IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, Fair Hedon said:

Your language is clearly intended to soften clear negatives of MQA.... "slightly lossy'?

"sounds like 24/96 playback to me"....

The fact that MQA can not deliver sample rates above 96, and that it throw out bits should be enough for

anyone to know this is garbage technology.

I am not sure this is true.  According to Ken Forsythe, if the file exists in 24/192 then 24/192 MQA can be offered.

Just now, Lee Scoggins said:

I am not sure this is true.  According to Ken Forsythe, if the file exists in 24/192 then 24/192 MQA can be offered.

Which shows you are being, what was it you said...a useful what?

MQA upsamples anything above 96 to the original sample rate. If you get 192 it is coming form an upsampled process.

LOSSLESS.

Do your homework then come back. Maybe next time you won't get a knew corn hole the size of a comet crater torn

into your backside.

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

I don't understand why MQA is relevant to getting people to sign up to streaming. People mostly sign up to streaming for convenience, all time everywhere access to music, and the big catalog. Very few people (as evidenced by Tidal) seem to be interested in anything beyond mp3, especially if it costs them a few bucks more than mp3.  

None of my well heeled friends with very good stereo systems see any reason to pay for a stream at greater than 320K. They just don't see the value, even thought the cost is small. When I tell them about Tidal hi-fi, they shrug and ask why they should switch to it from Spotify Premium. 

Audiophiles who are interested have bought into Tidal Hifi regardless of MQA. So MQA is irrelevant in getting them to sign up.  The tens of millions aren't coming. 

Most of my friends ONLY do Tidal for the HiFi version.  The coming wave of MQA encoded files is a factor in whether they keep the service.

Plus, what if there are other streaming services on the horizon that we don't yet know about.

My guess is that some industry players will see millions of tracks in MQA and be intrigued to offer a product.  That's just a guess though.

3 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

Which shows you are being, what was it you said...a useful what?

MQA upsamples anything above 96 to the original sample rate. If you get 192 it is coming form an upsampled process.

LOSSLESS.

Do your homework then come back. Maybe next time you won't get a knew corn hole the size of a comet crater torn

into your backside.

Why such a strident response FH?  I was being civil and responding to your comments.

9 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Most of my friends ONLY do Tidal for the HiFi version.  The coming wave of MQA encoded files is a factor in whether they keep the service.

Plus, what if there are other streaming services on the horizon that we don't yet know about.

My guess is that some industry players will see millions of tracks in MQA and be intrigued to offer a product.  That's just a guess though.

Yes, I get that. But they are the tiny minority - not "the market". If all the Tidal Hifi subscriptions disappeared tomorrow it would only be important to Tidal. For the recording industry as a whole it would be a small ripple.

So again,  high end SQ isn't why 99% of people sign up for streaming. The labels and the streaming companies clearly understand this at this point.  They've seen that Tidal hi-end streaming isn't a runaway success.

So there must be some other rationale for the big investment they are making in MQA.  Again, where's the money going to come from? When you find out the answer to this, I think you'll be disappointed, and understand that MQA isn't about what you think it is.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

34 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I doubt we could replicate that through other formats, such as FLAC, etc.

Exactly.  Now ask yourself why it wouldn't happen with FLAC.  It's because there is no potential for DRM or licensing revenue with FLAC.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

33 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

You are the one presenting your self as a voice of authority..and smugly so...no one here is an authority, they have just done their research.

And to add...to get *fake* 192 (upsampled) with MQA, you need an MQA DAC..which means purchasing new hardware, which means the manufacturers win, MQA wins, and more ads get placed in publications.  Follow da money. Works every time.

So what?  Every new format requires new hardware.  No one is forcing you to buy the DAC.  Audio is in part about selling new products.  That feeds R&D and pays salaries for families.  We get better products every year and adults and children get fed.  As a consumer we are free to choose how often we upgrade.

As I pointed out on another forum, DAC tech expires quickly.

23 minutes ago, rickca said:

Exactly.  Now ask yourself why it wouldn't happen with FLAC.  It's because there is no potential for DRM or licensing revenue with FLAC.

So I think you answered your own question.  If there is no revenue potential with FLAC offering then why do it?

