of the soundstage. I won’t know until I get an MQA download and listen carefully to hear how the bands spacing has been changed.

If you didn’t hear a slight thinness very slight then the sound is changed. More to analyze but it isn’t the sound I would expect. Certainly not consistent with Dave Edmunds produced records in early seventies.

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

For this reason I can't understand HDTracks decision to use MQA for streaming - given their vault.

Their "vault" isn't a vault. They buy the right to sell X number of downloads of an album.  They can't even sell more downloads than the X number unless they boy more "rights". That's all. It doesn't give them the right to do anything else  with the material. They can't stream it, unless they buy streaming rights. 

I'm guessing that they are using MQA versions for one of two reasons: a) they aren't being given a chance to buy the rights for non-MQA versions and/or: b) the MQA versions are cheaper. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 minutes ago, firedog said:

Their "vault" isn't a vault.

Agreed, I should have used "vault"

2 minutes ago, firedog said:

a) they aren't being given a chance to buy the rights for non-MQA versions and/or: b) the MQA versions are cheaper. 

I think b). The Qobuz Sublime+ streaming pricing has probably been set by the labels so HDTracks probably thought that's too much to charge their potential customers?

Maybe?

6 hours ago, Shadders said:

Advertising standards hopefully would examine these aspects. I do not think that only having half the information is subjective - it is factual.

Don't be naive. For an AS body to take this on it needs access to impartial expertise. Impartial almost implies people from outside the music or sound industry, and as for expertise ... my guess is that not even 10% of trained engineers totally and deeply understand sampling as it pertains to audio.

And this is even without touching the entirely subjective nature of things, as well as the non-standard language used in the MQA claims.

MQA is too slippery, too sneaky for this.

27 minutes ago, firedog said:

Again, why not just release the ACTUAL 24/96 version for streaming. There is no technical or bandwidth reason it can't be done. 

You seem to blind to this simple fact, and somehow see MQA as a needed innovation for hi-res streaming. It simply isn't needed.

I don't think you are seeing my point.  Labels feel 1. that streaming is the future and 2. MQA is an important component.  So my guess is that they don't really care about sound quality so much as getting more people paying them a monthly annuity to do streaming.  For all I know, they may just be using MQA from a marketing standpoint leveraging the sound quality to attract interest.  I have heard that mastering teams at each label spent a good bit of time evaluating and approving the encoding process.

Not every track will have a 24/96 source file.  MQA may be advantageous as it can enhance 24/48 and 16/44 files as well.

Also, you make the assumption that bandwidth is plentiful.  In my discussions with people in the industry such as David Chesky and Ken Forsythe, bandwidth at the scale of streaming is a very real issue.