IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 6 months later...

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that "MQA sounds better to me" but leading industry professionals couldn't discern any difference between MQA and the high-res original. 

I don't think we should be rude to him though. Heck, I have relatives that are both respected scientists and Marxists. I don't understand how they can hold those contradictions in their heads either.

9 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I think the MQA team has made a decision to trim off non-musical data and preserve the hjrez content in order to reach a smaller file size goal. 

I know Lee has now been banned, but it still gets me how someone can't see the contradictions in their own comments, i.e: The high-res part could be chopped off (rather than the bits within the audible range) and people probably wouldn't hear it either. Heck, given a lot of the "hires content" is supposedly ADC noise (according to Dan Lavry and others) it would make more sense. 

12 hours ago, Paul R said:

I think this is a debatable point, as MQA can definitely support higher resolution than CD, but at the expense of some high frequency (very high frequency) information, additional alias products to deal with, and perhaps, some limits on dynamic range. Still better than CD,

Isn't that a contradiction?

1 minute ago, Paul R said:

No,why would you think it is? Or possibly are you thinking a slightly decimated 24/96k file is worse than a CD? 

I can see where that might be possible, but I do not think it is the case here.  Open to alternate speculation/opinions though. 

-Paul

If that is all it was, but given they have obviously applied some form of DSP to it (at least with the TIDAL tracks I've compared), in some cases adding high-frequency aliases of the music, I'm not particularly convinced.

47 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Heck, I just ripped a CD in iTunes to use in a classroom (from a textbook) and iTunes refuses to copy half the tracks to my phone due it not being available in my region. This even though I purchased the textbook. And this isn't even MQA! So the paranoia isn't far-fetched at all.

I can't edit my post to fix this for some reason, but it looks as if this was a bug, as it now syncs without issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 3:31 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Looks like the Tidal app streams the CD quality pure PCM when HiFi is selected, but only via the Tidal app. I captured some of one track if anyone wants to examine..

HiFi-passthrough.flac 3.7 MB · 1 download

Master-Decoded-by-Tidal-app.flac 3.97 MB · 0 downloads

Master-passthrough.flac 3.75 MB · 1 download

I've had weird issues with Roon search lately. I have typed in tracks or albums which are in my library, but don't show up in search, or only show the TIDAL versions (if "Only show my library" is off) so it could be a bug. 

• 1 month later...