A successful new format needs to earn money.  MQA getting fees from doing work is a good thing as it attracts investors who want a rate of return on their investment.  So what you have is a healthy ecosystem of players.

1.  MQA gets paid at each step from encoding to selling hardware licenses on compatibility.

2.  The record label gets paid from getting paid for streaming.

3.  Hardware makers get paid from selling new DACs and ADCs.

All this money enables the covering of the cost of bringing out more hirez files.

The one thing I don't easily see is how the labels get rich from DRM?  I can readily copy the MQA files I have so I not sure how that creates revenue for the record labels.

12 minutes ago, crenca said:

Well well, Lee Scoggins shows his true colors.  He is upset and has taken it personally that consumers have seen through his confidence game.  He is the "researcher", he is the "journalist", and consumers who have actually done the heavy lifting of figuring out what MQA is about are "ax grinding idiots".  No doubt at this point the smarter MQA insiders are saying "with friends like Lee, who needs enemies".

Lee, anti-consumer industry shills such as yourself can complain about the forums all you want.  We simply are not going to follow the narrative (for MQA, or anything else) that you set out for us (for several reasons).  Yes, the forums have flaws but they are an order of magnitude (at least) better at getting to the truth than researching, reporting shills such as yourself and unfortunately most of the rest of the "audiophile press".  You keep asserting some of the Big Fat Lies of MQA (e.g. that it is not a good example of DRM, that it is "Hi Res", that consumers benefit from its proliferation, etc.).  Because you say it, does not make it so.  I know your not used to being questioned, but MQA has really exposed the ugly underbelly of the culture that you are a part of.  I know it hurts, but you have been hoodwinked and truly, you should stop digging because your deep down in the MQA hole.  Perhaps you should look to John Atkinson, who has now (finally) made an honest effort to look at the cons of MQA for the consumer and the industry in general (i.e. his recent "more on MQA" article).  Despite his errors (like you he clings to an erroneous understanding of what DRM is) he gets a few things right.  It's a start.

Where is your evidence that I am a shill?  That's a strong and unproven accusation.

Just now, Lee Scoggins said:

True but the sound quality would be poor.  The point I am making is that DACs don't stay current.  I think we can agree on that.

Hi Lee,

I still disagree. People pay a lot of money for a 24bit signed magnitude DAC IC, as the current offerings are not liked - this IC is nearly 20 years old, and still desired.

The Marantz was oversampled - so did sound good.

Regards,

Shadders.

6 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

So what you have is a healthy ecosystem of players.

There's your next article for PTA ...  how everybody makes money from MQA.  Then we can stop this silly pretense that MQA is good for consumers.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

8 minutes ago, james45974 said:

There is still no proven market for high res beyond a fringe/niche audiophile market.  It doesn't seem like there would be much money to be made there! :)

You are supporting the point of my article here.  So let's assume the market for hirez is tiny as you suggest.  No new format focused on a tiny market would ever attract enough cash to be launched.

With streaming the market potential is HUGE.  Just like an ipod put thousands of tracks in our pocket, now we have a way to put an entire library with millions of tracks in our pocket.  

Getting millions of consumers to pay $10 a month is a big enough opportunity to do something.  The hirez MQA files are just along for the ride. 

10 minutes ago, rickca said:

There's your next article for PTA ...  how everybody makes money from MQA.  Then we can stop this silly pretense that MQA is good for consumers.

Why are making profits and creating value for consumers mutually exclusive?  That's ill-informed from a business viewpoint.

No one will buy something they don't get value from.  I spend $20 on Tidal every month to get these better quality files (and also to listen to new artists when I am buying records or CDs at the store).

MQA creates a mastering standard so it need $$$ to pay for the development of the filters and the marketing around the value of MQA.

You can't blame Bob Stuart for wanting to get paid for his and his team's efforts.

1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Calling it a "fake format" just shows your inherent bias.

Hi Lee,

The 253 pages in this thread has provided evidence (fact) that many of the claims by MQA are false.

Assume that this is correct - then how would you describe MQA if said claims by MQA are false ?

False format ?. Unnecessary Format ?.

Regards,

Shadders.