IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

2. I have defended the business model because I have seen the value of "data ecosystems" and as someone who has worked on recording session with musicians, I see it as a possible path to getting folks to pay more for premium music which in turn could lead to more revenue for the artist.  I am historically not a fan of record labels or how they have been managed.  That view is well documented on the Steve Hoffman forum.

I should like to ask you to expand upon this a bit more. So far as I can see, MQA is not very beneficial to most musicians, only to the corporate side, which is probably not coincidentally, where revenues where supposedly hit the hardest.  I do not see how MQA does anything for the average Joe playing for his supper and selling CDs and music downloads at concerts and on the net. 

Now understand, I think the folks that developed MQA had a great idea, and implemented it well, but - well - I also think it was mostly just another way, supposedly an attractive way, to implement DRM, which always fails sooner or later. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

That it is, although in the case of LS, it's just consultant-speak BS and nothing more.

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

I should like to ask you to expand upon this a bit more. So far as I can see, MQA is not very beneficial to most musicians, only to the corporate side, which is probably not coincidentally, where revenues where supposedly hit the hardest.  I do not see how MQA does anything for the average Joe playing for his supper and selling CDs and music downloads at concerts and on the net. 

Now understand, I think the folks that developed MQA had a great idea, and implemented it well, but - well - I also think it was mostly just another way, supposedly an attractive way, to implement DRM, which always fails sooner or later.  

When it was originally announced it sounded like a good idea: a) smaller file sizes for lossless hires; and b)specialized A/D and D/A filtering, unique to each model of DA and AD converter. The A/D and D/A processing would thus would "repair" any anomalies caused by the model of converters used. Result: perfect reproduction. 

Actually sounded like a great concept. I might have bought into that ecosystem.

Instead what we got was: a) lossy, and not that great a file size savings; b) the same generic filters for all devices, so no actual "repair" of the A/D deficiencies of the recording. No real improvement in SQ, as a general rule, especially when compared to standard hi-res.

No reason to buy into that "ecosystem".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Whatever happened to Andersen?

They were unlucky enough to have a team assigned to Enron, the scam energy company, and further unlucky enough that those in charge of the team thought they ought to protect the scammers rather than perform a true audit.

As is usual with these things, since Andersen was a prime source of money for those defrauded by Enron with the help of Andersen accountants, the entire 80,000-person firm was way downsized, and changed from primarily an accounting firm to a consultancy.  (My brother worked for a subsidiary as a retail consultant, but lost his job in the downsizing.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

14 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wouldn't do that, but you're welcome to. You wouldn't judge a mate based solely on how s/he looks.

8 hours ago, firedog said:

Not quite. Let’s say I think MQA sometimes results in a small improvement in SQ over Redbook. I then have to judge the worth of that small improvement over the non sonic costs involved with the adoption of MQA on a wide scale, and the possible sonic costs  resulting from the danger of the disappearance of non MQA hi res from the market as a result.

I really think you guys are overthinking this...and perhaps I am under thinking but I am somewhat of an audio mercenary.  I am going to listen to be best sounding version I have easy access to. If I have two digital files of the same song and I have concluded that to my ears the MQA version is the best sounding....that is the version I am listening to.  Simple.  Now, if I have to jump through too many hoops or pay extra I will have to evaluate the cost effectiveness...just like I do with any system change or upgrade.  I have a combination of files in my Roon library.  FLAC, Hi-RES, and MQA.  I select the type based upon sound quality.  More often than not I cannot reliably discern any differences but when I can I will choose the one that sounds the best to me.

5 minutes ago, randyhat said:

Now, if I have to jump through too many hoops or pay extra

That of course is the entire idea behind a proprietary format with potential for DRM like MQA: If we reach the point where other companies do what Tidal and 2L have already done, then they control your access to music, including your continued access to music you already “own.” They can charge you whatever you’ll pay not to have your music shut off like a faucet. And you better hope MQA never goes out of business, or is abandoned by the music companies for something they like better.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

They were unlucky enough to have a team assigned to Enron, the scam energy company, and further unlucky enough that those in charge of the team thought they ought to protect the scammers rather than perform a true audit.

As is usual with these things, since Andersen was a prime source of money for those defrauded by Enron with the help of Andersen accountants, the entire 80,000-person firm was way downsized, and changed from primarily an accounting firm to a consultancy.  (My brother worked for a subsidiary as a retail consultant, but lost his job in the downsizing.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Andersen

mQa is dead!

10 minutes ago, lucretius said:

"The former consultancy and outsourcing practice of the firm [Andersen Consulting] separated from the firm's accountancy practice in 1987, split from Andersen Worldwide in 2000 and renamed itself Accenture. It continues to operate."

When I worked for Andersen Consulting in the early-mid 90s it was totally autonomous from Arthur Andersen... or so we were told.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

26 minutes ago, manisandher said:

"The former consultancy and outsourcing practice of the firm [Andersen Consulting] separated from the firm's accountancy practice in 1987, split from Andersen Worldwide in 2000 and renamed itself Accenture. It continues to operate."

When I worked for Andersen Consulting in the early-mid 90s it was totally autonomous from Arthur Andersen... or so we were told.

Mani.

Not totally autonomous Andersen Consulting owed Arthur  Andersen 15% of its profits during that time.

15 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

What all this comes down to is this: Do you TRUST the people that are advocating for MQA?

Trust exactly whom? And in exactly what respect? 

Trust the technical minds minds and at least the potentional of the technology for sound reproduction? Sure.

Trust the marketing minds and the potential for abuse? Probably not.

Trust most of the reviewers? Yep, they try hard to be both accurate and mostly objective. Some are just stuffed shirts with a desperate need for recognition, but those are few and very far between in our hobby world. 

There is is no way to wrap up the issue into simple little sound bytes suitable for the evening news. The subject needs more of an NPR in depth reporting treatment.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein